February 4 day itinerary review

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2017 at 2:51:18 #810516

My last post was closed so I am making another one, sorry for the spam.

Been debating/researching the last few weeks on how I should use my 4 days wisely in Switzerland. Does this itinerary seem feasible? Although I would like to stay in the Jungfrau area, I figured this itinerary was best because of the uncertain weather.

Feb 18

• Arrive at Zurich Airport in the early AM
    • Train to Bern
    • Leave our bags at the hotel, have breakfast/lunch
    • Train to Montreux
    • Explore the old town/castle
    • Dinner in Montreux
    • Train back to Bern

Feb 19 (Any alternatives if this day is cloudy are welcome)

• Wake up early, train/tram from Bern to Murren
    • Murren -> Schilthorn
    • Lunch
    • Explore a few small mountaintop villages on the way down
    • Train to Bern and Dinner in Bern

Feb 20

• Travel to Jungfrau/Schilthorn if clear and day 2 does not work out as planned)
    • Wake up early, train to Lucerne and leave bags
    • Ferry/Tram/Train to Mt Rigi
    • Open to any ideas for the afternoon.
    • Dinner in Lucerne

Feb 21

• Mt Rigi in the morning if days 2 or 3 did not go as planned and weather clear)
    • Explore Lucerne then train back to Zurich Airport (Flight at 5pm)
    • OR sleep in and train to Zurich HB, leave bags in locker and explore old town until flight

I definitely understand Schilthorn/Jungfrau/Mt Rigi area are weather dependent so I would switch my days around (prioritizing the Jungfrau region more) if need be except the first day in Bern and I would leave from Lucerne on the last day to make it to the airport.

I was thinking of getting the 4 day swiss travel pass or the 3 day and buy a ticket a la carte from Lucerne to Zurich Airport on the last day since I will not be doing much.

Appreciate the help in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2017 at 11:21:19 #857779

Hi Atojbk! and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’ll try and break down my opinions for each day. I know other members will have some excellent ideas and thoughts as well.

Feb.18
    looks reasonable to me. Anything in Montreux that you are desperate to see? I find Bern much more interesting as a city destination. (my own 2 cents!)
    However, have you looked at the Golden Pass train as an option to go to Montreux? that is worth the trip for sure if you have time!

Feb.19
    I like this itinerary. If you need more information on Murren look here. Though I am not sure about how many and which mountain top villages are accessible to you and worth your while.

Feb.20
    This trip to Jungfrau is long! Bern to Luzern (local German spelling) and to Jungfraujoch? Not sure if this is manageable…

Feb.21
    Just exploring either Luzernor Zurich before a 5pm flight is wise. Take a look at the linked pages to help you decide which city looks more interesting. If you go to Mt. Rigi I would probably skip the idea of exploring either town as well before your flight.

My thoughts on your travel pass options are limited but I would agree that the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass plus a la carte to the airport (if just travelling that day from Luzern) is best. But there are more knowledgeable rail experts on this website!

Cheers,
    Lucas

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 January 2017 at 13:18:05 #857780

Hi Atojbk,

I second Lucas’s opinion about Montreux: there’s not really an Old Town to explore like there is in Bern. The castle is wonderful though, and a stroll along the boulevard on the lake is pleasant (but might be cold in February).

A 3-day Swiss Travel Pass would be fine if you are sure about your plans on the last day. A ticket from Lucerne to Zurich airport costs CHF 30 and upgrading to a 4-day pass costs more than that. However if you end up also traveling to Mount Rigi that day it will be much cheaper with the 4-day pass. Please see here for how and where to purchase the pass: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2017 at 18:09:13 #857781

Thank you for the responses and input.

I guess for Montreux, the castle looks great but it is a long journey to see just that perhaps. Is there another side trip I can do from Bern that’s worth it? I read that Bern could be seen in a few hours so that’s why I did not want to dedicate a full day to sightseeing in Bern.

If I wanted to visit the villages of Grindelwald and Wengen on the way down from Schilthorn, would that be possible? Or would I have to go back to Interlaken Ost and go up that way. Maybe perhaps instead of Schilthorn I could do Jungfraujoch instead? Seems like a very long journey from Bern.

I’m starting to rethink if I should just take the risk and try to book lodging in the one of the villages of Wengen or Grindelwald and if need be depending on availability, possibly Interlaken since it is convenient.

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 January 2017 at 9:58:39 #857782

Hi Atojbk,

You can explore the historical town center of Bern on foot in a few hours. However if you want to take your time for the various historical sites and 20 or so museums, you could spend days as well.

Mürren is on the way down from the Schilthorn. Wengen is on the other side of the valley and can be reached via Lauterbrunnen. Grindelwald is in another valley, and you can get there by train via Wengen – Kleine Scheidegg or by cable car via Wengen – Männlichen. No need to go through Interlaken for those villages, except on your way from and back to Bern. The Jungfrau region page and timetable provide further details. It’s certainly doable from Bern. The InterCity trains to Interlaken Ost take less than an hour.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2017 at 17:01:32 #857783

Thanks again.

Regarding getting to Mt Rigi, would be best to take the ferry to Weggis or Vitznau and then take the cable car up?

Does anyone know where I can find a timetable for the ferry?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2017 at 17:31:20 #857784

Hi atojbk,

Why not do both? Take a look at our Rigi page and look at the classic route listed. As for choosing between one or the other….well only you can decide. I haven’t had a chance to get there yet so I don’t have any personal insight for you.

As for timetables, look here. On the right side under “more on other websites” click on the lake luzern link.

Regards,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘February 4 day itinerary review’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.