February mountain hut option 1 or 2 nights

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Seab2
Seab2
2 posts
Jan 22, 2017 - 8:26 PM

Hi,

This is my first post to the forum, and it will be my first trip to Switzerland. My trip starts on Friday afternoon and ends on Monday afternoon, I am flying from and to Zurich.

I was thinking to stay mostly in Bernese Oberland, but I am open to St-Moritz, Zermatt, as soon as it really worth it.

I would like to stay in a mountain hut in altitude, that is relatively accessible ( chairlift, snowshoes, winterwalking, etc ) but in nature. I might be going to Ski for a day as well, so I may try to combine. I am not looking for a resort, obviously, and I don't mind something simple, but with incredible view. :)

I still hesitate between the train and renting a car, so that will be influenced if I can reach the hut by train, or if I need a car.

Of course, I started to look for the huts, but there are soo many of them, some are closed for the Winter, and some are self-care only ( which could be fine, as soon as it is heated?Is it Heated?? I can only bring a 10Celcius sleeping bag with me )

As a quick note, I speak French as well, that may help for some places, and I'm from Canada.

Here are a few links I was looking :

www.sac-cas.ch/en/huts.html

www.arpitettaz.ch/

www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/alpine-huts.html

www.mutthornhuette.ch/

Thank you in advance for any reply. :)

Lucas
Lucas
9613 posts
expert &
Jan 23, 2017 - 4:18 PM in reply to Seab2

Hi Seab2 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Those would be the website's that we recommend visitors use.

I usually recommend looking at the Swiss Alpen Club which you have already looked at. Did you have any problems searching that website for huts? You can search by region (Bernese Alps etc.) and see pictures, what is included etc (click on advanced search).

That website will tell you if a warden is present during the month you want to visit, how long and hard the ascent to the hut is and its services. They will also let you know if it is open in the winter. THere are also phone numbers and email addresses to ask questions and make reservations (don't want to hike to a full hut!).

Most, if not all Alpen huts require a hike to reach them. Perhaps you are better served in a hotel in the Bernese Oberland or other area? Where you can drive or take a train to them? There are certainly villages on the mountains where you can stay in an alpen style hotel or B&B.

Other members may have personal experience to give you as well.

Regards,
Lucas

Arno
Arno
11357 posts
expert &
Jan 23, 2017 - 5:58 PM in reply to Seab2

Hi Seab2,

You'll find some hut-like options on myswissalps.com/ho tels/mountaintops too. Berghaus Grindelwaldblick might be of interest. Easy to reach by train and a 10 minute walk. A car won't be required, nor helpful.

Have fun!

Last modified on Jan 23, 2017 - 5:59 PM by Arno

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018