8 day itinerary late October Lauterbrunnen/Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2019 at 18:52:32 #824025

Hello,

Thank you all for your help with my questions as I’ve been preparing my trip! I have finally come up with the itinerary and was hoping to get some feedback. In particular, I would appreciate any advice about what rail pass I should get for this trip. I was thinking the 8 day Swiss rail pass but wanted to make sure it is the best option.

I will be going from Zurich airport straight to Lauterbrunnen so I can ride some of the cable cars before they close. I’ll be in the Lauterbrunnen area for 3 days, then Lucern for 3 days, then Zurich/Rhine falls for 1 day, and finally Liechtenstein on the last day.

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions, including any ideas for back-up plans in case of bad weather. I know the day in Liechtenstein won’t be popular, but it’s something I really want to do as I am trying to slowly make my way to every country in Europe and want to take the opportunity while I’m in the area. Thanks!

Day 1 – Friday, Oct. 25 — Lauterbrunnen

– Arrive in Zurich from DC at 8 am

– Arrive Lauterbrunnen around mid-day — Question: are there any scenic trains from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen? The train schedule suggests going from the airport to Bern, then Tnterlaken, then Lauterbrunnen. Are the views good on this route? I don’t mind adding in a little bit of time for a less direct route if the views are considerably better another way

– Scenic walk from Lauterbrunnen towards Stechelberg, stopping at Staubbach falls and Trambach falls, maybe go up to Murren if time (but will have time on another day too)

– Possibly train to Grindelwald if time and energy?

Day 2 — Saturday, Oct. 26 — Jungfrau

– Train to Wengen, cable car to Mannlichen, walk to Kleine Sheidegg, then train to Jungfraujoch

– Possible to do Grindelwald on the way back down? I have no real sense of how long the things will take…

Back-up plans if weather is bad: Lake Brienz or Lake Thun or day trip to Bern?

Day 3 — Sunday, Oct. 27 — Schlithorn

– Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg, cable cars to Schlithorn

– Explore Murren and Gimmelwald on way down

Day 4 – Monday, Oct 28 — Lucern

– Train from Lauterbrunnen — recommendations for scenic routes?

– Explore Lucern

Day 5 – Tuesday, Oct. 29 — Mt. Rigi Day trip from Lucern

Day 6 – Wednesday – Oct 30 — Day trip from Lucern to Bern or Lake Brienz (open to other suggestions)

Day 7 – Thursday, Oct. 31 — Train to Zurich/Explore Zurich and possibly Rhine Falls

Day 8 – Friday, Nov. 1 — Liechtenstein

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pvonk
    Participant
    378 posts
    30 September 2019 at 2:35:58 #922853

Mid to late October is when many hotels, restaurants, some cable cars and other transportation shut down (and reopen when ski season begins). For example, regarding boats cruises on Lake Brienz: The boats operate from 6 April to 20 October 2019. i was in Lauterbrunnen mid to late October two years ago and the place was dead.

Train from Zurich to Bern to Interlaken is flat and the scenery is towns and farm land. It’s once you go from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen that you gain some altitude and see some mountains. For day 4, it’s scenic going down from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken, but then on to Luzern it’s not “alpine” scenic.

Mannlichen walk to Kleine Scheidegg is about 1.5 hours. Several hours to go up to Jungfraujoch, look around and back down. Oh, about cable car Männlichen-Wengen: it operated until 21 Oct 2018, so it should be about the same schedule this year.

Luzern on the other hand will be an exciting town to visit during your timeframe. I did the Mt Rigi trip two weeks ago (via boat, train, cable car) and it was scenic, beautiful. Trains, cable cars and boats are still running late Oct. in that area.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2019 at 3:57:11 #922854

Thanks so much! I know things will be slow and a lot is closed in Lauterbrunnen at that time, but that’s ok with me. I’m not crazy about crowds anyway and there seems to be enough open to keep me busy. The Mannlichen cable car is open until the 27th this year so I should be good there…unless I misread the schedule.

I wasn’t aware of the Lake Brienz schedule. Thanks for that tip! I’ll look for other options in case there’s too much cloud cover on the mountain days. Any suggestions?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2019 at 6:41:58 #922855

Hello Satori22,

Your itinerary overall looks very nice and do-able, covering lots of lovely destinations. Well done.

The best tool to help you get an idea of time needed for your individual trips is the timetable in below link. Make sure you read how it works, it’s a fabulous tool.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable
    The timetable will show you if on your date of travel a transport is operating (e.g. Männlichen), meaning, if you find a connection you’re fine, if the transport isn’t operating, you won’t find a connection for that date.

For the hike you mention see:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

For details of validity of the Swiss Travel Pass and more helpful details use each tab of below link and don’t miss the pdf map on the “Where it’s valid” page.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass

I believe you’re well prepared for your trip but get back to us anytime for further support.

Btw – you’ll find input on practically all destinations you plan to visit by typing them into the search bar of this page.

Best,
    Steph

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    30 September 2019 at 11:46:22 #922856

We’re leaving for Switzerland today, and have some of the same items in our planned travels.

Day 4 – Since you may have gone to Lauterbrunnen via Bern, you could go to Lucerne via Interlakken and Brienz. That takes you along the lake and over small mountains before dropping down for the run to Lucerne, parts of which are also along a lake.

Day 5 – You might consider Mt. Pilatus instead of Mt. Rigi. We went to both last year and thought Pilatus was more interesting once you got to the top. If you want to do a bit of walking around once you’re there, Rigi is probably a bit better. It is also free with the STP, whereas Pilatus is a 50% discount. Regardless, check the mountaintop weather cams before leaving. Weather at the top can be better (or worse) than your departure point.

Day 6 – If you don’t go to Bern, I’d suggest taking a boat ride on Lake Lucerne rather than going back to Lake Brienz. We stayed in Lucerne several days last year, and took multiple boat rides around the lake. Boats were frequent, and there were several interesting small towns to stop at along the way. Also included with the STP, and the boat dock is next to the train station.

Day 8 – We’re going to drop into Liechtenstein too while we’re in the Zurich area. Just because. It’s so close to Zurich, we’ve never been there, and no one I know has ever been there.

Hope you have a great trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2019 at 15:55:05 #922857

Hi,

Apologies but budging in. I’m also looking at 8 day itinerary to Switzerland. Can you help advise if which option is better? Is it too rush? Is it better to base the accommodation in Bern? Or move around as I visit the places, with the Swiss Travel Pass?

Option 1

Day 1 22-Oct-19 Tue Arrive ZRH (AM) – Rhine Falls | Leave for Vienna

Day 2 23-Oct-19 Wed Vienna

Day 3 24-Oct-19 Thu Vienna

Day 4 25-Oct-19 Fri Leave Vienna

Day 5 26-Oct-19 Sat Budapest

Day 6 27-Oct-19 Sun Budapest

Day 7 28-Oct-19 Mon Leave Budapest

Day 8 29-Oct-19 Tue Montreux (Swiss Day 1)

Day 9 30-Oct-19 Wed Bern

Day 10 31-Oct-19 Thu Interlaken / Lauterbrunnen – Staubbach Falls and upper Lauterbrunnen Valley

Day 11 01-Nov-19 Fri Zermatt

Day 12 02-Nov-19 Sat Mt Pilatus

Day 13 03-Nov-19 Sun Lucerne

Day 14 04-Nov-19 Mon Back to ZRH

Day 15 05-Nov-19 Tue Fly Out of ZRH (AM)

Option 2 (from Switzerland only)

Day 8 29-Oct-19 Tue Lucerne

Day 9 30-Oct-19 Wed Interlaken / Lauterbrunnen – Staubbach Falls and upper Lauterbrunnen Valley

Day 10 31-Oct-19 Thu Lauterbrunnen

Day 11 01-Nov-19 Fri Montreux

Day 12 02-Nov-19 Sat Zermatt

Day 13 03-Nov-19 Sun Mt Pilatus

Day 14 04-Nov-19 Mon Back to ZRH

Day 15 05-Nov-19 Tue Fly Out of ZRH (AM)

Many thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2019 at 8:54:52 #922858

Hello Dover360703,

It would make sense to open your own thread to get more accurate input.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

Nevertheless I can for sure say that you will want to:
    – visit Mount Pilatus from Lucerne, it’s the local mountain of the city. (http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus)
    – make sure you get familiar with the timetable to figure out timings for your two options (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable)

For details on the Swiss Travel Pass please check all tabs of the following link:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2019 at 13:06:03 #922859

Hi Steph,

Many thanks for your input. Will raise in separate thread. :$

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2019 at 20:44:52 #922860

Hi everyone,

Thank you again for your helpful advice! My trip is next week and I am very excited!

As I was taking a look at my plans, I was wondering if I should make time to see Harder Kulm. I am not planning on spending time in Interlaken, but I am passing through there and was wondering if it is worth stopping off to see this on my way from Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne. If so, are there lockers where I can store my bag? I am just taking a carry-on bag but would prefer not to lug it up with me. Also, how long would I need to see this?

Thanks!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 October 2019 at 0:49:50 #922861

There is luggage storage at Interlaken Ost.

Whether Harder Kulm is worthwhile? Up to you. Some nice views up there, over the lakes.

The timetable will give you travel times and schedule. If you don’t eat or hike onwards up there… 30 minutes is plenty.

Slowpoke

Annika
    7104 posts
    15 October 2019 at 8:46:21 #922862

Hi satori22! If you follow the link to “Rail station services and opening hours” under “More information” at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage, you can check lockers and other facilities for each railway station.

• The thread ‘8 day itinerary late October Lauterbrunnen/Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.