Festivals in May/June, e.g. Ascona Street Artists

• PnBA
    Participant
    51 posts
    21 April 2019 at 6:10:17 #821107

I just read that there will be a “Street Artists Festival” in Ascona/Locarno on days in June when we could easily get there. However, the available information does not tell me if this festival is worth a detour, or if it draws so many people that lodging becomes unavailable and rates go zoom (like the Fringe Festival in Edinburgh, or Montreux Jazz, for example).

Has anyone been, and have any advice? Worth a detour, or only a couple-hour visit if we’re already in town? Must be fluent in German or Italian to appreciate? Book a room early or forgetaboutit?

For that matter, does anyone know about other festivals, special events, or concerts between 21 May and 11 June that we might consider? Orchestra and pipe organ concerts are special interests, but it’s very difficult to find calendars for such things. We have rail passes, so we can get to wherever something is happening if we know about it.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    22 April 2019 at 6:35:19 #909937

Hi PnBA! Unfortunately I don’t know this festival myself. I do know that Ascona and Locarno are very attractive, also without a festival :-). I’ve been there in April/May though, which is low season, and it will inevitably be more crowded during June and during a festival. Whether it’s worth a detour is hard to tell. I’ve looked at your previous topics, but I didn’t find a more or less finalized itinerary there (maybe I missed it?), so I don’t know where you plan to stay when the festival takes place. If you don’t have to travel too long for it, you could just give it a try. You’ll find accommodation suggestions at myswissalps.com/locarn o/hotels.

An overview of (cultural) events can be found here.

• The thread ‘Festivals in May/June, e.g. Ascona Street Artists’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.