Festung Vitznau and/or Festung Fürigen?

Festung Vitznau and/or Festung Fürigen?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Aug 13, 2017 - 9:36 PM

While we are in Luzern, we would like to visit Festung Vitznau and/or Festung Fürigen. If we visit one, is it worthwhile to visit the other as well? If only one, which do you recommend? We realize that they are both only open limited hours and both will fit into our itinerary.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4486 posts
expert
Aug 13, 2017 - 10:35 PM in reply to Removed user

Hi traveler7

I have not been to either one. I did visit the one near the French border; name escapes me at the moment.. I was impressed.

I have a friend who lives near Luzern, who has been in Fürigen... an acquaintance of his served there, so he got a good personalized tour..

www.newlyswissed.com/i nside-a-secret-military-bunker-in-switzerland/

I have not been in Festung Vitznau.

Based on my friends description, the information on websites about Fürigen ( apparently mostly in German, which I can translate or maybe read, sometimes) and the excellent site about Vitznau,

www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/tour-of-castle-vitznau.html

I'd choose Vitznau.

It appears to be a much more impressive installation and seems to be better maintained.. Had a much larger staff, and was kept active longer.

I hope that someone with more knowledge jumps in.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4486 posts
expert
Aug 14, 2017 - 10:06 AM in reply to Removed user

<<"I did visit the one near the French border; name escapes me at the moment.. I was impressed. ">>

Just remembered the location of the reduit on the French border, near Vallorbe.

www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/the-pre-giroud-fortress-1939-1945.html

Very well maintained, and substantial. Probably a bit smaller than the one at Vitznau, but not too far different in size. Their artillery was registered on one particular pass in the mountains, which was a logical invasion route.

Slowpoke

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Aug 15, 2017 - 2:47 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Thanks for the info. I think we will plan to visit Vitznau, and decide afterwards if we want to visit Fürigen as well.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018