Fine tuning of Swiss itinerary for 8 day trip

• philipd
    Participant
    15 posts
    13 January 2018 at 2:12:05 #814021

Hi!

Many thanks for providing valuable guidance in planning our trip in June.

We have finalized 2 Itineraries and seek expert advise from expert travelers. Which Itineraries is doable in 7 or 8 days.I WILL APPRECIATE YOUR FEED BACK.

ITINERARY:01

– Rail from Venice to Lucerne (6.5 hours).. Overnight in Lucerne.

Lucerne, visit of the Löwendenkmal and the Glacier Garden, poss. cruise on the lake. Or excursion to Mt Rigi. Overnight in Lucerne.

– Rail to Andermatt (2 hours). Scenic train ride by Glacier Express to Zermatt. Overnight in Zermatt.

– Full day in Zermatt: Tour to Klein Matterhorn Glacier Paradise. Overnight in Zermatt.

– Rail to Wengen (3 hours). Poss. mountain excursion to Mt Schilthorn. Overnight in Wengen.

– Full day in Jungfrau area: Excursion to Mt Jungfrau. Overnight in Wengen.

Rail to Zweisimmen. Scenic train ride by Golden Pass to Montreux. , poss. visit of the water castle. Overnight in Montreux.

June 24 – Rail transfer to Geneva (1 hour). For out bound flight.

ITINERARY : 02

: by Rail from Venice to Tirano

Scenic rail journey with the Bernina Express from Tirano (dep. 14:25h) to Chur (arr. 18:20h).

Overnight stay CHUR

Rail journey from Chur to Lucerne (2h).

Overnight stay LUCERNE.

Golden round trip to Mount Pilatus.

Overnight stay at LUCERNE

Rail journey from Lucerne to Wengen via Interlaken Ost (2h45).

Overnight stay at WENGEN

Excursion to Jungfraujoch by train.

Overnight stay at WENGEN

Rail journey from Wengen to Zweisimmen via Interlaken Ost by regional train.

Scenic rail journey with the GoldenPass Line from Zweisimmen (dep. 10:25h)

to Montreux (arr. 12:13h). Visit of Chateau Chillon.

Rail journey from Montreux to Zermatt (2h40).

Overnight stay at ZERMATT

Excursion to Mount Gornergrat by train.

Overnight stay at ZERMATT.

: Rail journey from Zermatt to Geneva airport (3h45). THANKS: Philip

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 January 2018 at 3:19:29 #874189

Hi Philip,

Either of your itineraries should work although I think a visit to Rigi after travelling from Venice (Itnerary31) is a little ambitious. Depends on your stamina I guess. Also Lucerne warrants more than one night.

In favour of your second itinerary . . . . of the two Panoramic Express routes I much preferred the Bernina Express to the Glacier Express. The Andermatt to Brig leg is a bit (bearing in mind this is relative to the amazing sights Switzerland has to offer) ordinary. The Chur to Andermatt leg crosses the Oberalp Pass and is more impressive. You might consider that route to get from Chur to Lucerne. You could even connect with a Lake Lucerne steamer at Flüelen if that appealed and thereby follow at least that part of the Gotthard Panorama Express Route. The scenery around the lake and especially the southern part is just stunning.

Also consider from Wengen going to Zermatt then to Montreux and satisfy your Golden Pass desires by taking an excursion up to Montbovon to experience the best part of that line.

If you do go from Wengen to Zermatt go via Kandersteg and Brig. You will then travel from Spiez on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. Between Brig and Zermatt you will also be on the first/final leg of the Glacier Express Route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 9:41:15 #874190

Hi Philip,

I read itinerary 1 as Rigi on the 2nd day after an overnight in Lucerne? Or did Rockoyster read it correctly? I agree with him if he read it right. 🙂

Both itineraries look fine to me as well – this trip is in June correct?. I think I personally might lean to #2 as it seems to “flow” better to me but to each their own – are you leaning one way or another for your own interests?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 January 2018 at 10:13:10 #874191

Hi Lucas

You are correct. I missed an “overnight”.

• The thread ‘Fine tuning of Swiss itinerary for 8 day trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.