Finalizing itinerary for our trip in late June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 2:59:15 #811978

Hello everyone.

We have finally sorted out our itenary and are looking forward to our long awaited trip. Just one or two last questions to make sure all is good.

Itenary as follows:

Day one (25/6) Arrive from Florence at 13.45 and will check in to Hotel Continental where we will be based for the next 5 days. Have a look around Luzern town as our Swiss Pass only starts on the 26/6.Just wondering, since it is a Sunday, will there be any shops open?

Day two (26/6) Using our Swiss Travel Pass, travel to Mt. Titlis for the day and maybe stop at Engelberg on the way down to have a look. (weather permitting)

Day three (27/6) Our initial plan was to spend the day at Interlaken and Bern but seeing that there isn’t much to do in Interlaken, we were wondeing would there be enough time (one day) to take the Golden Pass route to Montreux and back in a day? If i check the timetable and make an early start at 705, we get to Montreux at 1213 via the MOB Panoramic. Walk around the town (anything interesting closeby to the train station? as we do not want to venture too far off). Then we can take the 1544 train from Montreux back to Luzern via the MOB Panoramic again and reach at 2156. Is this worth it? We don’t mind the long day and we would like to see some of the scenery. Or could we go one way via the MOB Panoramic and come back via a normal train but get back home earlier?

Day four (28/6) Trip to Mt. Rigi via the Classic Round Trip and if possible a quick trip to Mt. Pilatus as well. (weather permitting again) If we do not intend to visit Mt. Pilatus, then we may make a trip to Bern after Mt. Rigi. (Mt. Pilatus or Bern a better bet?)

Day five (29/6) Train to Zurich. Visit the old town and a side trip to Uetliberg. Day six (30/6) Fly home.

My main question is: Should we make the trip to Montreux? And if yes, do we need to make seat reservations on the MOB Panoramic? Can we do this the day before we travel as we are worried about the weather for the mountain excursions and we may switch the days for travelling up to the mountains.

Thanks in advance everyone. Cheers!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 9:04:14 #863936

Hi Kamals!

Glad to see things are all coming together!

Just a few quicks comments:

Day 1 – A lot of shops and stores and restaurants will be closed yes. Some tourist shops may be open and all stores/shops in the main train station will be open as well.

Day 2 – Just remember the Swiss Travel Pass covers 50% of the trip from Engelberg to Mt. Titlis so you still need to buy a discounted ticket by or before you reach Engelberg.

Day 3 – Yes, you have time to do the Golden Pass route. I would indeed take a fast train back to Luzern (similar route) and I don’t think you need to panoramic train twice. This way you can hop on any train you want without reservations or any extra ticket on the way back. Montreux is a lovely town in the summer, you can explore the town and the lakeside and enjoy lunch before heading back.

Reservations are not mandatory, so in your case I would wait on the weather and either try and reserve online or at Luzern train station the day before; or you can try and go without reservations as well. The section between Zweisimmen and Montreux is the busiest so if you do make reservations make them for that section if nothing else.

Day 4 – I think Mt. Pilatus is a great option but perhaps not needed if you visit Rigi and Titlis; and by then you may just feel like a city visit to Bern (a very nice city) rather than another trip into the mountains! You may have time to do both mountains (or one and Bern) if you get an early start to the day.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2017 at 10:08:50 #863937

>> Then we can take the 1544 train from Montreux back to Luzern via the MOB Panoramic again and reach at 2156. Is this worth it? We don’t mind the long day and we would like to see some of the scenery. Or could we go one way via the MOB Panoramic and come back via a normal train but get back home earlier?

The fastest trains back to Luzern from Montreux take between 2.5 and 3 hours. Here is an idea to consider that takes 3 hours 4 minutes, i.e. almost as fast as the fastest route: take the local trains through the vineyards between Vevey and Lausanne. Views over the vineyard terraces, Lake Geneva, and the mountains beyond are superb. To get this route in the timetable, you put Montreux as your departure station, Luzern as your destination and “Puidoux-Chexbres” as a “via” station.

If you left Montreux at 15:56, you would get back to Luzern at 19:00, a big improvement on going back via the Golden Pass route, and with beautiful scenery for at least the first sector!

I have attached some photos taken from these trains through the vineyards to my post of May 19, 2017 – 4:32 AM on the following page if you would like to see them:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/1-day-lausanne-and-vevey

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 5:59:20 #863938

Hi Lucas and Alpenrose.

Thanks so much for your replies. Lucas you mentioned that lots of shops, stores and restaurants will be closed on Sunday….we arrive from Florence at around 1400. Would we still be able to pick up some take away’s and some beers before the stores shut? Or can we get this from the train station shops which you mentioned would still be open?

Will definetly make reservations for the section between Zweisimmen and Montreux once we have sorted out the weather. It can easily be done at the train station is that correct?

For my day 4, would you recommend Mt. Pilatus or Rigi? We have since decided to do only one mountain on our day 4 so that we can visit Bern as well. Which of the 2 would be a better bet? I have read about both the mountains and they both seem to share the same things so can’t really decide on which one to do.

Alpenrose, the pictures are beautiful and we will definetly be doing that trip back from Montreux. Thanks for that. No need for reservations for this train am I right?

Anything else that we are missing out on that we should and must do while in Luzern?

Thank in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 6:01:34 #863939

Hi…

Another quick question…are there any self service laundry places anywhere around Luzern? Will probably be needing one and the hotel seems rather expensive.

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 10:18:17 #863940

Hi KamalS,

Yes, you will be able to get take-away food and beers at the Coop grocery store at the train station.

Yes, you shouldn’t have any trouble making reservations at the train station – unless the train is full of course, a chance you have to take if you want to wait on the weather.

I think Mt. Pilatus is the more exciting journey as well so if I was choosing for myself I’d go there first.

No need for reservations on the train Alpenrose mentioned – they are only needed on panoramic trains in Switzerland.

A quick Google search brought up a few options for laundry – I’m not sure if they will be much cheaper than your hotel but maybe a little. 🙂

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 12:17:41 #863941

Hi Lucas

Oh dear! Now you’ve got me worried about reservations for the panoramic train. Should I risk it weather wise and make the booking from here for a specific day? Thought I had it all sorted out but now I feel it’s not….

Googled as well and found some laundry places so should be ok.

Thanks and regards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 12:56:17 #863942

By the way, we have also decided to do Mt. Pilatus instead of Rigi….thanks for that Lucas.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 7:00:23 #863943

If you really want to take this train trip then I think you would enjoy it even if it is rainy that day.
    You’ll still have some nice views – I did the trip in winter and still enjoyed it. Have a look at online reservations and you can see how busy the train is on the day you are thinking about taking it.

Click the link at the bottom of this page for reservations.

Have a good trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 13:39:53 #863944

Ok Lucas. I have made the reservation booking for 2 days (26/6 and 27/6) from Zweisimmen and Montreux just to be safe…Last question…what about the other routes? Luzern to Interlaken and Interlaken to Zweisimmen? Are reservations necessary as well? Or can i safely jump in the train without seat reservations?

Thanks again in advance. Cheers!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 17:27:17 #863945

Hi Kamals,

Similar to my reply on your other post – I think you can safely hop on the trains on the other routes without reservations. In Luzern at least you have the opportunity to line up early to get on the train before before anyone else (the train starts empty here) so less reason to be worried about reservations.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 11:26:23 #863946

Hi everyone,

Just a couple more questions but on Zurich this time. Since we have only one day there (we are planning to leave Luzern around 830am) can i manage to fit these few options in that one day?

Taking a stroll in the old town centre, taking a train up to Uetliberg for the view and the Lindt factory plus some shopping if needed?

What time do shops normally close in Zurich? We will be staying about 650m from the train station.Would appreciate any help or suggestions on this.

Thanks in advance

KamalS

Annika
    7103 posts
    17 June 2017 at 11:55:37 #863947

Hi KamalS,

If you leave early then yes, this should be doable. Are you referring to the Lindt outlet in Kilchberg? That’s about 10 minutes by train from Zurich’s main rail station.

Shops typically close around 18h00, although some larger shops may close at late as 20h00.

• The thread ‘Finalizing itinerary for our trip in late June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.