8 days Geneva-Zermatt-Wengen-Lucerne final touches

• jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    21 May 2019 at 6:58:21 #821753

Dear myswissalps members, this is how I’ve planned my 8 night itinerary in Switzerland…Need your valuable suggestions :

Day 1 : Land at Geneva at 0800 & proceed to Olympic museum (luggage at locker), after visiting proceed to montreux, after check in, evening stroll at promenade.

Day 2 : Lavaux vineyards in the morning & Broc chocolate factory in afternoon – is this recommended or doing it other way around is?

Day 3 & 4: Gornergrat , Matterhorn museum & five lake hike

Day 5 : Boat ride at Lake brienz (luggage at interlaken), check in Wengen, visit schilthorn

Day 6 : Grindelwald & hike to bachalpsee, if time permits Trummelbach falls

Day 7 : Check in Weggis, visit Mt.Rigi & Lucerne

Day 8 : Luggage storage at Lucern, visit Titlis, night stay at Geneva

Day 9 : Catch morning flight from Geneva

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    21 May 2019 at 15:57:49 #912933

I’m sure that on days 2 to 8, you’ll end up doing only half of what you now have in mind. Check out the “trip reports” section of this forum!

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/tripreports

It should be a great trip anyway!

Best

Snowman

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    21 May 2019 at 18:45:21 #912934

Snowman
    Since you are so confident that I’ll end up going only half, please suggest which half should I look forward in seeing.

Thanks

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    21 May 2019 at 19:47:53 #912935

Dear jatinsmehta,

It is quite natural that travellers want to see “everything”, in addition Switzerland is smaller than most countries so that people tend to think travelling from one place to the other takes no time. If you read some reports in the other section of this forum you will see that several travellers report that they decided to skip this and that in favour of travelling slowly and just enjoy their good time. But that does not allow me to be arrogant and if I gave you that impression in my previous post kindly accept my apologies.

If you want to do everything in your plan you should get up early and be on the move at 8 am, and don’t expect to have finished your day before 6 or 7 pm. Some travellers feel they are on leave and prefer to enjoy their breakfast, and don’t really get started before 10 am…

I suggest you keep your plan as it is, and decide to skip this or that depending on your energy, the weather, the experience of the previous days, etc.

Day 1: You are aware that the Olympic Museum is in Lausanne, not Geneva. Your plan is feasible (you will not be jetlagged, will you?), but don’t you want to see anything in Geneva?

Day 2: If you do a Lavaux hike (beautiful by good weather!) it will take you more than the morning. I have visited only one chocolate factory, and was not impressed. Because of their industrial secrets and for hygienic reasons, visitors were kept at a distance, and chocolate at the shop at the end of the visit was not cheaper than at the supermarket down the street.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lutry-epesses

Days 3 & 4: Okay, you got two days here. Five Lakes hike is for good and enthusiastic hikers.

Day 5: Where will you have spent the night? Zermatt or Interlaken? Wengen is on one side of a valley, Schilthorn on the other side. Going from one to the other takes time. This website has a link to the timetables. Maybe what you will decide to skip is the boat trip, but the choice is yours.

Day 6: I understand you’ll be staying at Wengen. Grindelwald is in another valley, so, as you say, Trummelbach Falls is “if time permits”

Day 7: OK

Day 8: If you’ve been to Schilthorn and Rigi, you may want to skip Titlis. On that day you travel as far as Geneva.

Good luck

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    22 May 2019 at 3:45:14 #912936

Thanks a ton for your wonderful & elaborate reply & please don’t apologies, you were anything but rude – your intention was to help me & that you were doing with your best of the abilities. No one has control over weather & i would appreciate your suggestion on bad weather. I am an early riser, 6 am is a norm for me & since I’ll be there in summer, I would prefer to roam till at least 6 pm, if not more.

1) I dont’t think a 8 hr flight would cause me jet lagged & yes I’m aware that Olympic museum is at Lausanne. I would surely skip Geneva – as you rightly said, I can’t fit in everything.

2) Lavaux is on top of my list & I’ll prefer morning to avoid harsh afternoon sun…Broc i might skip, but since I have a kid i would love to squeeze it in that day.

3) 3 & 4 seems to be the most relaxing day of all my 8 days

4) Next 2 night at Wengen……Out of Schilthorn & Titlis, which should i skip ? Which has ore mesmerizing views in 2nd week of August ?

Thanks for your lovely explanation

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 May 2019 at 10:25:58 #912937

Hi Jatinsmehta,

I added links to Snowman’s extensive reply, so you can find more details about the things he mentioned, including Titlis and Schilthorn. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, then Schilthorn is free and Titlis discounted. You can’t go wrong on either for the views. You may let the weather decide as a clear sky is crucial to enjoy the views.

With your busy schedule a Swiss Travel Pass is a good idea anyway: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass.

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    23 May 2019 at 13:21:17 #912938

Arno
    I already purchased the 8 days Swiss travel pass 2 days back.

Thanks

• The thread ‘8 days Geneva-Zermatt-Wengen-Lucerne final touches’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.