Itinerary help for 4 days in Switzerland in April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 16:36:50 #814946

My family will be arriving in Zurich Airport on April 30, we will then head to Lucern. I have few things to ask

1. Which is a better place or mountain to visit if you have a 10 month old baby? Mt.Titlis or Rigi?

2. From lucerne which is more practical to take GEX or Golden pass line?

3. We want to ride a boat, funicular,cogwheel and cable car. Which trip do you suggest.

4. Is it advisable to take 1 base (lucerne) we will depart on May 3 at zurich airport.

i will really appreciate your response.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 18:20:49 #879742

Hi Luxiuo615,

1. I would lean towards Rigi as it is a lower altitude for your infant.
    2. Both are fine to travel on (the Gotthard Panorama doesn’t operate on Mondays) from Lucerne – but due to some minor construction on the Golden Pass and the fact you have to change trains a couple times I would lean to the Gotthard Panorama Express.
    3. I can’t think of any that combine all four for you. The Classic round-trip for Mt Rigi includes a boat, cable car and cog wheel train. The funicular could be done at Stanserhorn (as well as another cable car).
    4. Yes, I’d keep one base in Lucerne.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 18:41:23 #879743

Thank you so much Lucas for the response. Really appreciate it!

I hope our travel will turn out fine 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 18:46:19 #879744

I got one last question…

Will the gotthard panorama express will take the whole day?

Option 2: take glacier express from lucerne to st.moritz then zurich? Is this doable?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 19:08:55 #879745

It is about 5 hours one-way. It departs only once per day at 11:12 from Lucerne (by boat) then train from Flüelen to Lugano (arrive 16:38). You can take regional trains back much quicker (2 hours with no changes).

See attached PDF for details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 20:07:31 #879746

If we plan to spend the last day at zurich which panoramic train is best from lucerne?

And is it still possible to take the rhine falls?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 0:14:54 #879747

>>If we plan to spend the last day at zurich which panoramic train is best from lucerne?

There are no panoramic trains between Luzern and Zürich, unless you want to take a very circuitous route incorporating part of the Glacier Express route.

There are some options for taking in some nice scenery though:

Via the Emmental: Luzern/Lucerne to Zürich via Trubschachen (2.5 hrs)

This takes you through the picturesque Emmental (the Emme Valley, from where Emmental cheese originates). This is an area of rolling hills with plenty of traditional buildings to be seen.

Via the Zugersee (Lake Zug): Luzern to Zürich via Arth-Goldau (1.5 to 1.75 hrs)

On this route, the train travels high along a hillside on the eastern side of the Zugersee, and you have scenic views down to to the lake, lakeside villages, and the mountains (including the Rigi) on the other side of the lake. Sit on the left.

For comparison, the fastest way (which the Swiss Timetable will bring up by default) takes 45 mins to 1 hr.

These trips can be planned using the Swiss Timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Should you wish to incorporate the Glacier Express route, you would be in for a much longer day (6.0 to 6.5 hrs). To get this route in the timetable, you put in From Luzern To Zürich HB (Zürich main station) via Andermatt and via Chur.

If your trip includes the Glacier Express train between Andermatt and Chur (shown in the timetable as GEX), reservations are obligatory. If you are happy to carry your child on your lap the whole time, you don’t need to make a reservation for them, but if you would like the option of using an extra seat, you would also need to make a reservation for the baby. Reservations can be made here up to 90 days before your travel date:

shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en

If you take regional trains along the same route, reservations are not required.

>> And is it still possible to take the rhine falls?

You can decide this for yourself by using the Swiss Timetable to see how long it will take you to travel there and back. It’s also a personal choice how long you want to spend there. Some people might be happy with an hour, others might like to spend the best part of the day there doing boat trips etc.

This page will tell you how to get there and other tabs provide additional information:

http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls/gettingthere

I have attached maps showing the routes mentioned above.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 6:50:04 #879748

Thank you Alpenrose. This is very helpful. I really wanted to try the Glacier Express but it seems tiring especially we have a baby with us. Will definitely consider other options you mentioned.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 13:34:30 #879749

Hi,

Is it possible to do mt. Titlis and Pilatus in one day?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 16:51:00 #879750

Hi Luxiuo615,

There are people who do both mountains on one day. Use the Swiss timetable to plan your trip and see for yourself if that’s something you’re happy with. The proper entry for Titlis is Kleintitlis.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 17:10:17 #879751

Hi Chantal,

Thank you for your response. I have another question though.

1.Is it possible to do mt. titlis and Rhine Falls? I was thinking of going to mt.titlis then check out in our hotel then go to Zurich for Rhine Falls. We already booked a hotel in Zurich for our last day since we’ll have an early flight back to Oman. Is this doable?

2. Which is more practical? Take Gotthard Panorama express or catch a train from Lucerne to Andermatt then Take Glacier Express to Zermatt? For this we will go back to Lucerne as our base.

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 4:25:18 #879752

Hi Luxiu,

>> Is it possible to do mt. titlis and Rhine Falls? … Which is more practical? Take Gotthard Panorama express or catch a train from Lucerne to Andermatt then Take Glacier Express to Zermatt?

The key to deciding what is possible and/or practical is to use the Swiss Timetable to plan out your trip, and see how long it will take. Whether or not the result suits you is entirely a personal decision 🙂

The link to the timetable has been provided above.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 4:28:49 #879753

Please do as Alpenrose suggested, use the timetable. Everyone has a different preferences and I don’t know how long you’re willing to travel on a day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 5:12:19 #879754

Hi Chantal and alpenrose,

Thank you guys for your response. Upon checking, we decided to take the Gotthard 🙂 Do we need reservation for that? Also for Titlis do we need reservation?

Thanks a bunch!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 11:13:47 #879755

Hi Luxiuo,

Yes, if you want to travel on the Gotthard Panoramic Train you’ll need a reservation – you can make it here.

Mt. Titlis does not require any reservations. 🙂 You can buy your ticket online or at any rail station office

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2018 at 18:22:19 #879756

Hi.

Cam someone pls help me make up my mind? I already got us a reservation for Gotthard panorama express, been watching video clips in YouTube of the route. I’m not quite impressed:( maybe I should have chosen golden line or glacier express 🙁

for some who tried Gotthard express pls enlighten me.thanks!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 April 2018 at 1:10:03 #879757

Hi Luxiuo615 –

I’ve looked through the thread.

Apart from the fact that you are traveling with an infant, it is not clear to me what the issues and interests are for your trip.

To guide us for further recommendations, could you amplify a bit on your interests?

And, what in particular did not appeal about the Gotthard route? The answer would help us offer further recommendations.

You might also also find a map helpful to understand the options.. Google maps is helpful; I find this useful for tourism:

map.search.ch/?pos=667500,211600&z=64

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2018 at 12:06:21 #879758

Hi slowpoke,

we want it to be more scenic. Mountains,alps a bit more adventurous. Coz I watched video clips on YouTube for the Gotthard express, the view is just okay. I mean it’s not as good or majestic as glacier. More exciting 🙂

• The thread ‘Itinerary help for 4 days in Switzerland in April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.