Swiss rail pass – check correct calculations?

• Rgcrcl1234
    Participant
    18 posts
    16 July 2018 at 14:37:46 #817300

Hi my wonderful friends at MySwissAlps .com – I don’t know what I would have done without you in my planning for my Europe trip! I am anxious to purchase my travel passes with less than 3 weeks before departure (yay!!)…I see some of the prices have already gone up. I know you have so many other friends to respond to, but may I impose on you to take a look at my spreadsheet and let me know if I made any major errors in what the passes will cover.

My itinerary:

Sat (Aug 3) arriving in Frankfurt

Thurs (Aug 9) departing for Lucerne

Sat (Aug 11) travel to Zurich

Sun (Aug 12) headed back to the USA, wishing I had more time in beautiful Switzerland!

I anticipate 2 day trips while in Frankfurt, travel to Switzerland, 2 trips to Mt Rigi and Mt Titlis, and travel to Zurich which will require rail travel. I have detailed out my proposed itinerary, the rail lines I believe we would be taking based on the schedules, which rail lines are covered/discounted by the passes, and the passes which I judged to be possible options. In the end, I believe the 3 Country Pass will be the best option; giving me some flexibility in travel and convenience in my travel between the 2 countries.

Would you be kind enough to please take a look and see if I missed anything very obvious? With MUCH APPRECIATION!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 17:36:04 #891590

Hi Rgcrcl1234,

It is hard to say in regards to convenience factor. Do note that the Tell Pass (the cheapest option) includes buses around the town of Lucerne as well. But in the end, with your trips in Germany, the Eurail 2 country Select Pass is probably your best bet.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/eurailselectpass /price

Are these prices for 2 people? The regular fare from Basel to Lucerne is around 36chf not 72. Note that prices within Switzerland do not go up, just international tickets.

Rgcrcl1234
    Participant
    18 posts
    16 July 2018 at 18:19:23 #891591

Hi Lucas, thank you for your fast reply! Yes, all of the prices are for 2 travellers, my son qualifies for a Youth ticket where available. Assuming I’ve correctly identified the rails that are covered and proper discounts, the choice is obviously between the Swiss Tell Pass with Germany PTP, or the Eurail 2 country Select Pass. I’ll take your suggestion that the Eurail is best choice!!

Rgcrcl1234
    Participant
    18 posts
    21 July 2018 at 17:04:23 #891592

Hello Lucas, please one more question…whether I purchase a Swiss Tell Pass with Germany PTP, or the Eurail 2 country Select Passpoint, or even a point to point from Frankfurt to Lucerne, it looks like I would still need to switch trains at the Switzerland border, Basel SSB. Is that correct?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2018 at 7:59:27 #891593

Yes, no matter the rail pass you have you’ll have to switch trains to actually get to your destination typically.

It might not be Basel though.

The timetable gives you the most direct routing. From Frankfurt for example you can get a connection that has just one change in Mannheim and that is it. https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Take the train departure that best works for your schedule that day. Just make sure you have a rail pass (or passes) and/or ticket to cover the entire route.

Rgcrcl1234
    Participant
    18 posts
    23 July 2018 at 3:50:52 #891594

Thank you!!

Rgcrcl1234
    Participant
    18 posts
    24 July 2018 at 5:23:08 #891595

Getting ready to finally purchase Tel Pass tickets and the 2 options on your website are: HappyRail and the SBB Ticket Shop.

The description you have for SBB says:

(1) “Tickets for cableways, mountain trains, etc. are open dated unless they can be printed at home. This even applies if you’re asked to select a travel date. You can use the ticket whenever you want. ”

Will it be obvious when making arrangements for these type of tickets whether they are open dated, even if you have to select a travel date? Want to be sure to be able to be flexible on travel date, if possible, unless you recommend that it is best to lock in the date since it is high season when we will be arriving (August 9-11)

(2)”No waiting time upon arrival: you can validate your pass yourself and immediately start traveling.”

When it notes “upon arrival”, is that referring to when the tickets arrive or when you arrive in Switzerland?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2018 at 12:38:53 #891596

When buying the Tell Pass you need to select your start date (when the pass becomes valid). After that you can go to any mountain on any date within the validity window of the rail pass.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/tellpass/price

Open-dated tickets would refer to buying a ticket to Pilatus for example. Even if you buy a ticket dated Sept.1, you can use it on any date. It doesn’t apply with the tell Pass as that trip would be free. it is just a general note for SBB purchases and not specific to the Tell Pass in this case.

Upon arrival in Switzerland. There is normally no need to validate. The pass would have the start date on it and you can start using it right way once you arrive here.

Rgcrcl1234
    Participant
    18 posts
    24 July 2018 at 14:27:45 #891597

So if I am not certain if I will make the first use, for example on Thursday, upon arrival, or the following day, can i purchase the pass upon arrival from my smart phone or does it need to be purchased before leaving the US?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2018 at 16:37:04 #891598

You can either buy the pass online or at a rail station after you arrive. Purchase options are noted here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/tellpass/price

• The thread ‘Swiss rail pass – check correct calculations?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.