Planning to cook/grill during Swiss trip

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Feeza
Feeza
5 posts
Nov 7, 2019 - 3:08 PM

Please advise where i can find butane for cooking... we plan to cooking at Swiss...

Snowman
Snowman
689 posts
top member
Nov 7, 2019 - 6:19 PM in reply to Feeza

Hello Feeza,

< we plan to cooking at Swiss... >

Where again? Check out the forum rules first!

Well, I assume you mean Switzerland (there is no country on Earth called Swiss). I am not sure about Coop supermarkets, but you can find gas for your camping cooker at outfitter stores in every camping area. Or at Migros, Coop's competitor (I can't find English on their website)

A pity, though, that you don't want to try the excellent cuisine of Switzerland. If you have special requirement, know that there are vegetarian dishes in most restaurants. And Indian restaurants at most large tourist resorts. Avoid travelling with too much luggage and enjoy your visit!

Last modified on Nov 7, 2019 - 6:27 PM by Snowman
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6872 posts
expert
Nov 7, 2019 - 11:26 PM in reply to Snowman

Hi Snowman-

<<"Well, I assume you mean Switzerland (there is no country on Earth called Swiss).">>

I certainly agree and understand.

It's too bad that people don't read the Forum rules before they post, as noted here:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/please-read-these-faqs-before-you-post-1

If they do, they'll get there information faster and more accurately.

What is the French name for Switzerland, and how is it pronounced?

Slowpoke

Snowman
Snowman
689 posts
top member
Nov 8, 2019 - 5:49 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke

< the French name of Switzerland >

The country has an official name in four languages but to mention them would be against the Forum Rules. This forum is available in English and Dutch only.

;)

Last modified on Nov 8, 2019 - 5:50 AM by Snowman
Annika
Annika
6101 posts
expert &
Nov 8, 2019 - 6:19 AM in reply to Feeza

Hi Feeza!

Do you plan to cook with some kind of portable gas set? Please be aware that this isn't allowed in Swiss hotels, and quite often not allowed or at least not appreciated in holiday homes and apartments either. If you stay in a hotel, you'd best dine out or get yourself prepared foods from supermarkets: www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/culture history/food. If you're in a holiday home or apartment, simply use the kitchen facilities provided by the owner. Those are allowed and suited for Swiss safety standards.

@Snowman: you're right about the country's name. However, the same forum rules you're referring to ask for a friendly and welcoming tone of voice at the forum. You know we highly value that. So even if you want to correct someone's writing or spelling, please do so in a milder phrasing without sarcasm. Thanks for your understanding!

Last modified on Nov 8, 2019 - 6:20 AM by Annika
Feeza
Feeza
5 posts
Nov 8, 2019 - 7:14 AM in reply to Annika

Hi Annika,

Thanks for your reply.. we dont want to cook at hotel.. we just want to cook at Oescinensee or Bachalpsee. Is it allowed to cook there?

Anna
Anna
251 posts
top member &
Nov 8, 2019 - 7:30 AM in reply to Feeza

Hi Feeza,

You can just a get a disposable portable grill pack from the shops. They are called 'einweggrill' in German. Most big supermarkets have them. Example here: produkte.migros.ch/cuc ina-tavola-einweggrill-fsc. The list of various supermarkets in Switzerland are listed here: www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/culture history/food

Yes, grilling is allowed in Oeschinensee and Bachalpsee. In fact picnic facilities are provided in these places.

I hope that helps!

Regards,

Anna

Feeza
Feeza
5 posts
Nov 8, 2019 - 7:41 AM in reply to Anna

Dear Anna,

That’s great!! Thank you for your reply... really appreciate it🥳

Snowman
Snowman
689 posts
top member
Nov 8, 2019 - 8:50 AM in reply to Feeza

Dear Feeza,

I hope I did not offend you with my remark in post #2 of this thread. Indeed I should not be the language policeman on this forum, moreover English is not my mother tongue and I make frequent language mistakes myself. The remainder about the country name in the Forum rules has been formulated by the moderators, I would not thought of it myself, but indeed, I should rather observe the rule about courtesy before trying to be funny at the expense of our visitors. So all my apologies!

It is great that you wish to visit Oeschinensee and/or Bachalpsee, I hope you will enjoy these beautiful places!

Welcome to Switzerland!

Feeza
Feeza
5 posts
Nov 8, 2019 - 8:58 AM in reply to Snowman

Dear Snowman,

Its okay... sorry for wrong spelling “swiss”. 😅 I just wanna type short form for Switzerland.. We will go both Oeschinensee & Bachalpsee since we go to Switzerland for 4 days 3 night. 🥳

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6872 posts
expert
Nov 8, 2019 - 10:53 AM in reply to Snowman

<<" I should rather observe the rule about courtesy before trying to be funny at the expense of our visitors. So all my apologies!">>

I thought the comments about Dutch and English were funny, so there are two of us.

However, my point was that sometimes forum posters have been exposed to the French language at some point, and it would be a reasonable guess at a transliteration to go from "La suisse " to "Swiss." French is not my mother tongue, so I may not pronounce the name correctly, but it I find it similar to the English word.

In this case, I was wrong. ;-(

Slowpoke

pvonk
pvonk
233 posts
Nov 8, 2019 - 9:18 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Swiss French is my mother tongue (although I confess it's gotten very rusty - I live in the US now). My relatives in the French part pronounce Suisse similar to "Swiss" but more like "sweese".

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6872 posts
expert
Nov 8, 2019 - 10:06 PM in reply to pvonk

<<"Swiss French is my mother tongue (although I confess it's gotten very

rusty - I live in the US now). My relatives in the French part pronounce

Suisse similar to "Swiss" but more like "sweese".">>

Thanks. That's the point that I was making. There is a whole range of French language skills around the world, from colonial times, and from the time when French was the international language of diplomacy.

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019