Fine tuning 11 day Swiss May itinerary

• shuchirumit
    Participant
    25 posts
    6 May 2018 at 16:45:56 #815777

Hi. I am back with few more questions on my itinerary.

We are family of 4 . 2 adults, 2 kids – age 11 and 8. Travelling to Switzerland in the May. We are going to purchase 15 dyas STP with family card.

Final itinerary

21st May – 6:55 am land at Zurich catch train to Grindelwald from Zurich airport.

Reach Grindelwald by 12 pm.

22nd May – Grindelwald – start early morning for Schilthorn -Piz Gloria

Planning for circuit which is highly recommended on this forum. Lauterbrunnen – Grütschalp –Murren- Gimmelwald- Stechelberg- Lauterbrunnen circuit with Trummelbach Falls

Planning for easy walk while coming back from Stilthorn either from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen Or Panoramic walk from Mürren to Grütschalp

23rd May – Grindelwald – paragliding at First, trooti bike, First cliff walk, trek to Bachalpsee

24th May – Explore around Wengen, Thun and Interlaken

Start early morning . 1st half (hike from KS to Wengeralp. Hoping that the trail would be open at this time of the year)

2nd half (strolling along Interlaken’s famous “Höheweg” promenade/ Oberhofen at Thun depends upon how much time we have in hand)

25th May – Train to Lucern by Golden pass route.

Reach Lucern by afternoon. Half a day chocolate factory tour.

26th May – Lucern – Mt. Titlis

27th May – train to Lugano through fastest route. Explore Lugano and Gandria.

28th May – Catch Bernina Express. Lugano- Tirano- Chur. Chur to Lucern by regular train. Over night at Lucern

29th May – Lucern -Mt. Rigi

30th May – Train to Zurich. Explore Zurich -old town

31st May – Flight back home at 11:20. am

Few questions based on above itinerary

1) Any recommendations how to spend 21st in and around Grindelwald? From the closures list provided on this forum, I came to know that cable car from Grindelwald-männlichen might be running on this day. If it is so, is it recommended? Any other recommendation for this day? Wanted to keepbackup plan in case of closure.Would highly appreciate suggestions.

2) Is 24th doable? Since it is a leisure trip, do not want to rush for the sake of tick mark on the list. If we have time to explore only one town after doing Wengen which one is more pretty – Interlaken or Thun?

3) During bad weather day is Ballenberg Open-Air Museum recommended during Grindelwald stay?

We are at Lugano on Sunday.Anything else recommended in Lugano? Is swimming in the lake good idea in the month of May ?

4) Walk from Gandria to Lugano – can someone give me inputs if it is worth doing

5) After reading reviews of Schloss Meggenhorn Near Lucerne quite tempted to visit. Is it possible to accommodate it after Titlis or Rigi day trip?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2018 at 5:10:39 #884432

Hi Shuchirumit,

Looks like a great trip. Well done!

1. Have a look at our Grindelwald page here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gr indelwald/activities
    2. Skip Interlaken. There is not much to see. Thun is pretty. I like it a lot.
    3. I haven’t been there. Maybe you’ll find a review on this website when you use the search box at the top of this page?
    4. I always do this walk when I’m in that area. When I walk Lugano – Gandria I treat myself with a nice lunch in Gandria (restaurant Locanda Gandriese). When I take the boat to Gandria and walk back to Lugano I by myself a drink at Piazza della Riforma
    5. I haven’t been to the Schloss but knowing that you don’t need a full day for Mt. Titlis and Mt. Rigi I would say it’s possible to fit it in.

Enjoy your trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2018 at 8:34:05 #884433

>> 26th May – Lucern – Mt. Titlis … 29th May – Lucern -Mt. Rigi … After reading reviews of Schloss Meggenhorn Near Lucerne quite tempted to visit. Is it possible to accommodate it after Titlis or Rigi day trip?

No, not if you want to go inside. The castle is only open on Sunday afternoons.

Alpenrose

shuchirumit
    Participant
    25 posts
    8 May 2018 at 3:18:41 #884434

Thanks Chantal for the reply and especially for recommonding Locanda Gandriese .

Thanks Alpenrose for info on Schloss Meggenhorn

looking for some more suggestions if someone has to offer as how to spend 21st around Grindelwald. I have checked the page suggested by Chantal. We are not looking at any hikes on 21st after long international flt.

Thanks once again to the fantastic forum

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 4:39:05 #884435

On the 21st….What about storing your bags at Interlaken Ost station and trying a lake cruise? Lake Thun or Brienz?

shuchirumit
    Participant
    25 posts
    9 May 2018 at 7:04:26 #884436

Thanks Lucas

This plan was in back of my mind but somehow was not albe to give a shape to it. Thanks a lot for helping me out with it.

• The thread ‘Fine tuning 11 day Swiss May itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.