About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum 11-day September itinerary Zurich/Jungfau region
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

11-day September itinerary Zurich/Jungfau region

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
GoGiantsfan
GoGiantsfan
47 posts
Sep 6, 2021 - 6:20 PM

Of course all this planning could go right out the window if there is a lot of rain next week. But, keeping our fingers crossed. Days are not set in stone all based on weather.

Day 1 Arrival from NY . Train from ZRH to Grindelwald check into Chalet.

2nd day - Train to Wilderswil, cogwheel to Schynige Platte. 4 Mile Panorama hike.

3rd day - Cable car to First. Cliff walk, Hike to Bachalpsee. (depending on weather for views continue to Faulhorn). Return on Flower trail to either the First Flyer to mountain cart to trott bike back to Grindelwald. Or follow the flower trail down to Bort and pick up just the Trott bikes.

4th day - Train to Lauterbrunnen... Rent ebikes from Imboden Bikes to explore the valley, falls and take the bikes up to Murren in the morning. Afternoon. Cog train to Wengen then Royal ride up to Mannlichen. Walk to Klein Scheidegg (2.5 miles) and then train back to Grindelwald or Eiger Express.

5th day - Train to Kandersteg, Cable car up to Oeschinen Lake. Take the Oeschinensee Panorama Hike 5 miles.

6th day - Eiger Express to Eigerglstscher station then Jungfraujoch railway to the Top of Europe. Return Hike Eiger Trial (north face) 3.75 miles to Alpiglen and then train back to Grindelwald.

7th day - Free day. Canyoneering, Paragliding, whitewater rafting?

8th day - Check out early.. train to Lucerne. Golden roundtrip to Mount Pilatus morning... maybe Loop Tours Lucerne Cargo bike tours in the afternoon.

9th day - Day trip to Mt Rigi Train to Zurich.

10th day Train from ZRH to Konstanz. Boat ride down the Rhein stopping at Stein am Rhein and Schaffhausen. Train back from Schaffhausen to ZRH

11 day - Flight back to NY

Rainy Day: Trip to Bern,

Catch boat in interlaken to Thun ..Maybe St. Beatus Cave or Spiez Castle .

Boat on Lake Brienz Get off at Giessbach Waterfalls hike end in Brienz train to Aare gore.

Grindlewald Gorge, Sports Arena, Spa day?

Anna
Anna
1469 posts
top member &
Sep 6, 2021 - 6:41 PM in reply to GoGiantsfan

Hi GoGiantsFan,

Itinerary looks great!

Fingers crossed for good weather :)

Regards,
Anna

GoGiantsfan
GoGiantsfan
47 posts
Sep 6, 2021 - 6:46 PM in reply to Anna

Thanks Anna. Sorry for the mis spelling in the title. Do a lot of forecast divert back to rain showers each day. I know I am a week out but seems like its showing rain everyday or is that just common until you get closer?

kim11
kim11
531 posts
top member
Sep 7, 2021 - 5:46 AM in reply to GoGiantsfan

Weather in the mountains is quite unpredictable, especially more than one or two days out. Meteoblue.com does, IMO, the best job of forecasting. The site will give you one week forecast, forecast for each day by every couple of hours, and the confidence level in the prediction

A typical weather pattern is sun during day, clouds beginning to form mid to late afternoon, then a short "happy hour" shower around 5 or 6 pm. However, is anything typical these days? :-)

Despite the forecast for the day we always carry a rain jacket on our daily outings.

Anna
Anna
1469 posts
top member &
Sep 7, 2021 - 5:56 AM in reply to GoGiantsfan

Hi GoGiantsFan,

I did a quick check on the Swiss Meteo website and it seems like for the next 6 days in Grindelwald, there would be a mix of sunny intervals with intermittent and isolated showers on some days and just cloudy on other days. If it rains, I don't think it will be raining all day. These are just forecast by the way so it could change daily.

Link to Swiss Meteo website here: www.myswissalps.com/weather (links to other websites are listed on the right hand column)

Regards,

Anna

Mary R
Mary R
8 posts
Sep 7, 2021 - 6:20 PM

Hi, We have been in Wengen for a month and will return to USA next week. I have found that the Meteoblue app is very accurate for weather forecasts for this area. We have used it to plan our activities for each day. Also in the past month, almost all of the rain has occurred in the evening. We have had two days when we had some rain during the day but we were still able to get out for short hikes. I have not read your previous posts, but the other essential app is SBB Mobile for the train schedules/connections/platforms. We did many of the hikes that you have mentioned, although we are 71 and 78 and do not do difficult trails anymore. Of the many hikes we have done in the past month some of our favorites are: First to Bachalpsee, Schynigge Platte Panorama, and Oeschinensee. We have done the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg or on down to Wengenalp three times since we have been here. We also enjoy walking the trails in the Murren area. Tomorrow we plan to return to Brienz for another visit as we did not get to the Ballenberg Museum on our first visit and there are also some nice hikes in area. Thun is also a very nice town for a day visit and to wander around for awhile. i do not know your arrival date but Saturday is the Jungfrau Marathon. The runners start in Interlaken run to Lauterbrunnen, up the mountain to Wengen and then on past Kleine Scheidegg. Everything has been wonderful for our visit, people are friendly and great and the mountain views are incredible. I hope you have a wonderful visit and enjoy every minute. Thanks

GoGiantsfan
GoGiantsfan
47 posts
Sep 7, 2021 - 6:34 PM in reply to Mary R

I appreciate all the information. I download the Meteoblue and Metoswiss. Some other have 50 and rain and others have 68 and sunny. I guess thats we pack in layers:). Mary, how wonderful you get to spend some much time there. We have back up plans on back up plans. I would be happy with just few clear days to get a couple hikes in with great views.. We will see.. I arrive Sunday.

Regarding train tickets. If I have 1/2 fare card and the Berner Oberland pass. Should I just buy a ticket from ZRH to Lucerne and then When I change trains in Lucerne to Grindelwald the Regional pass will cover it?

Thanks..

Mary R
Mary R
8 posts
Sep 7, 2021 - 6:44 PM in reply to GoGiantsfan

Since we were staying a month, we got the One Month GA card which covered all of the travel from city to city and then we paid half fare on the mountain rails, gondolas. The fare was covered from Zurich to Wengen but to use the Wengen gondola, it is half fare or to take the train higher on the mountain such as to Kleine Scheidegg, it is half fare. We did not have any of the regional passes , just the Swiss GA pass. The passes can be very confusing. Sorry, i can't be more helpful.

Anna
Anna
1469 posts
top member &
Sep 7, 2021 - 6:50 PM in reply to GoGiantsfan

Hi GoGiantsFan,

Yes, you can use the Swiss Half Fare Card to get discounted tickets from Zurich to Lucerne. From Lucerne to Grindelwald, there's no need to get tickets. Just show your Regional Pass Bernese Oberland when asked. You can download the validity area for the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland here: www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/validity

Enjoy your trip!

Regards,

Anna

Annika
Annika
6579 posts
expert &
Sep 8, 2021 - 7:45 AM in reply to Mary R

Hi Mary R!

Thank you for sharing your experiences! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed such a good time in Wengen. It's an amazing place indeed. How wonderful that you were able to make many of those beautiful hikes!

Would you be willing to write down your experiences here in our trip report forum: www.myswissalps.com/forum/tripreports? This way your tips can be found by many more visitors. It would be a great help for anyone planning their trip :-). No obligations of course!

Last modified on Sep 8, 2021 - 8:11 AM by Annika
Mary R
Mary R
8 posts
Sep 8, 2021 - 3:10 PM in reply to Annika

Will be happy to share. I used a lot of information from your site to plan our trip and various activities. I always found different people's experiences and recommendations very helpful in thinking about what we may enjoy. Will write a trip report once we get settled again in US. Thanks!

Marjie
Marjie
9 posts
Sep 9, 2021 - 3:26 AM

Just downloaded the Matteo Blue app - thanks for tip! It shows sunny days for our time in Wengen starting this Sunday, and weather.com predicted 2 weeks of rain. Feeling more optimistic - love MY SWISS ALPS!

Ildiko
Ildiko
1263 posts
top member &
Sep 9, 2021 - 6:30 AM

Hi Marjie,

I am using the MeteoSwiss app, they even have cloud animation that I like to check before going up a mountain top. You might want to try that too.

Have a safe and lovely holiday,

ILdiko

GoGiantsfan
GoGiantsfan
47 posts
Sep 10, 2021 - 7:07 PM

Leaving tomorrow and feeling less and less optimistic about the weather:(. I have the Chalet in Grindelwald for the week but I would have no problem training out to another part of the country for a couple days if the weather is that bad. (that is of course if I can find sun somewhere) . The weather has been so great over the last month. I just told my husband if its that bad and gets better right before we leave I will want to stay a couple extra nights and just move our flights.

Anna
Anna
1469 posts
top member &
Sep 11, 2021 - 3:58 PM in reply to GoGiantsfan

Hi GoGiantsFan,

The weather forecast is predicting a bit of rain next week. Here's hoping the weather clears up when you arrive in Switzerland.

Regards,

Anna

GoGiantsfan
GoGiantsfan
47 posts
Sep 11, 2021 - 4:04 PM in reply to Anna

Thanks . Arrive tomorrow so looks like I’m going to have pack 7 days of outdoor stuff to one day on Monday . Any thoughts what I should try to get done in one day . ? Hoping by next weekend it clears out .

Anna
Anna
1469 posts
top member &
Sep 11, 2021 - 6:39 PM in reply to GoGiantsfan

Hi again,

Hopefully it's just intermittent showers and you'd still get to do all the activities as planned. I'd probably do one of the one of the longer hikes if I'm sure the weather is clear the whole day.

Regards,

Anna

Annika
Annika
6579 posts
expert &
Sep 12, 2021 - 9:32 AM in reply to Mary R

Wonderful you'll be sharing your experiences, Mary_R. Many thanks in advance :-). Have a good flight back to the US!

Annika
Annika
6579 posts
expert &
Sep 12, 2021 - 9:40 AM in reply to GoGiantsfan

Hi GoGiantsfan! If all goes well you'll arrive today. I'm not too pessimistic about the Grindelwald forecast to be honest. Wednesday doesn't look that good, but Monday and Tuesday do! Thursday and Friday look like a mix of clouds, sunny spells and possibly some showers. I think you'll be able to realize beautiful plans.

If you want to do a lot in the region within one sunny day, maybe this 1-day itinerary is a good start: www.myswissalps.com/onedayjungfrauregion.

Boat trips (www.myswissalps.com/boatlakethun, www.myswissalps.com/boatlakebrienz) and the fun activities at First (www.myswissalps.com/grindelwaldfirst) or Pfingstegg (www.myswissalps.com/pfingstegg) might be nice if it's a bit cloudy but not raining. Town/city trips are nice for bad weather days too. Consider Thun or Bern (www.myswissalps.com/bern) for example.

I hope that weather won't mess up your plans and that you'll have a wonderful stay in Grindelwald. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Last modified on Sep 12, 2021 - 9:41 AM by Annika

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021