Recent Switzerland holiday – thoughts/comments

• boshyd
    Participant
    58 posts
    27 August 2018 at 20:31:06 #818116

Hi Folks, thanks to everyone in the forum my entire trip went almost as per plan. I squeezed in Ballenberg after Brienzer-Rothorn and skipped Schilthorn. Some comments/observations:

1. SBB website didn’t accept my credit card for Bernese Oberland pass purchase. I was able to buy tickets just fine though. I think different vendors handle payments for passes vs tickets and my card didn’t work for passes sold through SBB website. Tried to call the number but nobody responded, decided to go to Lucerne station for purchase as Happyrails.com had one day turn around which I couldn’t wait.

2. When I went to Lucerne SBB office to purchase the pass the lady giving out tickets to wait for counters said they don’t sell BO passes. I was very puzzled and didn’t know what to do for few minutes as I had planned entire day assuming I will have pass. Then I remembered reading on this forum that someone purchased pass in Zurich so asked her to check with her colleagues. She refused first but then did check and came back sheepishly and said yes they did sell passes, phew!

3. Smoking is very rampant. People are smoking on the platform seconds before getting onto train. I found this very annoying compared to the States.

4. Lucerne was much much busier than what the photographs make it out to be.

5. Nobody sells lemonade. All lemony drinks come with fizz and my kids are not used to this. Some hot afternoon days they were craving for this, and I wasted time looking in multiple Kiosks and Coops.

6. Glacier Express from Chur to Andermatt is way overrated. Should have skipped this.

7. Boat ride from Fluelen to Lucerne was incredible.

8. One gets bored of riding cable cars/trains in the same route more than once so don’t ever buy passes to enjoy unlimited nature of rides, buy it only if it’s cost effective.

9. Most of restaurants I visited had lousy service compared to the states.

10. Finally, semi regret is I was unable to squeeze in some time to buy gourmet chocolates. Should have planned for this than assume I will pick something on the way.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Pickergal
    Participant
    88 posts
    28 August 2018 at 3:03:48 #895142

Hi Boshyd,

I’m glad your trip almost went according to plan. I assume that meant you had a good time. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but we had a much different experience than you had.

Not once did we notice excessive smokers and we are not smokers.

I’m sure Lucerne was busy when you were there. Summer is the busy season after all.

We were in Switzerland for two weeks last September and visited numerous restaurants. We cannot think of one time we had a bad experience. Your experience must have had something to do with the busy season.

I am not trying to be argumentative but if I was a new reader to myswissalps.com, I would be left with some negative thoughts about visiting Switzerland. Out of your ten points only one was a positive thought about your trip. Did you enjoy yourselves? I sure hope so because I think Switzerland is the most beautiful place on earth.

boshyd
    Participant
    58 posts
    28 August 2018 at 3:27:08 #895143

Hi Pickergal, fair points. We had a fabulous time. I should really have posted these random thoughts as continuation to my posts where I discussed my itinerary but they were closed so started a new thread. It’s definitely not my intention to drive readers away but more to document some of the things to watch out for.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2018 at 7:30:52 #895144

Hi Boshyd,

Thanks for your thoughts and comments – they are helpful either way I think. I’ve moved your post to the trip report forum and If you want to add anything about your itinerary, other experiences and/or pictures please do! But only if you have the time of course. 🙂

I agree about the smoking issue – I’m amazed such a well-educated country has this many smokers. Highest smoking rates in Europe apparently and oddly one of the few countries where smoking rates don’t decline after an university education. I’d read this on a Swiss news site about a year or two ago.

I’ve never had service issues at restaurants though. I love that you don’t tip either as they are paid quite well. Of course in tourist season in the more popular towns like Lucerne anything is possible!

Interesting point on lemonade. I’ve never thought of it before but a lot of drinks are carbonated! I used to hate sparkling water when I first traveled in Europe but now I can’t drink anything else! I think maybe iced tea would be a non-fizzy option but perhaps with kids it was lemonade or nothing! 🙂

Did you not like the Glacier Express train or the route itself? For future members, you can take the same route but on regional trains if you think the Glacier Express train itself wasn’t worth the reservation cost.

Definitely always plan time to buy Swiss chocolate! 🙂

Arno
    15482 posts
    28 August 2018 at 12:51:52 #895145

Thanks Boshyd for sharing your experience here! Regarding restaurant service: did you refer to speed of service? As I know that’s a difference between the US and many European countries. Things tend to go a bit slower here. You will have to ask for the bill for example. It would be considered rude to just present it unsolicited, but on the other hand this is one of the things that can make the whole experience a bit slow-paced 🙂

We also prefer non-carbonated drinks. And indeed it can be difficult to find, but supermarkets like Coop and Migros do have products like that. Do come back to try, and for the chocolate of course 😉 Visit a Läderach shop and you’ll be pleasantly surprised – by the chocolate, not by the price.

boshyd
    Participant
    58 posts
    28 August 2018 at 13:05:05 #895146

I will come up with a trip report as time permits, least I could give back to the forum.

Lucas, to your point about Glacier Express, it’s one of those things if you don’t do it you regret and after you did it, you wish you could have spent time elsewhere. I am referring to the hassle I had gone through to make GEX happen vs the satisfaction I got.

The short ride itself was great and reservation cost is not too much in grand scheme of things. However, to get onto GEX I travelled from Basel to Chur, booked a hotel in Chur (more expensive than Lucerne per night), lugged my suitcases first to Chur and then all the way back to Lucerne (base from 2nd night) in trains and boat. I should have probably just made Lucerne my base, catch an early train to Chur and did it that way. Would have been easier with luggage and one less check in check out.

boshyd
    Participant
    58 posts
    28 August 2018 at 13:11:24 #895147

Hi Arno, I am specifically referring to lemonade, I did find other grapefruit juice etc but my kids wouldnt have it 🙁

I did plan to go to Laderach in Basel on way back but it got tight so skipped. I did walk past/go into chocolate stores in Lucerne and Interlaken but at that moment wasn’t in mood for shopping for chocolates or didn’t know I won’t get another opportunity.

When I refer to service, it’s from the moment we enter the restaurant, people took forever to seat us, they were just walking past, then once seated took long time to take our orders, the tone they used while taking orders, etc etc. And after all this vegetarian food was meh, so overall it added to the effect.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2018 at 14:41:12 #895148

Valid points on the Glacier Express. I don’t think you can get to Chur in time for the GEX departure from Lucerne…you’d have to get going quite early if anything. I was able to connect from Zurich to Chur in the morning and take the Glacier Express to Zermatt though.

I do find restaurants in Switzerland and other German countries to be slower paced over Canada. The German people like to sit and relax at their meal. They have what they refer to as Sitzfleish.

It is much worse at family gatherings. They sit for HOURS. I think this spills over to restaurants as well. They expect you to take your time. In Canada and the US the severs want you seated, fed and out ASAP for turnover and more tips. This is a good topic for forum members in case they are in a rush when going to a restaurant (outside touristy areas especially). 🙂

Thanks again!

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    29 August 2018 at 10:11:12 #895149

Interesting conversation about service.

I really liked the slower pace of meals, probably as I was on holidays and wanted it to go on forever 😀 but never felt ignored or avoided.

Also, I guess we have the faster turnover service in Australia too, and I really dislike that feeling of “well, you’ve eaten, can you just move on now?” that we get here at home.

Have to add, we don’t eat out all that much, but we are returning to the Alpenrose in Wengen as we loved the half board, even breakfast was a fine dining experience. So, for us, the dining was actually a highlight. And one of my fondest memories is a gorgeous walk to Maloja, then a fabulous lunch in their outdoor area.

Actually, I just loved everything, and we are returning next year for a month.

(Got to admit, I hate the smoking, that is one thing we got right here, smoking is very restricted here. )

MyTravels
    Participant
    25 posts
    30 August 2018 at 4:12:18 #895150

Hi Boshyd

Thanks for the informative post, totally get were you were coming from regarding the lemonade, I had a similar experience trying to find rum and raisin ice cream (which for some reason became an obsession of mine whilst in Switzerland on my holiday this year). I tried every ice cream shop in every town/city I visited with no luck until I travelled to Yvoire (across on the ferry from Nyon) and found an ice cream vendor that sold it. It’s funny the things you crave when you are holidays – I would never even think of buying a rum and raisin ice cream in Australia in summer so go figure!!!

Like Adelaidean, I really enjoyed the slow paced service in restaurants, nothing like a leisurely meal whilst taking in the scenery in Switzerland, in Australia there is now a practice of 2 sittings in some restaurants which really spoils the ambience when you are effectively been rushed out the door before the food has had time to settle on your stomach.

Nonetheless, it sounds like you had a great time in an amazing country, so much to see and do, I never get tired of it (6 trips in the past 8 years) and still planning for the next one.

Cheers

My Travels

boshyd
    Participant
    58 posts
    30 August 2018 at 14:23:19 #895151

Thought I would write a quick trip report.

Day 1 – arrived in Paris and took train to Basel. From there got onto train to Chur. TGV to Local train station transfer with luggage took more time than anticipated. So best to have at least 30 min buffer. Had purchased Swiss half fare tickets and wanted to buy tickets to Chur in the app but app kept erroring out. Train had arrived by then so just got onto train without tickets hoping I could explain issue to ticket collector. Luckily restart of app fixed the issue. Arrived in Chur and checked into ABC Hotel which was right across station. Explored Chur that night, all streets were very quiet with everything closed and very few people around. Had nice dinner at Ostello where waiter told us it was a Holiday. That explained all the quiet streets. But this meant we got awesome pictures!

Day 2-

Next morning checkout out, picked up some lunch in Coop and took Glacier Express to Andermatt, enjoyed the 2 hour ride. Went to Goschenen and then to Fluelen to catch the boat to Lucerne. Did all this with 2 large suitcases and it wasn’t an issue. Fluelen dock was amazing. The water color has a blue green hue and the lake here looked more beautiful than closer to Lucerne. The crew on the boat showed me a place to stow my luggage. Enjoyed the 3 hour ride and arrived in Lucerne. Checked into hotel across the station, went out to explore Lucerne, Lion Monument, Chapel bridge. Wanted to go to Bourbaki-Panorama but it was closed. Was interesting to see all the Asian tour groups come to Lion Monument spend 10 seconds and leave 🙂 Tried an Indian restaurant and regretted it.

Day 3-

Next day went to Lucerne station and bought Saver Day Pass. Had been trying to purchase it previous 2 days but had issues so had to dole out full fare of 75 each for One Day Travel Pass. First went to Stanserhorn, came back in afternoon to Lucerne, had lunch in station. Then left for Rigi via Arth-Goldau. Enjoyed 2-3 hours on top, and did a hike down from Rigi-Staffel to Romiti. Last section was too rocky. When we arrived at Romiti a train was just pulling in going to the top, I waved him to stop but later came to know he understood it to mean we didnt want the train. Family didnt want to go any further down so just waited in this station for one whole hour. This time got the train down, took the boat from Vitznau, it was same route as previous day so nothing special. Had dinner at a vegan place in Lucerne station – it wasn’t good at all. Crashed into hotel.

Day 4-

Checked out next morning. Plan was to go from Lucerne to Wengen via Brienzer-Rothorn. Purchase BO pass for 4 days at Lucerne. Went to Brienz first and took bus to Sorenberg, took cable car up. It was cloudy so didn’t do anything at the peak and just headed to Brienzer-Rothorn station. I hadn’t researched this aspect thoroughly so was surprised to know the train station is a good 10 min walk from cable car. Also, the path is rocky so had a tough time with 2 large suitcases. Just something to watch out for.

After 5 mins there is a restaurant with long pavement which we can take so it is not that bad. Reached station and a train had just pulled in, took pictures and enjoyed the ride down. Though it started cloudy, skies opened up beautifully and this ride was one of highlights of the trip. Reached Brienz by 1pm. Checked with family if they would like to try Ballenberg museum since we had so much time on hand, they agreed and we took bus to musuem. I showed them BO pass and half fare hoping for a discount but they gave me free entry. I don’t think entry was free with BO but who am I to complain. They were able to hold my luggage. Enjoyed 2-3 ‘cantons’ in Ballenberg and came back by closing time. Took bus to Brienz, train to Interlaken. Left luggage in Interlaken and went to explore the town and park. Had dinner and headed back to Interlaken onto Wengen and checked into hotel.

Day 5-

Next day took cable car to Mannlichen then to Grindewald-Grund to Grindelwald-First in cable car. Spent quite a bit of time in Mannlichen playground first though. Enjoyed the cliff walk and scenery. Had lunch in the restaurant there. While coming down, my 8 year old and myself did the mountain cart. I was driving on the outside protecting him from cliff but at one place where I relaxed, he did run over the cliff so it was a pain bringing him and the cart up. Sounds scarier than what actually happened. Made our way back to Wengen via Grindelwald Lauterbrunnen train. Evening it was raining so took train to Interlaken and had dinner at another Indian restaurant which was terrible. Went back to Wengen for night.

Day 6-

Went to Jungfraujoch. Bought tickets in the Jungfraujoch station, was lucky to be 2nd in line. The agent strongly suggested I purchase reservation for up and down which I did. By the time I was done, the line quickly built up so I was glad I had ran to ticket office as soon as train had stopped. This also meant I could take the next train departing even though had reservation for later. Actually I didnt use it even coming down so was wondering if I really needed reservation but oh well. Enjoyed Jungfraujoch, it was a crisp and sunny day. Came down to KS and had lunch in the restaurant there. Sent family to Wengen while I did the hike from KS to Wengernalp, this was very beautiful and easy. That afternoon since it was included in BO pass did the Schynige Platte. We went in the last train up and down so only had 10-15 mins on top but that was good enough. Compared to Brienzer Rothorn this train was so so, I wouldnt pay money to do this. From Wilderswil went to Interlaken for souvenir shopping and dinner. Went back to Wengen.

Day 7-

We were supposed to go to Schilthorn this day but we were tired and didn’t feel the need to spend extra on tickets. So took it easy. Went to Lauterbrunnen and then bus to Stechelberg. I was trying to keep an eye on Staubbach Falls but didn’t see it on the way, either I missed it or it’s not on the bus route. Did see bus stop for Trummelbach but my 3 year old is not allowed so didnt bother. From Stechelberg went to Murren and then Allmendhubel playground.

The cable car was crowded, maybe from all Swiss Pass holders who have Schilthorn included for free. I am glad we got down at Murren. After the Allmendhubel playground came down to Murren and had lunch in restaurant next to cable station. Pasta was good. Tried cheese fondue, not a fan. Walked across Murren to reach train station. Sent family to Wengen while I did the trek from Murren to Grutschalp. Compared to Rigi and KS-Wengernalp this was underwhelming. Took train, cable car back to Lauterbrunnen and then back to Wengen. This was our last night so decided to just explore Wengen rest of the evening. Had dinner and called it a night.

Day 8- Checked out and headed to Basel onto Paris.

Some takeaways:

By far the best thing I did on the trip was to book hotels right across from train stations at all my bases. Too many times we took the train last minute and it wouldn’t have been possible if hotels were any farther. Helped with luggage as well.

If you have packed schedule, consider eating on the train to save time. Atleast breakfast and lunch. The trains are super clean and most all come with trays. I pre-paid for breakfast in all hotels but realized somedays I wished I just picked up bakery items from from Coop to speed up things, would have saved some money as well. Eating in the restaurant takes up almost 45min – 1hour.

Dont be a slave to a rail pass. The only reason I did Schnigge Platte was cause it was included in the pass. I could have spent that time elsewhere but didnt want to lose out on the free stuff.

boshyd
    Participant
    58 posts
    30 August 2018 at 14:38:05 #895152

Sorry one more thing, be flexible to stay in 2-3 towns even on a short trip. Check in/out is a pain but atleast the next morning you are closer to wherever you want to go and are not wasting time just trying to get somewhere. For example Lucerne to Jungfrau – if you have to do it more than one day, makes sense to book hotel in Jungfrau.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2018 at 6:07:37 #895153

Thanks Boshyd,

Sounds like a good trip except some bad luck with Indian restaurants!

Glad to hear the mountain card didn’t go “over a cliff” per se as well.

patripe
    Participant
    8 posts
    31 August 2018 at 9:38:28 #895154

Hi all,

Just back from Switzerland & Scotland and have to agree with Boshyd on the

1. Smoking, I (ex.smoker) was amazed at how widespread it was and all the places you could smoke.

2. The “relaxed” dining. Very relaxed!

3. Lemonade wasn’t an issue, but the beer is expensive and the first one we had in Geneva was very weak. so we learned to ask for strong beer.

Will write a separate report on our holiday which, I must say, was wonderful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2018 at 13:46:52 #895155

Thanks patripe,

Looking forward to your trip report!

• The thread ‘Recent Switzerland holiday – thoughts/comments’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.