First class seat reservations on Glacier Express

• Lmyuen88
    Participant
    42 posts
    5 February 2020 at 4:39:46 #825111

I tried to make reservations for first class on Glacier Express and was also allowed to pick our seats. I inserted personal information etc., then added to cart to pay now but when I clicked the “pay now” button, the screen went back to beginning of making reservation. My reservation is for 10:20 on May7, 2020 (low season), from St Moritz to Zermatt. Am I doing something wrong?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2020 at 5:50:55 #929524

Hi Lmyuen88,

I tried to redo it and the error notification I’ve received is: “For your travel date you can currently only book the reservation. The tickets can unfortunately only be bought 2 months in advance.”

You can try to book your seats for the Glacier Express at http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/tickets.

Ildiko

Also see:

St Moritz: http://www.myswissalps.com/stmoritz
    Zermatt: http://www.myswissalps.com/zermatt

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 February 2020 at 5:57:55 #929525

Works OK for me using these instructions – http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/seat-reservations-on-the-glacier-express. You may have just hit a website maintenance window or something.

Lmyuen88
    Participant
    42 posts
    5 February 2020 at 7:53:28 #929526

Thanks Iidiko and rockoyster. I did go through thru again and I made it this time.

rockoyster, you replied to one of my older question regarding traveling from Geneva to Zurich. You suggested shorter route that wouldn’t take the 5+ hours and I believe it was three or four stops on the Golden Pass, and get off in Lucerne to catch regular train to Zurich airport. Can you please list The towns we should get off.

Do we have to reserve 1st class seats on Golden Pass train?

also, does anyone know of a grocery store that I can go to, close to St Moritz train station before boarding train

Thanking you and will probably have more questions after I get some sleep. 🥱🥱

st theses st. again

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 February 2020 at 10:22:57 #929527

You mean this thread http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/grindelwald-lucerne-st-moritz-zermatt-chamonix?

Reservations are not mandatory on the Golden Pass and probably not necessary in early May.

You can make reservations for the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass) including seat selection at bit.ly/2kaq6Rf. Click the “e” for English language top right of the page. (where it says “Sprachwahl: d i f e”). Then change the class of travel, date of travel and start/end points to suit. Reservations are not compulsory but are recommended on the Zweisimmen to Montreux leg (which is where the Panoramic and Belle Époque trains operate) during peak tourist season.

There is usually a COOP or Migros store in or close to just about every train station in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2020 at 11:04:14 #929528

Hi Lmyuen88,

you can reserve your seat at http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/tickets. Seat reservations are not compulsory on the Golden Pass but we recommend it on the Zweisimmen to Montreux leg during peak season. But early May is not a peak season, so I think you’ll be fine without reservations.

There is a Migrolino shop (similar to Migros just smaller) at the train station in St Moritz. And you’ll find there also a coffee place, called Caffè Spettacolo, I love their coffee.

Ildiko

Lmyuen88
    Participant
    42 posts
    6 February 2020 at 4:04:19 #929529

Thank you Rockoyster and Ildiko, you guys are amazing.

Thanks for finding that previous post, I lookied and thought I saved it but couldn’t find it.

Hope the following makes sense.

We will be staying in Annecy May 11 to 13, when we head to hotel close to Zurich airport for early flight on the 14th to Amsterdam then home to Seattle. Was looking for ways that we could go to Montreux early morning and go to Cailler chocolate factory by 9 am. I see there’s a chocolate train that goes there, then cheese factory in the afternoon, which would be too long a day for us. Was hoping to get to chocolate factory as early as possible then head back to train station headed to Zweisimmen, in 2 1/2 hours or less?

Is this the easiest route to Zurich airport? Geneva to Montreux to Zweisimmen to Spiez to Olten, to Zurich main, then it says IR 3261 towards Chur, which I don’t understand, which will take us to Zurich airport. I did not check but I’m assuming that in Montreux we have to find the Golden pass line and when we get to Zweisimmen, we get off Golden pass line to regular line to Spiez. I feel like I’m going in circles, so many questions on my part. You and your colleagues have been absolutely wonderful but I think this is last time fir trip planning. I’m sticking to tours and letting someone else do the planning.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 February 2020 at 5:21:01 #929530

Forget the cheese and chocolate factories. If you left Annecy on the first train (6:44am you would not reach Broc-Fabrique (Cailler Factory) until 11:28! The same 6:44 gets you to Montreux by 9:30-ish.

The “Chocolate Train” actually turns into a bus (at Montbovon) for much of what is a full day excursion from Montreux.

You are just trying to jam too much in. Take the Golden Pass route (or parts thereof) by all means. So you can leave the Golden Pass route at Spiez as you described above or continue on it to Interlaken and Luzern. The IR 3261 has an end destination of Chur but will drop you off at Zurich on the way.

If you are desperate for chocolate there are approximately 1 million chocolate shops in Zürich. 😉

Lmyuen88
    Participant
    42 posts
    6 February 2020 at 6:14:32 #929531

Guess that means I have to go back to Switzerland to go to the chocolate factory. To tell you the truth, I really don’t care for chocolate but because of visiting Switzerland, it could almost look like mismanagement of time spent there because I didn’t go to chocolate factory. 😔. However, you did mention a chocolate shop at the airport.😋🤞

does the following sound right to you?

annecy to Geneva to Montreux to zweisimmen. If my memory is still intact and not mushy, I believe you recommended Montreux to zweisimmen leg on golden pass, then hop on and off different routes to get to Zurich airport, to save some time.

As usual, I thank you very much for your feedback, comments, recommendations and just great comments. I’m sure we will be emailing in the near future. It won’t be done until we leave Seattle April 28.

Your team is awesome and so very generous to share your time and experiences with others. There should be more people like you guys

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2020 at 6:23:14 #929532

Thank you for your appreciation on our site, I am very happy that you’ve found MySwissAlps useful.

You can find chocolate shops at every Swiss airport, no worries. 🙂

I am not sure what Rockoyster recommended you previously, but yes, from Montreux to Zweisimmen it is the Golden Pass, you can read about the route at http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/gettingthere. After Zweisimmen you can choose if you go via Bern or Spiez. I recommend Spiez, not via Bern. Then it takes 4,5 hours from Montreux to Zürich.

I wish you a lovely holiday.

Ildiko

Also see: http://www.myswissalps.com/airports/zurich and http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/tickets for seat reservation on the Golden Pass (if you wish).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 February 2020 at 6:24:11 #929533

“. . . annecy to Geneva to Montreux to zweisimmen“

That will get you on the actual MOB Golden Pass and then you have a choice to make at Spiez. Turn left for the faster route.

You can make reservations for the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass) including seat selection at bit.ly/2kaq6Rf. Click the “e” for English language top right of the page. (where it says “Sprachwahl: d i f e”). Then change the class of travel, date of travel and start/end points to suit. Reservations are not compulsory but are recommended on the Zweisimmen to Montreux leg (which is where the Panoramic and Belle Époque trains operate) during peak tourist season.

For what it’s worth you aren’t missing much not visiting the Cailler factory. My wife talked me into it. My observations are included in this trip report.

Lmyuen88
    Participant
    42 posts
    6 February 2020 at 13:40:50 #929534

Morning Rockoyster. Those pictures are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing. Are you a photographer in your other life? Seem like I have to go back to see more of Switzerland.

One question, (not the last), when I get to Spiez, you said “turn left for the faster route”. Huh? Didn’t quite understand, where do I turn left? Get train from Spiez to Zurich airport? 🤔

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 February 2020 at 19:07:59 #929535

Hi LM,

No, I’m not a pro-photographer, just a keen amateur.

My “turn-left” analogy doesn’t really work does it. I was visualising the rail-line map which shows the line from Zweisimmen joining the line between Interlaken an Bern. So depending on what time you get to Zweisimmen you will either go straight though to Bern and change for Zurich or change at Spiez to an IC8 direct to Zurich.

Going via Interlaken and Luzern instead, adds another 2 hours travel time.

Lmyuen88
    Participant
    42 posts
    10 February 2020 at 6:18:41 #929536

Hi Rockoyster, thanks for letting me know of the shorter route to Zurich via Zweisimmen.

( Working on train schedules.) From airport to Grindelwald, noticed that “R” (reservations) for leg to Bern and “R” Bern to Interlaken OST. Are reservations necessary for these trips even if we have first class tickets? How soon are we able to purchase? We won’t arrive until April 29, 2020. If I do make reservations, and our arrival is delayed and we miss train, do we forfeit reservation charge?

We are thinking of taking day trip from St Moritz to Tirano. Does Swiss travel pass cover round trip? Are there restaurants and shopping near train station in Tirano?

Thank you fo

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 February 2020 at 6:50:01 #929537

“R” just means that reservations are possible. “R” in a box outline means they are compulsory. It is extremely rare for people to reserve seats on regular Swiss trains. If you reserved seats on those trains you would be most likely be the only ones. If you make reservations they are for a specific train so if you miss it your reservation is wasted. Don’t bother.

“We are thinking of taking day trip from St Moritz to Tirano. Does Swiss travel pass cover round trip?”

Yes of course. See map at http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity.

“Are there restaurants and shopping near train station in Tirano?”

Yes. Make sure you have Euros. You’ll be in Italy.

Lmyuen88
    Participant
    42 posts
    12 February 2020 at 2:35:05 #929538

Thank you for all your help. You all have made planning this trip a lot easier than expected.

It was bought to my attention that going up higher than 8,000 feet can potentially pose a problem, and suggested I take that into consideration. A friend told me of oxygen in canisters that she was able to purchase while visiting a high altitude city. I know we cannot carry on canisters so do you know if these canisters are readily available in Switzerland? If so, in pharmacies?

Thank you 😊

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 February 2020 at 2:43:38 #929539

I don’t think you will find anyone wandering around with oxygen canisters in the alps.

“Anyone can suffer from (light) altitude sickness from about 2000 m. Usually it helps to take things slow and sit down for a while. Special precautions apply to children under 2 years old, as well as people who are pregnant or in poor health: before visiting areas over 2500 m, you’d best consult your doctor. In most cases though, staying at such altitudes for just a few hours is no problem.” Source: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch

Jungfraujoch will most likely the highest you’ll get and that’s 3454m (11,332 feet).

Lmyuen88
    Participant
    42 posts
    12 February 2020 at 6:13:35 #929540

Thank you for your reply. 😂😂!

The visual of people running around with oxygen canisters is quite hilarious.

seriously, I did send note to my doctor.

If you had a choice which would you do, Gornergrat or Matterhorn Glacier Paradise? Why?

Thanks again.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 February 2020 at 6:33:50 #929541

Gornergrat. It’s the closest you are going to get to the iconic Matterhorn.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2020 at 12:52:00 #929542

Hi Lmyuen88,

I liked Gornergrat more than Kleine Matterhorn when we visited Zermatt and we had a nice walk down to Riffelsee. Part of the route is explained here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/rotenboden-riffelalp/route

Also see:

Ildiko

Lmyuen88
    Participant
    42 posts
    12 February 2020 at 13:37:21 #929543

Thank you both. You two are Great! I’ve been to Gornergrat but not to MGP. Friend hasn’t been to neither. He vowed never to go to Europe but after seeing pictures of my trip two years ago, he decided that Switzerland was the only place he would like to visit. So trying to plan trip he would enjoy. He loves trains, skiing, (in his younger years), snow and all Switzerland has to offer. That is reason for asking. Want to know most spectacular/impressive. I love Switzerland so all of this is icing on cake for me. 😊

• The thread ‘First class seat reservations on Glacier Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.