First Flyer Grindelwald – where to put your bags?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 17:36:34 #812528

Hi everyone,

Just a simple question about the First Flyer …

Where do people put their bags when they go on the flyer ? I see people are bags free on you-tube.

Are there lockers available ? If such, do we need to go back to the starting point by cable car to get our bags afterwards ?

I intend to do some hiking before or after this, or should I do hiking on a different day, if there is no locker available ?

Thanks for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 8:27:32 #866287

It is not posible to take your bags with you in the First Flyer. You let them on the starting point and must hold them back with the cable car. (Firstbahn)

Do not forget to do the First Cliff Walk (free of charge). I nice walk is to the Bachalpsee and back to the Firstbahn.

Greetings From the Netherlands, Brahms

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 July 2017 at 13:35:41 #866288

There’s a left luggage office at the Grindelwald train station (open until 6 PM).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 18:20:06 #866289

Hi Brahms and Arno,

Thanks a lot for the information provided.

Am I correct to say that starting point of the First Flyer is at First (Grindalwald), while the end point is at Firstbahn ?

Is the cable car ride between the two free of charge for Swiss Travel Pass holders ?

Thanks again 🙂

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 July 2017 at 18:45:45 #866290

Hi Tazbb,

The starting point of the First Flyer zipline is indeed First. The end point is Schreckfeld, one of the stops of the gondola from Grindelwald Firstbahn (valley station) to First (top station). Tickets are 50% discounted, not free.

There are carts and trottibikes to continue your way down from Schreckfeld to Grindelwald Firstbahn, but that’s not part of the Flyer, it’s an additional attraction.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 19:22:54 #866291

Hi Arno,

Thanks for the additional information. They are indeed helpful 🙂

Do you know if there is any left luggage office at the First station, in case I plan to continue hiking to Bachalpsee after the Flyer ?

Sorry for asking so much in detail.

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 July 2017 at 19:57:52 #866292

Hi Tazzbb,

As far as I know there is no facility like that, but I am not sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 20:10:37 #866293

Thanks Arno,

Appreciate all the information given 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 19:22:28 #866294

Hi Tazbb,

we just got back from Wengen and did the first flyer/mountaincart/trotti bike…..

you can get the flyer from Schreckfeld….you belt into the zip line and get hauled up to first, then dropped down back down to Schreckfeld. you can stash your bags at the starting point and pick them up again when done…..continue down on the mountain carts… then do the trotti bikes….. very fun. if you are going to do all 3 buy the combined ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 5:39:58 #866295

Baggage Storage Facility is available at Grindelwald. However, I am not sure whether it will be available at the first flyer. If I am not wrong then it must be available since ticket window must be open at the first flyer so as the baggage storage facility. However, it is better to check at the station or SBB. Make enquiry with SBB.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 12:15:27 #866296

Hi kfred and harshilpatel,

Thanks a lot for the advice and information.

kfred, keeping my bags at the starting point. Do you mean there is storage facility at Schrekfeld, but not at First ? However, as I shall be coming from Firstbahn, therefore I have to start at First instead of Schrekfeld as the gondola ride seems to be much shorter from Firstbahn to First. (according to Google Map)

Appreciate if you could help me with the following queries :-

1. as I can’t find Schrekfeld in the sbb app, and from google map, the only option from Schrekfeld to First is by walking (Elger Ultra Trail) or by car. Is this correct ?

2. Is the Elger Ultra Trail considered to be moderate or easy, as I am a novice hiker ?

3. Is there any gondola service from Schrekfeld going back to First after the flyer ? I plan to either do hiking to the lake or going back down to Firstbahn, either way it seems that I have to go back to First first. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As suggested by harshilpatel, have just emailed SBB on this.

Tried and unable to find contact email for the First Flyer. 🙁

Thanks a lot for your help ! Cheers !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 14:02:51 #866297

The “Firstbahn” is the gondola from Grindelwald to First.

You start always at Grindelwald (in the valley), next station Bort, station Schreckfeld and at last First (on the mountain).

The Flyer is between First and Schreckfeld.

Greetings Brahms

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 July 2017 at 14:23:01 #866298

Hi Tazbb,

The Eiger Ultra Trail is a race for extreme runners: http://www.eigerultratrail.ch. Most people including myself should not even consider this 😉 There are plenty of shorter walks in the area, partly on the same trails.

As Brahms explained, Schreckfeld is one of the gondola stops along the Grindelwald to First gondola route. Very easy to reach, and very easy to get back down to Grindelwald from there. You do not need a timetable; the gondola runs all day until late afternoon.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 15:54:27 #866299

Hi Brahrms and Arno,

Thank you so much for your clarification.

Just starting to get confused as this information is not available in the SBB apps, the Swiss Timetable and the Google maps.

Hopefully I can manage to try the Flyer, but have been warned about the long waiting time ! :p

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 July 2017 at 16:01:50 #866300

No worries, it’s very straightforward once there. There are maps on the place here on Google and here on search.ch.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 16:07:10 #866301

Yes you are right, Arno. Things will be much easier when I get there.

Thanks so very much for all the useful tips and advice :))

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 0:51:07 #866302

hey tazbb,

i totally understand the overwhelming confusion….. you’re trying to plan this step by step just like us…. no worries. just go…. get to grindlwald………once you’re there you get the cable car from grindlewald to shrekfeld….its a ride on a cable car with 3 stops….we got off at shrekfeld…one stop short of the top, First…..from there you can buy a ticket ( stash your bag) , get strapped into the Swiss seats(first flyer) and hauled up to first… then they let you go and you fly back down……if you have never zip lined before it will be fun if you have zipped before… in my opinion it no big deal….. the go carts and trotti bikes are way funner….( that’s american slang for much more fun.)

in general, as we were planning our trip i got very hung up on needing to have all of the facts and it got in the way of having fun…….Switzerland is a land of convenience.everything we found the was organized and easy. ( we bought the 8 day Swiss pass) be polite,patient, and ready to ask questions. everyone we met was ready to help and happy to help.

we cant wait to go back.

ken.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 8:40:47 #866303

Hi Ken,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Will try as suggested, but is it a long journey up to First from Shrekfeld on the First flyer, and much slower ? Will I be charged double ? Just a shame I don’t cycle so cannot enjoy the trotti bikes.

I am sure I will feel the same as you do, and in fact start to get in love with this beautiful country even before I go. Just can’t wait !

Cheers and thanks again !!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 11:06:38 #866304

It is not a long journey from Streckfeld to First. With the Firstbahn I think 6 till 8 minutes.

With the First Flyer I think the same. To travel with First Flyer down from First to Streckfeld is only one (1) minutes……..

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TF8eNm9cKdA

Greetings Brahms

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 12:04:37 #866305

Hi Brahms,

Thanks for your information.

As suggested by Ken to take the Flyer from Schrekfeld, “….get strapped onto the Flyer and hauled up to First…”

Since it will be going up slope instead of sliding down from First, I just wonder will it take long time to go up the slope on the Flyer, and is it good experience, versus the thrill obtained in the normal Flyer sliding down the slope from First.

Cheers !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2017 at 19:54:57 #866306

They strap you in at the bottom haul you up and then let you go back down…. much faster.

so you begin and end at the schreckfeld cable car stop.

just to clarify about “bags”…. do you mean backpacks or do you mean suitcases????

i would not take suitcases up the mountain. leave them at the train station in a locker before you leave grindelwald.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • The thread ‘First Flyer Grindelwald – where to put your bags?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.