First (Grindelwald) to Bachsee November 20

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2019 at 20:01:45 #824184

Hi,

I am interested in going to Bachsee on November 20. As I understand it, there is no gondola available from Grindelwald to First at this time. Is it possible to hike from Grindelwald to First and then to Bachsee or are the hiking trails closed as well?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    13 October 2019 at 20:56:50 #923616

Hi jwu92 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Congratulations for wanting to visit Switzerland in November. It is probably the month with the least amount of other tourists. The backside is that many cablecars and gondolas are indeed closed for maintenance.

Trails are never “closed” as such, unless something dangerous is being feared or has happened (landslide, forestry works and the like). Hikers use trails at their own risk, and nobody monitors the hiking trails (unlike many, but not all, skiing trails where there is a ski patrol). Nobody will prevent you from using any trail. On November 20 there is a chance of a thin layer of snow around First and Bachsee. If you are well trained, have good boots, warm clothes, and other equipment such as a thermos bottle, nobody will prevent you from doing the planned hike. Going up and down from Grindelwald will require the entire daylight time of the day. If you are not well trained or if the weather is bad, do something else. And don’t go alone.

Have a great time!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 October 2019 at 1:29:47 #923617

Hi juw92 –

Snowman has politely and clearly explained the situation.

I’ll add that the climb from Grindelwald, at approximately 1000 meters altitude, to Bachalpsee at 2266 meters, is strenuous. We have posters in the Forum who can do that; I certainly can not. It does require good physical fitness and being in condition for hiking at high altitude.

If you feel that you have those admirable characteristics, go for it!

This topo map will help you with the details:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=6&E=26 47407.03&N=1167202.90

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘First (Grindelwald) to Bachsee November 20’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.