First or second class rail pass for Switzerland?

First or second class rail pass for Switzerland?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
rwcarroll
rwcarroll
4 posts
Jan 13, 2018 - 10:07 PM

I am planning a short vacation in Switzerland in April 2018 starting with 2 days in Geneva than take a train to Zermat where I will spend 2 nights than take the Glacier Express (FIRST CLASS) to St. Moritz where I will spend 2 nights than take a train to train to Lucerne where I will spend 2 nights than take a train to Zurich. I have been looking at several options.

OPTION 1: Purchase a first class 4 day flex Swiss Pass (429}

ODTION 2: Purchase a second class 4 day flex Swiss Pass (270} and a upgrade to first class for the Glacier Express section of the trip.

any suggestions on best way

rockoyster
rockoyster
3926 posts
expert
Jan 14, 2018 - 2:14 AM in reply to rwcarroll

Hello rwcarroll and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Option 2 is better. You don't need to pay for 1st class on the other trains.

That's assuming that the pass you have picked is best for your overall trip. Have you done the sums to arrive at that conclusion? You should read about how to chose the best travel pass (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

Have you considered Montreux as a base instead of Geneva?

Lucas
Lucas
8915 posts
expert &
Jan 14, 2018 - 8:24 AM in reply to rwcarroll

Hi rwcarroll,

You can read about the differences between 1st and 2nd class on the trains here. You'll notice more of a difference on the Glacier Express in 1st class (over regular trains) so if you want to save money then go for option 2. If you want to splurge and have quieter train carriages with fewer people (on all trains) than for for option 1.

Last modified on Jan 14, 2018 - 8:25 AM by Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018