First or second class rail pass for Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 22:07:02 #814030

I am planning a short vacation in Switzerland in April 2018 starting with 2 days in Geneva than take a train to Zermat where I will spend 2 nights than take the Glacier Express (FIRST CLASS) to St. Moritz where I will spend 2 nights than take a train to train to Lucerne where I will spend 2 nights than take a train to Zurich. I have been looking at several options.

OPTION 1: Purchase a first class 4 day flex Swiss Pass (429}

ODTION 2: Purchase a second class 4 day flex Swiss Pass (270} and a upgrade to first class for the Glacier Express section of the trip.

any suggestions on best way

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 January 2018 at 2:14:39 #874240

Hello rwcarroll and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Option 2 is better. You don’t need to pay for 1st class on the other trains.

That’s assuming that the pass you have picked is best for your overall trip. Have you done the sums to arrive at that conclusion? You should read about how to chose the best travel pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

Have you considered Montreux as a base instead of Geneva?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2018 at 8:24:19 #874241

Hi rwcarroll,

You can read about the differences between 1st and 2nd class on the trains here. You’ll notice more of a difference on the Glacier Express in 1st class (over regular trains) so if you want to save money then go for option 2. If you want to splurge and have quieter train carriages with fewer people (on all trains) than for for option 1.

• The thread ‘First or second class rail pass for Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.