First time in June for 3 days, please help!

First time in June for 3 days, please help!

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Jade01
Jade01
4 posts
Mar 30, 2017 - 11:38 AM

Hello,

I was recommended this site by a friend and it seems to be very knowledgeable and helpful so I would love your assistance in planning my itinerary! My husband and I will be travelling to Switzerland for the first time in June, we are only there for 3 days so I just want to make the most of our time there. We will be landing at Zurich Airport at 4pm on Monday and will be leaving from there at 9.45pm on the Thursday.

We are planning to hire a car from the airport and just drive everywhere for the duration of our trip, is this a good idea? Because I have seen a lot of people talking about trains and buses and different passes etc?

Based on recommendations and the research I have done I have narrowed down the places I want to visit to: Lucerne, Lungern, Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken. Are these all good options and is this all do-able in 3 days?

What things would you recommend we do and see in each of those locations? (i.e. hiking)

And if we are landing in Zurich and travelling to those locations over 3 days, which of those places would you recommend we stay at/where should we base ourselves?

I would really appreciate anyone's help in planning our itinerary and figuring out what are the best things to do and see in that 3 day period. Thank you in advance.

Jade

Annika
Annika
4880 posts
expert &
Mar 30, 2017 - 4:56 PM in reply to Jade01

Hi Jade, thank you for joining us!

To be honest I don't recommend car traveling for your plans. The public transportation system is excellent and allows easier access to the places you're interested in. Please refer to myswissalps.com/carver sustrain for more information. If you decide to travel by train, the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass will suit your itinerary: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass. It will cover your transfers between towns, as well as boat trips, museums and bus rides. Mountain rides are either discounted or fully covered (e.g. Rigi, Pilatus, Schynige Platte). A full validity overview can be found here.

As for you schedule: if I were you I'd plan one or two nights in Lucerne, plus one or two nights in Interlaken or a nearby smaller town such as Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Mürren or Grindelwald. You'll find further details at our Jungfrau region page: myswissalps.com/jungfr auregion. The pages below provide tips on what to see and do over there:

The train ride between Lucerne and Interlaken over the Golden Pass route is very scenic and you'll pass Lungern on your way, so it's easy to get out there and enjoy the views for a while if you like.

I hope this gets you started!

Jade01
Jade01
4 posts
Apr 13, 2017 - 11:13 AM

Hi Annika,

Thank you so much for your reply and for your helpful advice! We ended up booking 1 night in Lucerne and 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen. I looked into the swiss travel pass and have decided to go with that instead of hiring a car also so thank you for that advice.

Can you recommend what would be the best option to get from Zurich airport to Lucerne on our first day?

And do you have any personal recommendations of things to do and see in Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen?

That scenic train ride sounds beautiful! Thanks again :-)

Kind regards,

Jade

Annika
Annika
4880 posts
expert &
Apr 13, 2017 - 4:02 PM

Hi Jade,

There are direct trains from Zurich Airport to Lucerne, as well as connections with one change of trains in Zurich. You'll find all details in the timetable.

Our personal recommenations for Lucerne and the Lauterbrunnen region can be found below:

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017