6 days Swiss mountains, towns, Christmas market

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2019 at 4:24:34 #824314

Hey Everyone,

Me and my partner are planning to visit the beautiful country of Switzerland in December. We have a rough idea of the cities we want to visit and as per the below dates:

19 December – interlaken

20 December – Interlaken

21 December – Lucerne

22 December – Lucerne

23 December – Zurich

24 December – Zurich

Our dates are pretty much set in stone and there’s not much we can do about it. However, I am looking for recommendations on what is the best way to experience these cities/neighborhoods, get the best out of our trip and of course; be budget friendly.

The places where we definitely want to go are Harder Kulm, Jungfraujoch, Lake Thun, Old Town , Mt. Titlis, Christmas Market and Night life in Zurich.

Having said that, I have done some research and below are my questions:

1. Cheapest / Efficient way to get from Zurich Airport to Interlaken? I arrive at 10:00Am in the morning. Is it safe to drive a rented car during this time or should I opt for a train/Bus?

2. If train is the most recommended option to travel around Switzerland, should I opt for the Swiss Travel Pass or the Swiss Half Fare card? Do consider the fact that I will be traveling between Interlaken, Lucerne, Zurich and all mountain tops by train.

3. As per the official website, the railway to Harder Kulm is closed on the 19th of December. Is there an alternative way to get to the viewing deck? If not, what other scenic place can I visit in Interlaken that has high views of the city?

4. Day trip to Jungfraujoch on the 20th of December. Is it cheaper to pre book the full day tour package or should I buy them on the spot? Also, having a travel pass offers certain discounts – is that beneficial in any way?

5. If I extend a day in interlaken, should I visit Mürren Lauterbrunnen or Bern? Which of the them have a lot to offer?

6. Travel from interlaken to Lucerne – Same as question number 1. Which is the most economical/Safe mode of transport?

7. Half day in Lucerne on the 21st of December – What are the best sights to cover in the city? Are there any unique romantic experiences?

8. Day trip to Mt. Titlis on 22nd Of December – What can I expect to experience on the trip? Again, same as question number 4, should I pre book or wait until I arrive in Lucerne for a last minute deal?

9. Travel from Lucerne to Zurich on 23rd of December – Which is the most economical/Safe mode of transport?

10. Zurich on Christmas Eve, 24th of December – I have read heaps of good reviews about the Christmas markets in Zurich. Where exactly are these located in the city and what can I expect?

11. Also, what other tourist activities are recommended to do in Zurich? Walking tours? Swiss chocolate factory visits? Ice skating?

12. Best place to experience the night life and happening bars in Zurich? Any recommendations?

I would really appreciate if you can guide me on the above and really looking forward to your suggestions and advise. Also, if you feel there are some must visit places/restaurants/sites in any of the cities above, please do let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Ismail

• The thread ‘6 days Swiss mountains, towns, Christmas market’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.