First time in Switzerland, 6 days in December

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2017 at 17:46:04 #813636

Hello there,

We will be visiting this December for 6 days. I am wondering if you can help me regarding this. We really want to see Zermatt but torn about other places to visit. What is your recommendation? We will be traveling from London then Switzerland then Vienna.

I appreciate it. Thank you.

Sent from Jen’

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 November 2017 at 21:40:30 #871711

Hi Jen and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

What sort of things are you interested in seeing/doing? Scenery? Cities?

Do you already have travel arrangements in place for arrival in and departure from Switzerland?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2017 at 21:43:51 #871712

Hello there!

We would love to really see the Matterhorn and see the lakes, beautiful mountains, city is good too. We just want to really explore.

We do not have any set arrival airport yet. We were originally thinking of Geneva then Zermatt but I think we can still squeeze in more for being there for 7 days, right?

Thank you again!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 November 2017 at 22:05:52 #871713

Hi Jen,

Here’s a suggestion.

Fly into Zurich early enough to get to Chur by around 11:00. Then take Glacier Express to Zermatt (only runs after 9 December).

Then move to Jungfrau Region and then on to Lucerne. Fly out of Zurich to Vienna.

See http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Use the SBB timetable to plan http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Enjoy!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2017 at 22:29:11 #871714

This is very helpful! Thank you so much!

Is it worth seeing Geneva? How far are they from one another from what you recommended above? Also, how many days should we stay in Zermatt? Are public transportations pretty easy going around places that you recommended above?

Appreciate all the help!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 November 2017 at 22:51:54 #871715

I’ve never been to Geneva. It’s on my bucket list for my next visit. Is it worth seeing? For a visit of the duration you are planning you need to be fairly focussed. You simply can’t see everything. Last visit I was there for 3 weeks and still didn’t make it to the French side.

The public transport is Switzerland is fantastic and will get you everywhere in the country by train, bus, boat, cable car etc.

Definately look at a this http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2017 at 5:57:49 #871716

Hi Jen,

Yes there is a multitude of options for you but you’ll find no matter what that taking trains to get around is quite easy. Be sure to use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all your trips between towns and mountains. It will by default show you the fastest routes available.

The Swiss Travel Pass will allow you to travel on most trains around Switzerland at no extra charge, except special panoramic trains like the Glacier Express (where you must pay for a reservation).
    You could also do this route at the end (after Zermatt) on your way to Vienna, if you are taking the train to Vienna that is.

Zermatt is a lovely town worth at least two nights – after that I would focus on the Jungfrau region as others have suggested!

Towns like Zurich and Geneva aren’t particularly impressive (in my opinion) unless you are interested in museums or just a bigger city atmosphere (though not that big). I’d save them for another trip or just one night after arriving or departure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2017 at 19:26:47 #871717

Thank you so much. I have this rough itinerary. Please advise:

Geneva: Arrive early 12/17

Geneva-Lausanne: Leave early 12/18 (52mins)

Lausanne-Zermatt: Leave early 12/19 (3hrs)

Zermatt-Interlaken: Leave early 12/20 (2hr20)

Interlaken-Zürich: Leave early 12/21 (2hr30)

What would you suggest we change since we are only there 12/17-22?

thank you!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2017 at 20:14:47 #871718

You note earlier that your primary focus is on scenery so I would go straight from Geneva to Zermatt on 12/17 (or just spend 1 day max there if you want a city trip) and spend two or three days in Zermatt.

Then move to Interlaken or a nearby town like Grindelwald, Wengen or Lauterbrunnen (prettier towns with prettier scenery) for the remaining days before flying out of Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2017 at 20:34:01 #871719

That sounds good! We will definitely change that itinerary then!

How are the public transportation in Interlaken? How easy is it to see those places around that you mentioned?

Inreally appreciate Ate the help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2017 at 7:36:53 #871720

Interlaken has very good train connections to nearby towns in the Jungfrau region and all over Switzerland.
    You can use the timetable to see the options for you on your travel dates.

Have a look at various rail passes you can use here. The Swiss Travel Pass probably fits your needs best.

• The thread ‘First time in Switzerland, 6 days in December’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.