First time Switzerland-16nights itinerary feedback

• Prague_paul
    Participant
    1 post
    30 June 2019 at 4:12:01 #822557

Hi All,

Hope all is well.

It will be a long post so please bear with me.

I have planned a 16 Night trip to Switzerland this year with my wife as per the below dates and did some research to come up with a sample itinerary below.

Date of Entry to Switzerland – 27th Sep’19 (Around early morning)

Date of Exit from Switzerland – 13th Oct’19 (Around late afternoon)

Itinerary: Zurich-Bern(3N Stay)-Zermatt(4N Stay)-Wengen(6N Stay)-Lucerne(3N Stay)-Zurich

This means after arriving in Zurich Airport, wife and I will be straight away heading to Bern, similarly while coming back we will be heading to Zurich airport from Lucerne.

I know it might sound foolish to not stay in Zurich, however, we are not interested in Museums much and I am particularly interested in photographing the alpine landscapes and hiking hence the unusual long stays in both Zermatt and Wengen. We both are more or less fit for beginner to moderate hiking and would love to explore some areas on foot.

Appreciate if anyone could help with few of my concerns below:

– Is this **itinerary crazy** by any standards?

– I have looked at historic weather data and found the visit duration quite tourist friendly along those regions, since weather is ever changing, **anybody has any tips or insights** which we should be mindful?

– We will be heavily relying on the public transport, and aware of the fact that Switzerland has unmatched train service, however I am little confused when it comes to travel pass/discount cards. So there are Half fare card, Swiss Travel pass, Jungfrau region travel pass, **any idea which could be the best suited in your opinion** seeing the fact that we will be extensively travelling using cable cars/trains/Funiculars in and around multiple villages and top of mountains/glaciers.

– In my research I have found few hiking trails specially the 5 Lake trail from Zermatt. **Any beginner to moderate level Hiking in your opinion that is a must around Zermatt and Jungfrau region**? Kindly suggest please.

I hope, I sounded sane through out this lengthy post and we thank you for your time and any suggestion you might have.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Prague

• The thread ‘First time Switzerland-16nights itinerary feedback’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.