Oct 5, 2017 - 4:39 AM
in reply to krazykubanz
>> Your post has so inspired me, that I am going to start doing exactly what you said. I am not that good on the internet, but it is never too late to learn
Don't overlook the wealth of information to be found on this very website! You will find the level of practical detail here far superior to anything else on the internet - and it is all in one place, so no need to go trawling through the internet!
Try all the tabs above: Getting started, Where to Go, What to Do, Where to Sleep, How to Travel.
You will find the Swiss Timetable invaluable for finding out how to get from one place to another, and how long it will take:
This map of scenic routes in Switzerland might help with your planning:
www.sbb.ch/content/dam /sbb/en/pdf/en_bahnhof -services/en_am-bahnhof/en_unsere-bahnhoefe/panoramic-routes.pdf
The Wilhelm Tell Express is now called the Gotthard Panorama Express.
Travel times for the scenic routes (one way) are as follows:
- Golden Pass Line (part) from Luzern to Interlaken Ost: 1 hour 50
- Golden Pass line (part) from Interlaken Ost to Montreux: 3 hours 05
- Gotthard Panorama Express (boat and train) from Luzern to Lugano: 5 hours 26
- Palm Express (PostBus) from Lugano to St Moritz: 3 hours 48
- Voralpen-Express from Luzern to St. Gallen: 2 hours 16
- RegioExpress Lötschberger (full) from Bern to Brig: 1 hour 41
- RegioExpress Lötschberger (part) from Spiez to Brig: 1 hour 08
- Centovalli Railway from Locarno to Domodossola: 1 hour 46
If you want to calculate travel time for short sectors along these routes, you can use the Swiss Timetable.
It would be a good idea to tell us as soon as possible what your travel dates will be, as options for sightseeing in the alps are limited at some times of the year (e.g. November and May in particular) It would be good to be aware of that before you do too much work on an itinerary!