First time to Switzerland in July – where to go?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2017 at 21:04:16 #810804

Hello

I am travelling to Switzerland the first week of July and have no idea where to go? I have been told to visit Lucerne? Should we base ourselves in Zurich? We only have 3-4 days there

Is there anywhere we can go for snow, alps etc in July?

We just want places that have beautiful scenery and should we hire a car or go by train?

Any advice would be so appreciated

Thank you

Leisa

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 February 2017 at 22:25:26 #858985

Hi Leisa-

There is a whole lot of stuff here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ge ttingstarted

Work down through the links.

Also –

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich

Luzern is a better base for a first time traveler, unless you have very specific known interests in Zürich. and Luzern is closer to some Alps than Zürich; the two cities are close to each other by train.

Interlaken or Wengen will have snow visible, but you’ll have to up to high altitude to find it

A map and timetable will help you.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

map.search.ch/?pos=702848,191104&z=2

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2017 at 10:03:15 #858986

Hi Leisa and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Read through the links Slowpoke provided and then when you have narrowed down your thoughts on what to do post any specific questions you have here again. 🙂

If you are looking for mountain scenery I would agree with slowpoke and stay in either Interlaken or Luzern (local German spelling) during your stay. Take a look at the pages he linked and check the ‘what to do’ tab for nearby attractions. At the top of most mountains you will still find snow.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2017 at 23:32:59 #858987

Thanks so much,

Just wondering if you have any ideas on which way to travel by train etc to see the following – zurich, bern, Interlaken, Lucerne, rhine falls, Mt titlis, montreaux and geneva

thank you

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 February 2017 at 23:47:11 #858988

Hi Alexis-

<<“you have any ideas on which way to travel by train etc to see the following – zurich, bern, Interlaken, Lucerne, rhine falls, Mt titlis, montreaux and geneva”>>

My ideas are to take 6 or 7 days.

Look at a map and the train schedule, and you can begin to work it out:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable:

map.search.ch/?retry=1&pos=683392,204 928&z=1

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2017 at 7:28:13 #858989

Hi Leisa,

Are you wondering in which order to visit these towns? Or when trains depart? Use the timetable Slowpoke linked to above to find trains to and from different towns.

If you are looking for a good itinerary to visit those towns let us know where you arrive and depart in Switzerland.

To give you a quick itinerary to visit the towns you mentioned:

1. 1 day/night in Zurich – see the town and visit RheinFall
    2. 3 nights in Luzern (local German spelling) – visit Bern, Mt. Titlis or other attractions in the area.
    3. 2 or 3 nights in Interlaken to see the nearby attractions
    4. 2 nights in Montreux – maybe day trip to Geneva if you want.
    5. From Luzern or Interlaken you can take the Golden Pass Panoramic train to Montreux which is a great trip.

Was there a particular reasons why you picked those towns to visit? What is it you want to see and do while in Switzerland?

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2017 at 8:20:19 #858990

Thanks again slowpoke

And Lucas, yes just looking for the quickest and easiest order to visit them in

At the moment I had zurich-bern-interlaken-lucerne-geneva Thanks 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 February 2017 at 13:36:05 #858991

Hi Leisa-

If you check the map and timetable that I linked, you will see the logic behind Lucas’ suggestions. You will also be able to plan your travel schedule. Note that he put your first base in Luzern, for short rail travel to Bern, for example

You will note that he could not fit it all into 3-4 days, either. 😉

His question at the end is important. That will help offer suggestions on where to concentrate.

If you wish to go into the high Alps near the Jungfrau, you will have a better chance of acceptable viewing weater ( no or few clouds at high altitude) if you can choose from a few days.

Slowpoke

PS- my personal list would not include the Rhine Falls. However, I have see the Niagara Falls, so I am biased.

And, why do you want to go to Zürich?

• The thread ‘First time to Switzerland in July – where to go?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.