First time travelers in Switzerland for 5 nights

• Mide
    Participant
    9 posts
    6 May 2018 at 4:24:07 #815757

Hello there and thank you for this forum. Myself, husband and 15 year old daughter will be arriving in Zurich July 2 10:30 am and go directly to Lucerne, take a boat cruise and sightsee around the area. We plan to do the following itinerary: July 3 and 4 visit Montreux. July 5 and 6 visit Wengen, but we have to go to either Zurich or Geneva at the end of the day of the 6th as we plan on taking a flight around 6 am on the 7th going to Naples, Italy. Or should we visit Wengen first and do Montreux last?We have not booked our flight on the 7th as I am not sure which of the 2 airports will be closer from the above itinerary. Greatly appreciate your feedback.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 May 2018 at 4:38:19 #884336

Hello Mide,

Do you know you can take a train from Zurich to Naples? The fastest train involves 1 change at Milan. Leaves Zurich just after 9 am and arrive Naples just after 5 pm. A long day but at least you get to see a lot of countryside.

Just something to bear in mind. See http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy.

Mide
    Participant
    9 posts
    6 May 2018 at 12:31:13 #884337

Thank you Rockoyster. I know about the train from Zurich to Milan but we have to be in Naples in the morning of July 7. Is our itinerary doable and not too rushed? We will have the STP on this trip and we would like to be on the golden pass line and I believe no need to do reservations. On our last day ( July 6) in Wengen , we would like to go back to either Zurich or Geneva whichever is closer as we have to take an early morning flight the next day. Please advise. Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2018 at 13:10:15 #884338

Hi Mide,
    In that case, I would think it makes the most sense to go: Lucerne, Wengen, Montreux (on Golden Pass route from Interlaken Ost) to Geneva and then fly out.

Zurich or Basel airports can work out fine too – perhaps flight prices will determine which airport you choose to. But if they are similar I think I’d work my way to Geneva.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 22:17:06 #884339

Thanks Lucas and I apologize for my delayed response. I was looking for train schedule from Montreux to Wengen for July 5(Thurs) but it says the trains don’t run that route daily as it was giving me Mon, Wed or Friday. Is this true. If it is what other options do we have? Thanks.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 May 2018 at 22:23:36 #884340

Trains between Montreux and Wengen definitely run daily. If the train shows in the SBB timetable for the day you want then it is running.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 22:38:10 #884341

This is really strange bec. tried it several times but it’s giving me the schedule for Wed or Fri, but not for Thurs.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 May 2018 at 22:47:35 #884342

Are you looking here http://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/p ages/fahrplan/fahrplan .xhtml?

I see trains for 5 July for Montreux to Wengen both via Zweisimmen and not via Zweisimmen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 23:11:46 #884343

Yes but funny me- I was pressing advanced search. And I tried to press connections instead and I found all the different times. Thank you for your correspondence.

Mide
    Participant
    9 posts
    15 May 2018 at 19:29:30 #884344

Hello again. I am trying to book seat reservations for the golden panoramic train to Montreux.I see that on July 3 there is a train Zweisimmen @ 10:25. Questions:

1) From Lucerne train leaves @ 07:06, change @ Interlaken OST @ 09:08 and arrives Zweissimmen @ 10:19. Does that give us enough time to get to the golden pass train?

2) Price showing ic CHF18 for seat reservation? Even if I have STP?

3) Will it be possible to have our luggage’s go directly to Montreux for a fee and where do we go to leave the luggages.

Thank you so much. This forum is so much helpful.

Mide
    Participant
    9 posts
    16 May 2018 at 0:33:04 #884345

Hello forum members. Someone please respond to inquiry above please and thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 2:21:56 #884346

Hi Mide,

Please be patient, we always reply within 24 hours. 🙂

1. Yes, the 6 minute transfer is normal. You just need to walk across a platform.
    2. The Swiss Travel Pass does not give discounts on reservations. So same price for everyone
    3. Yes, you can send the luggage ahead from Lucerne to Montreux. You can read about the details on luggage transfer here.
    Mide
    Participant
    9 posts
    16 May 2018 at 2:51:41 #884347

I am very sorry Lucas. I thank you for the answers to my questions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 4:32:21 #884348

Happy to help! 🙂

Mide
    Participant
    9 posts
    16 May 2018 at 15:43:04 #884349

Hi Lucas. I am finalizing our itinerary for our 5 nights trip to Switzerland. Pls give comments/ feedback.

July 2- arrive arrive Zurich airport 10:40. Take the train to Lucerne. Check in to hotel and go for lunch. Visit city in afternoon- Lion monument, Chapel bridge, walk around city.

July 3- Majestic round trip to Rigi it classic round trip.

July 4- check-put from hotel and take the Golden pass line to Montreux arriving @ 12:13. Check-in to hotel, then lunch. In the afternoon, walk along Lakeside Promenade, visit Chateau de Chillon.

July 5- check out from hotel take train to Wengen @ 10:12. We will ask that our luggages go directly to Wengen, but we get off in Lautetbrunnen @ 12:55. In Lauterbunnen , have lunch then we’d like to walk to Trummelback Falls, and later proceed to Wengen, pick up luggages and check-in hotel.

July 6- from Wengen take train to Kleine Scheidegg, then cogwheel train to Jungfraujoch( weather permitting). If not we will just visit other towns Grindelwald, Grimmelwald.

July 7- check out from hotel and take train to Zurich( about 3.5 hrs.? I believe). We will take flight 6:30 pm to Naples, Italy. And while waiting we can walk around city of Zurich.

Is this itinerary doable? What can you suggest for the day in Montreux- I know it is only 1 day there. And how is the walk to Trummelback Falls or can we take a bus going up there? Looking forward to your input as I’d like to finalize our itinerary. Thanks:)

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 May 2018 at 20:53:24 #884350

From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schilthorn if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 0:21:42 #884351

Hi Mide,

We have activity suggestions for Montreux here, and Zurich here (note the self-walking tour you may like).

As for checking train schedules (Wengen to Zurich and all others) use the Swiss railways timetable here.

Mide
    Participant
    9 posts
    22 May 2018 at 3:36:31 #884352

Thank you again Lucas and Rockoyster:) You guys are great! We have all in all 6 days in Switzerland but to be cost effective we will only get the 4-day family travel card. But I would like to ask your opinion if it does make sense and if what I have searched as for ticket pricing from the SBB is accurate. So our travel days as follows:

July 2- arrive in Zurich and travel directly to Lucern. We will buy 1-way ticket ( CHF 30 each adult, CHF 15 for 15 year old) without any discount.

July 3- July 6 – will use our 4 day pass as we’ll be doing extensive travel. At 16:03 we will take train to Zurich while our pass is still good.

July 7 checkout from our hotel and walk around city til about 15;00 then proceed to Zurich airport by train @ 16:01 arriving @ 16:13 and will cost CHF 26 each adult, CHF 13 for 15year old.

My questions:

1) Are these the best price we can get as the saver day pass is not available even if I read in one of the forums that you can buy it up to 30 days prior to travel date.

2) Up to what time is the 4-day family travel pass valid on the last day which is July 6? I hope we’re still good for our trip going to Zurich @ 16:03.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 May 2018 at 4:23:58 #884353

1. Your Zurich to Airport fare looks wrong. You need a ZVV Individual ticket for 3 ZONES. Should cost you about CHF6.80 full fare. Or you can get a Day Pass for transport around Zurich for the whole day for not a lot more. The Saver Day Pass won’t be any use for your plans unless you plan any trips in or around Lucerne on 3 July. You can only buy the SDP up to 30 days from travel in any event.

2. If you start using the Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Family Card (be careful with terminology there is no such thing as a “4-day family travel pass” on 3 July you can travel until 05:00am on 7 July. You travel must end by 05:00am not that it will be relevant to you.

Mide
    Participant
    9 posts
    22 May 2018 at 20:48:08 #884354

Thank you:)

For the zvv day pass and our one way ticket from Zurich airport to Lucerne on day of arrival, do you recommend to buy it online together with our 4day travel pass?

Do we need reservation for the classic round trip to Rigi since we are travelling in July? Is there a separate website to look for the schedules of the cogwheel train and cable car to and from Rigi?

This forum has really been a big help and I appreciate everyone’s supporting.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 May 2018 at 20:55:03 #884355

I would just buy the ZVV ticket at Zurich Station.

You can use the SBB timetable for Rigi or http://www.rigi.ch/en/Informa tion/Mountain-railways/Rigi-Bahnen/timetables. Reservations are not required or even possible I think.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • The thread ‘First time travelers in Switzerland for 5 nights’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.