First to Schynigge Platte or the other way around?

• Blanka
    Participant
    16 posts
    20 August 2019 at 10:07:06 #823494

Hi all, greetings from rainy Wengen today! I am planning the recommended hike of First to Schynigge Platte for tomorrow on my own and have found already the detailed route among earlier posts, however I understand this can be done in both directions. Can I ask which is recommended for better views or what would be the main difference beside the obvious of hiking up or down? 🙂 Planning to leave early morning to have sufficient time for return. Many thanks for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2019 at 11:24:09 #920516

Hi Blanka and welcome to the MySwissAlps Forum!

I haven’t done it but I believe it is wonderful from both direction. The elevation is quite different though, it worth to check, I have attached the elevation graph. If you start from First you will get earlier to the highest point.

Here you’ll find the route: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/first-schynigeplatte and some more practical informations about hiking in Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king.

These can be also useful for you:

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    21 August 2019 at 16:41:28 #920517

Hi Blanka, I hope the weather is cooperating with you today!

I’ve done this hike probably 15 times, in both directions. My strong preference is SP to First. I find the opposite direction to have too much tedious downhill trekking. It’s pretty much all downhill after you reach Faulhorn which is quite early in the going. This is just my opinion as I prefer hiking up rather than down.

Blanka
    Participant
    16 posts
    21 August 2019 at 16:45:57 #920518

Thank you, Kim, yes, weather was great for Schilthorn today😊 I appreciate your advice, found your earlier document on Wengen, so this helped to decide for SP to First direction. Very useful guide, thankful for it! Warm regards, Blanka

Blanka
    Participant
    16 posts
    21 August 2019 at 16:46:46 #920519

Köszönöm szépen, Ildikó!😊

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2019 at 16:50:19 #920520

Check the times for the last train from Schynigge Platte down to Zweisimmen and the time for the last gondola down First to Grindelwald.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    21 August 2019 at 17:00:40 #920521

I believe ed meant SP to Wilderswil, not Zweisimmen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2019 at 14:43:39 #920522

🙂 Szívesen. / You’re welcome.

Hope you had a great hike today. We would be glad to read your experiences if you would like to share it after you holiday in the Trip Reports part of the forum: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/tripreports

• The thread ‘First to Schynigge Platte or the other way around?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.