Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  First to Schynigge Platte or the other way around?

First to Schynigge Platte or the other way around?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Blanka
Blanka
4 posts
Aug 20, 2019 - 10:07 AM

Hi all, greetings from rainy Wengen today! I am planning the recommended hike of First to Schynigge Platte for tomorrow on my own and have found already the detailed route among earlier posts, however I understand this can be done in both directions. Can I ask which is recommended for better views or what would be the main difference beside the obvious of hiking up or down? :) Planning to leave early morning to have sufficient time for return. Many thanks for your help!

Ildiko
Ildiko
818 posts
top member &
Aug 21, 2019 - 11:24 AM

Hi Blanka and welcome to the MySwissAlps Forum!

I haven't done it but I believe it is wonderful from both direction. The elevation is quite different though, it worth to check, I have attached the elevation graph. If you start from First you will get earlier to the highest point.

Here you'll find the route: www.myswissalps.com/hi king/first-schynigeplatte and some more practical informations about hiking in Switzerland: www.myswissalps.com/hi king.

These can be also useful for you:

Please login to see the attached documents
kim11
kim11
492 posts
top member
Aug 21, 2019 - 4:41 PM

Hi Blanka, I hope the weather is cooperating with you today!

I've done this hike probably 15 times, in both directions. My strong preference is SP to First. I find the opposite direction to have too much tedious downhill trekking. It's pretty much all downhill after you reach Faulhorn which is quite early in the going. This is just my opinion as I prefer hiking up rather than down.

Blanka
Blanka
4 posts
Aug 21, 2019 - 4:45 PM in reply to kim11

Thank you, Kim, yes, weather was great for Schilthorn today😊 I appreciate your advice, found your earlier document on Wengen, so this helped to decide for SP to First direction. Very useful guide, thankful for it! Warm regards, Blanka

Last modified on Aug 21, 2019 - 4:46 PM by Blanka
Blanka
Blanka
4 posts
Aug 21, 2019 - 4:46 PM in reply to Ildiko

Köszönöm szépen, Ildikó!😊

ed
ed
2 posts
Aug 21, 2019 - 4:50 PM

Check the times for the last train from Schynigge Platte down to Zweisimmen and the time for the last gondola down First to Grindelwald.

kim11
kim11
492 posts
top member
Aug 21, 2019 - 5:00 PM

I believe ed meant SP to Wilderswil, not Zweisimmen

Ildiko
Ildiko
818 posts
top member &
Aug 22, 2019 - 2:43 PM in reply to Blanka

:) Szívesen. / You're welcome.

Hope you had a great hike today. We would be glad to read your experiences if you would like to share it after you holiday in the Trip Reports part of the forum: www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/tripreports

Last modified on Aug 22, 2019 - 5:15 PM by Ildiko

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020