Planning Switzerland trip by train: overwhelmed!

Planning Switzerland trip by train: overwhelmed!

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Luna789
Luna789
13 posts
Jan 23, 2018 - 4:56 PM

hello!

So glad to find this forum and the help offered here! This will be a first visit, early July, and we will take a train into Switzerland to Bern. From there our expected transportation over 5 days will be: bus around town, train or bus to Thun for river trip back to Bern, train to Interlaken and into smaller towns above and back to Bern, a boat ride somewhere one day maybe?, then train to Chur and over to Tirano, Italy.

if anyone can help with what way to purchase transportation,which pass and when to buy, I will be ever appreciative. While this is fun, it is also getting a bit overwhelming! Thank you!

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Jan 23, 2018 - 7:00 PM in reply to Luna789

Hi Luna, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

I can totally understand that you feel a bit overwhelmed. Here are a few good links to get you started:

If you don't have a particular reason to stay in Bern, I would suggest to stay in Lucerne and / or close to Interlaken. Wengen or Grindelwald for example. It's best to check the link 'how to choose a Swiss rail pass' once you have decided on what to see and do. You will need to check the prices of all your planned train, bus, gondola, boat tickets (you plan to take) and do the math to compare which rail pass is the best.

Most rail passes can be ordered online and printed at home. So there's no rush for these. In general reservations for scenic trains can be made up to 90 days before departure. You don't need to have a rail pass ordered yet to make reservations.

I hope this helps.

Last modified on Jan 23, 2018 - 7:02 PM by Chantal
Luna789
Luna789
13 posts
Jan 23, 2018 - 10:16 PM

Chantal, thank you so much!

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jan 25, 2018 - 12:52 AM in reply to Luna789

Hi Luna,

>> This will be a first visit, early July ... train to Chur and over to Tirano, Italy.

You can travel from Chur to Tirano on the Bernina Express, or on regional trains which travel over exactly the same route.

If you choose to travel on the Bernina Express, reservations are compulsory, and you can make them up to 90 days in advance on the following site:

www.rhb.ch/en/tickets-travelcards/bernina-express-booking/bernina-express

Bernina Express trains are denoted in the timetable with the letters BEX. Connections without the BEX notation are regional trains which don't require a reservation.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Jan 25, 2018 - 3:05 PM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018