Switzerland trip help for June/July 2018 – 5 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2017 at 3:43:30 #813592

Hello

I am seeking some general advice as I try and plan my first trip to Switzerland. It will be my girlfriend and I and we love to hike to find the incredible views. We wouldn’t mind spending a day in one of the bigger cities, but would prefer to be more in the countryside around lakes and mountains. I have heard St Moritz is beautiful but if I fly into Zurich, is St Moritz really far away? I have also heard Luzern and Interlaken are beautiful but are in the opposite direction of St Moritz if I am coming from Zurich. We are traveling during June/July but would only be there for about 4-5 days. We love to explore and animals so if there are any wildlife tours, that would be great. We most likely will get the Swiss Travel Pass and we’re also thinking of renting an AirBnb. As I said we could spend some time in the urban areas but prefer more quiet peaceful places so we can take in the nature. So if there are smaller villages that have nice quiet lodges we would consider that. Thank you so much in advance. all your feedback will be very valuable and will point me in the right direction.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2017 at 10:04:05 #871420

Hi Afewell and welcome to MySwissAlps!

There are many destinations that will fit what you are looking for in Switzerland. I think what might appeal the most is the Jungfrau Region. You could easily spend all 5 days in this area. A town like Wengen or Lauterbrunnen may be just what you are looking for.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out your trips. Zurich to St. Moritz or Lauterbrunnen as well as from St. Moritz to Lauterbrunnen as examples (to see if the times and schedules work for you).

The Swiss Travel Pass can be bought as a 4 day pass which could work well for you.

Have a look at the links above and let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

Feel free to use the timetable to build an itinerary to the towns that interest you and post it here and we’ll be happy to give you our feedback.

Also have a look at our hiking page to read about hikes that may interest you and where they are located.

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    1 November 2017 at 11:38:35 #871421

I’m a big fan of Wengen. It is smaller and more picturesque with great access to Jungfrau region. Keep in mind the Swiss travel pass will only give you a discount on many of the cog trains and gondolas in Jungfrau region. Calculate the costs but you may be better off buying the Swiss half fare card and the Jungfrau Travel Pass which is good for everything past Interlaken except Jungfraujoch. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2017 at 20:10:47 #871422

Lucas thank you for your response. I’m glad I could take a railway from St Moritz to Lauterbrunnen. Between Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, and Murren, which would be less tourists and less busy? Do you recommend going to Zermatt?

Are there any wildlife tours or wine tours in that region?

Thank you

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    5 November 2017 at 3:02:15 #871423

Hello Afewell,

Murren is the smallest and sits on the side of the mountain as does Wengen. Both have great views and neither are too crowded especially in June. More crowded in late July and August. Lauderbrunnen is the largest and sits at the bottom of Lauderbrunnen Valley, which can be seen from Murren or Wengen from above. See attached photos of Lauterbrunnen valley as seen from Wengen. Also photo of view of Wengen from Beausite park Hotel in Wengen and 3rd is view of mountains from Hotel. Lauterbrunnen and Wengen have easier connections to the Bernese Oberland area. All 3 are lovely places to stay but the views from Murren and Wengen much better in my opinion. Probably more options for hotels and restaurants in Wengen than Murren but Murren smaller.

As to Zermatt, it is very different from Bernese Oberland area. It is much larger and more touristy. See attached photo from above Zermatt. It is best known for view of the Matterhorn and train to Gornergrat summit. It is a beautiful area too, but much busier and fancier. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2017 at 9:40:56 #871424

Hi Afewell,

Yes, trains can get you almost anywhere in the country! Just keep in mind the needed connections and travel time and sometimes you may need to take a bus or cable car as well.

There are certainly wine tour options in Switzerland, but none that I am aware of off the top of my head in the Jungfrau region. They would be more focused in the West and South-rest areas of Switzerland – Montreux for example.

I’m not sure if there are wildlife specific tours available or not – I think most are hiking / trekking tours that talk about the type of animals you could see on the trip. Have a look at the Swiss tourism website here: https://www.myswitzerl and.com/en-ch/wildlife-watching.html

Zermatt is by far the most touristy (year-round) but there is good reason for that!
    Wengen, Lauterbrunnen and Mürren will be very crowded once the hiking season starts in late June as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2017 at 3:04:37 #871425

Lucas and Marki,

Thank you for your responses. If I flew into Zurich , could I travel to Saint Moritz for a day, spend the night and then travel to Lauterbrunnen, then to either Murren or Wengen and spend the next three nights in one of those towns until I have to travel back to Zurich? Is that doable in 5 days? Would it be better if I left Saint Moritz out and went from Zurich to Interlaken before headed towards Wengen or Murren? Also if I spend 3 days or so in Wengen or Murren, is it possible to travel to Zermatt and back in one day?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 November 2017 at 5:05:55 #871426

Hi afewell,

The SBB timetable will reveal that a one way trip from Wengen to Zermatt will take just over 3 hours. So, yes you can do a day trip but how long you have to enjoy Zermatt will depend on how early you leave and how late you are happy to get back to Wengen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2017 at 10:39:06 #871427

Yes, likewise you can go to St.Moritz first, but it takes some time to get there and then the next day to get to Lauterbrunnen.
    Personally I would choose one or the other (Zermatt or St. Moritz).

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    13 November 2017 at 11:57:40 #871428

Hi Afewell,

while you certainly can stay in Lauderbrunnen for a night then move to Wengen or Murren, they are all very close to each other. You might consider staying at just one of these towns and visiting the other two. This would be very easy to do especially if you have the Jungfrau travel pass. This would save you the time and trouble of transporting your luggage and checking in and out of two hotels, which would take up a whole morning likely.

As you said before that you prefer somewhere small and quiet, Wengen or Murren might be preferable. However, all three are lovely places and l expect you would be happy at any of them. As I stated before, Wengen is my personal favorite. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2017 at 3:46:08 #871429

Thank you all for your responses. This is what I’m thinking…we fly into Zurich and make our way straight to Wengen. I will look for a hotel or rental for 4 nights. If I am staying in the Jungfrau region for all 4 days, should I just get the Jungfrau travel pass? Would that pass give me a discount if we wanted to go to Zermatt for one of those days? I was thinking Zermatt one day, I know we want to hike and see the mountains. What else or where else do you recommend? Wilderswil? The Schilthorn? Harder Kulm? Is Interlaken worth spending the day? I thinks it sounds nice to stay in Wengen now I just want to know the best things to do around there. Thank you so much.

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    15 November 2017 at 12:03:34 #871430

The Jungfrau Travel pass will be good for all trains and gondolas past Interlaken except Jungfraujoch which it gives a discount. If you get the 5 day Jungfrau pass it will also include all of the boat rides on both Interlaken lakes if you are interested in doing that. I would suggest getting the Swiss half fare card as well. It will let you get the Jungfrau pass, plus’s tickets to Interlaken Zermatt or Zurich at half price

if you go to Wilderswil, I would take the cog train up to Schynige Platte and take the Panoramic walk. The view is amazing. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2017 at 16:47:17 #871431

Hi Afewell,

The Jungfrau Travel Pass is just valid in the Jungfrau region – click here to a list of what is covered and a PDF map. Zermatt is several hours by train from Wengen. You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out possible trips.

For ideas on what to do in those towns check out these links:
    Wengen activities
    Zermatt activities

There are many! Also have a read on Wengen on this thread here by Kim.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2017 at 4:04:48 #871432

Thank you all for your responses,

so this is what I am thinking. I welcome your feedback.

Day 1- arrive in Zurich and travel to lodging in Wengen

day2 – wilderswil / schynige platte / Interlaken

day 3 – hike around Wengen / Schilthorn

day 4 -Zermatt /

what is Saas Fee? Is it close to Zermatt? Is it worth going?

Day 5 – travel back to Zurich for departure

do you think day 2 is possible to do all in one day?

Please recommend any specific activities that you like within those areas. Thank you so much l!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2017 at 4:08:28 #871433

I forgot to ask. What is Jungfraujoch? Is that close to Wengen? Should I try to go there too?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 November 2017 at 4:28:38 #871434

Junfraujoch is “The Top of Europe”. http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2017 at 8:58:58 #871435

Jungfraujoch is one of the most popular mountain attractions in Switzerland – but also quite expensive.
    Wengen is a good place to start the trip there but make sure, if you go, you check the weather forecast/webcams before you buy a ticket. It can be quite cloudy and if that is the case your views will be very limited.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 November 2017 at 9:21:47 #871436

Your day 2 is easily covered from Wengen but I wouldn’t waste too much time in Interlaken.

Day 3 – Schilthorn is on the Mürren side of the Lauterbrunnen vally from Wengen and the Schilthorn cableway is free with the Swiss Travel Pass in 2018.

Have a read of this thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/july-5-13-2018-itinerary-help-please. There is a recommendation to just base in Wengen and skip Zermatt.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2017 at 10:04:32 #871437

>> what is Saas Fee?

Saas-Fee is a beautiful car-free alpine village on a terrace above the Saastal, the neighbouring valley to Zermatt. It is surrounded by mountains and glaciers.

There are some photos attached to my trip report on this page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/saas-fee-in-mid-september-2016

>> Is it close to Zermatt?

Travel time from Zermatt to Saas-Fee is 2 hours each way.

>> Is it worth going?

It is a beautiful village, and definitely worth visiting for anyone who has enough time. Given your trip is so short, I agree with others who suggest you concentrate on the Berner Oberland, which is stunningly beautiful and has more than enough to keep you occupied for 5 days 🙂

Alpenrose

LeVoyageur
    Participant
    58 posts
    19 November 2017 at 21:35:00 #871438

Schynige Platte is absolutely stunning and to me, a must do! During our last stay, we went twice and had the chance to do lots of hiking up there. The views are amazing! Like for Jungfraujoch, you need to go there on a nice clear day to appreciate the views. Considering that it takes about an hour to get there from Wilderswil (which is a stunning train ride), I really recommend to spend the entire day there! Bring your lunch and enough water (there is a Migros right across the station at Wilderswil), and proper clothing as the weather can chage rapudly if you want to do some hiking as the restaurants are near the train station.

Personaly, unless Zermat is a must for you, I would concentrate on the Jungfrau region as there is so much to see and do. Wengen is an excellent base!

• The thread ‘Switzerland trip help for June/July 2018 – 5 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.