First trip to Switzerland -planning help for March

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 11:24:18 #814095

Hi Dear Team & Fellow members,

First of all I would like to thank you for the creation of this site which will provide many useful information for the travelers who are arriving first time to Switzerland. It is my first time to Switzerland. No! to Europe!!. We (My wife and I) chose Switzerland as our first destination in Europe.We are planning this trip on Mid March this year.

Our plan as below

• March 16, 2018 – Arrival at Zurich airport at 11.00 AM and transfer to Luzern
    • March 17, 2018 to March 19, 2018 – Mountain excursions and sight seeing at Luzern , Interlaken , Jungfrauch, Titlis, Pilatus, etc
    • March 20, 2018 – Catch morning train to Paris.

Can anyone please suggest us a good itinerary for this short duration tour? Is it good to stay in Luzern and travel to the other places? Can we make use of Swiss travel pass? Which city is easier to catch train to Paris?

We would like to visit Zermatt also in our trip. But don’t know is it possible in this 4 night trip.

We welcome your advice and suggestions.

Thanking in advance!!

Warm Regards

Anil

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 15:03:56 #874802

Hi Anil and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, you will have to make some sacrifices on your trip and decide what you most want to see as far as the different mountains you mention.

You could base yourself around Interlaken as it would make getting around everywhere a little quicker. Have a look through the different mountains and decide which you want to see the most. I would restrict myself to one per day, but you could visit Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Titlis from Luzern in one day if you wanted to. I’d pick just one though and visit it after arriving in Zurich and then head to Interlaken.

From Interlaken you could make the trip to Jungfraujoch and then the next day to Zermatt. Zermatt is a long day from Interlaken but it depends on how much time you want to spend on trains.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out your days.
    You could get the Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days. It will cover most of your trips and give discounts for others. Read about what is covered on the pass here.

You can catch a train to Paris from any town. They will all travel via Basel or Geneva.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 January 2018 at 15:59:45 #874803

Hi Anil –

For useful general information about travel in Switzerland, including weather, check out this page and follow the links:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ge ttingstarted

Sounds like a nice trip. You’ll see a lot of famous scenery. A benefit to basing in Interlaken is to allow for flexibility. If the weather is clear on the Jungfrau, you can learn it in the early AM and go right on up. If it is cloudy on the Jungfrau, you can choose one of the other locations and take a train. The weather can change dramatically and quickly in the high Alps, so it is good to stay close by. If you stay in Luzern, you are a couple of hours away. Also, further from Zermatt. Zermatt is between 2 and 2 1/2 hours from Interlaken.

The timetable that Lucas linked you to will help you plan:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Just so you know, mid-March is still ski season. Lots of snow in the high Alps.

Luzern itself, at a much lower altitude, will still not really be into Spring, but there will possibly be some signs that it is coming….but also, the possibility of Winter weather.

None of that should affect your plans in any way, for the plans you have described. It only becomes an issue – positive if you wish to ski, negative if you wish to hike. If those interest you, let us know.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 17:13:13 #874804

Thanks Sirs!! will check the possibility as per your suggestions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2018 at 18:03:26 #874805

Dear Sirs,

Can you please guide me in choosing the best benefited pass during our Switzerland trip. I heard about Winter Tell Pass which cost around CHF 157 for 4 days and can access all public transport, mountain transports and cable cars to the mountains. As I indicated in the post we wish to travel to Jungfrauch, Pilatus and Titlis based on our stay in Luzern. We have no issue in travelling in 2nd class. We might not be travelling to Zermatt. So our other transportation requirements is ZRH airport to Luzern and maybe from Luzern to Zurich for city tour.

Will it give us cost saving? Will it give any discount in Jungfrauch journey? Will the cable car and Gondola be free with this pass? Awaiting your valuable suggestions.

Thanking you!

Best Regards

Anil

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 9:22:25 #874806

Hi Anil,

You can see what the Winter Tell Pass covers here.

For trips outside the Lucerne area: It will cover you only as far as Interlaken (on your trip to Jungfraujoch so the majority of the trip is not covered. Interlaken to Jungfraujoch will be about 210CHF round trip (per person).

It will then cover you from Luzern to Zurich only as far as Zug. Then you will need a ticket for the rest of the trip.

• The thread ‘First trip to Switzerland -planning help for March’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.