First trip to Switzerland – Interlaken or Lucerne?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2016 at 3:21:43 #808648

Hello, my wife and I are planning a trip to Switzerland in late May and I would really appreciate any tips / suggestions on how to make the most of our time there. Here’s a rough itinerary that I currently have for 1 week.

– Fly into Zurich, spend 1 night just to wear off the jetlag

– Train to Interlaken, spend 3 nights

– Train to Lucerne, spend 3 nights

– Train to Zurich to hop on the Bernina Express to head over to Tirano, Italy then continue our trip.

What I’m unsure about is whether spending time in both Interlaken AND Lucerne is worth it? Are the two towns very similar? If you had to choose, which one would it be?

Thanks a lot! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    18 March 2016 at 7:33:13 #849509

Hi tigerjik, thanks for joining us!

Lucerne and Interlaken are quite different. Lucerne is an attractive town. Interlaken isn’t that pretty, but its surroundings are stunning and you’re closer to the Alps than in Lucerne. So if you find it hard to choose, it’s perfectly fine to spend a couple of nights in (or near) both towns. Of course your choice should also depend on the activities you’d like to do.

Please visit our Bernina Express page for details on this trip. Once your itinerary is set, mind to look into rail passes.

• The thread ‘First trip to Switzerland – Interlaken or Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.