Buy Swiss Travel Pass Flex, different one, none?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2018 at 20:53:24 #818301

Can you help me figure out if it’s worth it to purchase a flex travel pass, a different one, or none at all? I am traveling 3 days but not consecutively, but would like discounts for transportation for sightseeing in Wengen and Zurich, such as the cable car or cruise in Zurich.

Buying 3 individual tickets from zurich to wengen and back, then then to kreuzlingen sounds like a headache, but maybe it’s not as bad as it sounds.

If I don’t buy a rail pass, what happens if I miss a connection on one of my rail stops to lauterbrunnen? Can I just catch the next one or do I need to purchase another ticket? How does this differ if I buy a rail pass?

Can I purchase additional travel for 50% off with the flex pass if I exceed my 3 days of non-consecutive travel, or was that only the combi pass which no longer exists? Lastly, does travel by city bus and metro count as a travel day? Or is it free regardless if I haven’t used all my 3 days of non-consecutive travel?

Does traveling from Lauterbrunnen to Schilthorn count as a travel day? I read online that travel to schilthorn was included for free. Can only get discounts on the cable car on the same day that I travel? I prefer to not have to worry about buying individual passes which put me on a time schedule.

If I arrive later this week to zurich, will I have enough time to have the flex pass delivered to the airport?

Thank you very much,

Raquel

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2018 at 23:36:07 #895973

With a transport ‘rover ticket’ type pass (applies to most countries, not just Switzerland), you can only travel on a valid day. If you have a Flexi pass, you can travel on the nominated travel days only, regardless of whether it is train, tram, bus, cable car etc

In most circumstances in Switzerland, you can break your journey / catch any train / catch ‘the next one’ if you miss a train etc

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2018 at 0:40:02 #895974

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. To clarify, so we get unlimited travel (can take as many trains, buses as you want) but only on the days that you’ve determined ahead of time?

So what do you suggest if I am not taking any trains on the day that I take the cable car? Is it cheaper then to get the 3 day flex pass and pay for the cable car and zurich cruise separately?

Any idea how the travel to schilthorn works?

Thank you,

Rachel

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 September 2018 at 4:54:47 #895975

Welcome to MySwissAlps Rachel!

You can read all about the Swiss Travel Pass Flex here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpassflex. It only works on the days you pick to travel (unlimited travel indeed, and discounts on transport to the peaks). So there will be no discounts or any things else on the remaining days. That’s why for most people this is not the best choice. Please let us know a bit more about your plans, like the length of your stay, how long you’ll stay in each town, and your plans there. Either way, this page helps you choose: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

• The thread ‘Buy Swiss Travel Pass Flex, different one, none?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.