Flexibility of half-fare tickets to Schilthorn

• sarahc
    Participant
    14 posts
    12 June 2019 at 18:03:23 #822232

I am determining which travel pass to purchase between the STP and the 1/2 fare pass. If we buy tickets to Schilthorn using a half-fare card, are the tickets flexible where we can get off at one of the stops and walk around, or even walk down to the next stop? More specifically, are the tickets strict to the times stated? We are interested in doing the Thrill Walk at Birg on the way up, and would like to walk down to Gimmelwald from Murren and then get on the cable car at Stechelberg to complete our trip. Is this allowed? Or do we have to purchase additional tickets?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 June 2019 at 18:13:52 #914988

Hi Sarahc,

Tickets are valid all day and you can get on and off wherever you like. You can’t backtrack though, so it’s up and down once with stops as you please. Most online tickets do have a fixed date.

With the Swiss Travel Pass it’s all free so no date restrictions and you can go up as much as you like.

sarahc
    Participant
    14 posts
    12 June 2019 at 18:28:49 #914989

Thank you Arno. I’ve been going in circles about which pass to purchase. Some of the fares are cheaper early in the morning, however, it’s hard to determine what times we will actually get moving. We have 4 calendar day where we are in the country, but travel on the first day is from Zurich to Luzern (we will arrive late afternoon and will most likely just walk around the city), and on the fourth day is only from Burglauenen to Domodossola. I’m having a hard time deciding with 3 days to use on a 3-day STP, and paying full price for the other trip.

Also, if things go as I have planned, then the price difference is just a few CHF different between the STP and the half-fare card. Would you agree that it is probably worth that difference in the convenience of not having to purchase tickets or be restricted to specific times by going with the Swiss Travel Pass?

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 June 2019 at 20:23:35 #914990

Yes, the convenience is definitely worth it if the price difference is minimal. You can buy the pass for day 2 to 4 as day 1 won’t be expensive. You can then also stop thinking about Schilthorn tickets as unlimited rides are included anyway. You can print the pass at home: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

sarahc
    Participant
    14 posts
    13 June 2019 at 2:51:08 #914991

Again, thank you, Arno. Convenience is important at this point. I appreciate your input.

• The thread ‘Flexibility of half-fare tickets to Schilthorn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.