Flight cancelled by Swiss Air, request refund

• Timbertrail
    Participant
    73 posts
    11 August 2020 at 11:01:19 #825651

I am curious if anyone has actually gotten a refund from Swiss Int’l Airline after requesting it? And if so, how long did it take? I requested our refund weeks ago and have heard nothing. Not even a confirmation email acknowledgement. I did screen shot the conformation page on the website after filling out the refund form. Our flights were early June, which Swiss cancelled

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6279 posts
    11 August 2020 at 12:26:41 #934090

Hi Timbertrail,

Sorry to hear your flight is cancelled. According to the Swiss Air website, request for refund could take up to 3 months to process. Perhaps you could contact Customer Support if you haven’t got a confirmation.

http://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/customer-support/service-center

Regards,

Anna

Timbertrail
    Participant
    73 posts
    11 August 2020 at 14:52:31 #934091

Thanks Anna. Just curious of other’s experiences with them.

Maloja_Snake
    Participant
    82 posts
    11 August 2020 at 15:10:45 #934092

I received an email from Swiss on 6/29 that they were cancelling my 7/15 flight. I immediately requested a refund through their website, and like you was given confirmation of the cancellation, and made a screenshot. After that, crickets…

Malang85
    Participant
    45 posts
    11 August 2020 at 15:36:44 #934093

Hi timbertrail and other beautiful members of this group.

I booked my tickets in year 2019 for travel date 12-25.05.2020. I got confirmation mail from swiss about cancelation in April 2020 and in July 2020, I got my refund.

I had to make rigorous follow up (weekly) through e-mails, twitter handle of Lufthansa and Swiss international both.

Anna
    6279 posts
    11 August 2020 at 16:46:55 #934094

Thanks for sharing Malang85!

Regards,

Anna

Timbertrail
    Participant
    73 posts
    12 August 2020 at 14:14:02 #934095

Thank you all. At least I now know some have received the refunds. 😶

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    12 August 2020 at 15:41:31 #934096

This is not my case but my neighbor case. He booked tickets with Lufthansa for Austria and his brother booked tickets with Swiss Air for Switzerland (from India). They were supposed to fly in May 2020. Flight cancelled due to COVID. They got refund 10 days back after some follow up

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2020 at 19:47:11 #934097

Hi Shroffchetan,

I guess your neighbor was lucky then. I also heard at least 3 months to receive the refund.

I had several tickets within Europe and same as above, 3 months until I got the refund.

Ildiko

Timbertrail
    Participant
    73 posts
    13 August 2020 at 15:04:00 #934098

At least I know I will likely receive it! Thanks!!

Timbertrail
    Participant
    73 posts
    13 August 2020 at 15:05:11 #934099

One question … did those of you who eventually received a refund get an email confirmation of the refund when it was issued?

Malang85
    Participant
    45 posts
    13 August 2020 at 15:30:48 #934100

In my case, I got personal message on my twitter account from Lufthansa/Swiss that my refund is being processed.

Later, I confirmed the same from Swiss India office through email.

After 5-8days from above mentioned confirmations, I got refund in my card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2020 at 19:02:58 #934101

Hi Timbertrail,

when I filled out the form I didn’t received any email. But when I got the refund 3 months after they did send me an email about it. But this one was a low-cost airline not Lufthansa/Swiss.

Did you contacted the customer support as Anna suggested previously? What did they say to you?

Ildiko

For other readers of this thread, this can be also useful: Switzerland travel planning during the coronacrisis

Manjiri_vora
    Participant
    16 posts
    14 August 2020 at 5:35:15 #934102

I had booked through lufthansa.

both lufthansa and swiss are owned by same company anyways.

i cancelled my flight on april 14 2020 and lufthansa promised full refund.

then by june i started writting them emails and then they finally refunded my money by june end.

do not call their customer care, those people just do booking and cancellation of flights.

keep emailing them till you get a response.

i used to email them daily.

i got a response on 11 th june that my amount was refunded.

i finally got the refund on my card on 2nd of july.

Anna
    6279 posts
    14 August 2020 at 5:44:44 #934103

Thanks Manjiri vora, for sharing your experience.

I suppose the best thing to do is to be patient and send them an email when it takes too long 🙂

Regards,

Anna

Timbertrail
    Participant
    73 posts
    15 August 2020 at 21:40:23 #934104

Thanks, Manjiri! What email address did you use for correspondence about your refund?

Manjiri_vora
    Participant
    16 posts
    16 August 2020 at 2:37:56 #934105

[email protected].

lufthansa responds to email.

difficult times for us and for them.

Hope you get your refund as soon as possible.

Be persistent and keep reminding them.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    21 August 2020 at 8:20:04 #934106

This is not pertaining to refund of cancelled flight by Swiss Air but it is about cancelled flight by Turkish Airlines in my OWN case. But I thought this experience may be relevant

I booked Mumbai-Instanbul-Munich and Vienna-Istanbul-Mumbai tickets from Turkish Airlines.I booked these tickets through online aggregator makemytrip.com. My tickets were partially refundable. My flight was cancelled by airline due to COVID

I never got any communication from Turkish Airlines or makemytrip. When I checked on Turkish Airlines website that flight was cancelled, I tried to contact makemytrip but their phones were unanswered. Somehow I got India call centre of Turkish Airlines and they informed me about options other than cash refund. When I insisted that I want cash refund, they told me that I need to contact my travel agent makemytrip

Makemytrip informed me that airline is not giving cash refund and I have to excercise other options. When I informed them that Turkish Airlines agreed to give refund but through travel agent only, Makemytrip informed me that they do not have any update for cash refund

I was tracking website of makemytrip and Turkish Airlines and I read on makemytrip website that Turkish Airlines will give cash refund for cancelled flight. I approached makemytrip call centre and they agreed for cancellation and full cash refund. Makemytrip was not sure when I shall get cash refund.

I called up Turkish Airlines and checked if my tickets were cancelled for cash refund. They confirmed cancellation and told me that refund will be granted after 2 months

Even after 3 months I did not get any refund. I again checked makemytrip website. I came to know that I need to raise a refund claim also to get refund. I raised refund claim in first week of August 2020. I called Turkish Airlines call centre and they informed me that refund will be granted after 10th August 2020. I kept waiting and finally I received email confirmation that my refund has been processed and I shall get refund in next 15 working days.

Finally I received refund in my credit card

My learnings:1) Always book cancellable tickets 2) It is better if you book directly through airlines instead of agents 3) You need to chase them madly with lot of patience 4) Many times travel agents are not aware of airline policies and you have to inform them by email 5) You need to have LOADS OF PATIENCE

Thanks for reading with patience

Anna
    6279 posts
    21 August 2020 at 8:31:20 #934107

Hi Schroffchetan,

Thanks for sharing your experience. From my experience as well, it is always best to book your tickets direct with the airline. In any case, everything Covid-related now requires plenty of patience and resilience 🙂

Regards,

Anna

musicgal
    Participant
    3 posts
    24 August 2020 at 20:24:35 #934108

My husband, daughter and I had flights cancelled. Our tickets were for March 30, 2020. We just received our refund last month. So, you may need to contact Customer Service to get them on the ball. After filling out all of the paperwork, I made several calls (which took forever on hold and often-times was disconnected after a long wait). But, I finally got satisfaction and our credit card was refunded in full.

Good luck and be patient!

Timbertrail
    Participant
    73 posts
    24 August 2020 at 20:31:14 #934109

Thank you for the update on your refund! I’m so glad you got it and I will start calling… ugghh..

thanks,

Sue

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • The thread ‘Flight cancelled by Swiss Air, request refund’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.