Flims to Ascona by car – Thoughts on the drive

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2018 at 19:04:03 #816866

Thank you all for your advice. Love reading all the forums! So we are coming to Switzerland in August and the plan was to drive leisurely from Zurich to Andermatt stay two nights then drive the Gotthard to Ascona. Then drive back to Zurich probably via the tunnel. I just can’t get excited about Andermatt although the Chedi looks amazing I am not coming to Switzerland to stay in nice hotel, I want to be in the nature. So I thought I would switch Andermatt for Flims which looks beautiful, I don’t think I have been there and it is the iconic Swiss beauty I am looking for.

What is the drive like from Flims to Ascona? And do you think the tunnel traffic will be terrible if we are driving on a tuesday at midday on the way back to Zurich from ascona? If so should we just drive the Gotthard which we will now be missing due to new route. OR finally should I keep my plans for Andermatt and will it meet my needs for seeing the nature I miss in the alps? I know I am over thinking this…..

Thanks again for your advice,

Laurie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    25 June 2018 at 12:29:47 #889311

Flims-Ascona : Motorwy A13. There is also a tunnel (San Bernardino). If you want it scenic, and do the trip during summer, you have the option of travelling via the mountain pass.

Ascona-Zurich: via the St Gothhard tunnel. There may be a heavy truck traffic. Again, during summer, the mountain pass option is available. That would go through Andermatt. The new resort there is not “typically Swiss”. Foreign waiters don’ t know what a “Kafi Fertig” is (coffee with local brandy). On the other hand if you go there you’ll then be able to boast having had what is arguably the most expensive coffee in the world…

Andermatt is IN the Alps, so I don’t fully understand your question about seeing the nature here or there… And what do you mean by “new” route? Surely, the Gotthard pass route is old compared to the road tunnel opened in the 1980s, but the really new tunnel (2017) is a railway tunnel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 10:40:05 #889312

Hi, sorry I wasn’t really clear about the question, but I was able to extrapolate the answer anyway. I just wanted a more Swiss experience than the Chedi, which I am sure is quite beautiful, and the Flims area will do that for me. Also, we get to drive over two different passes and that will be fun.

Thanks for your help.

Laurie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 12:39:00 #889313

Snowman,

Thank you for your comments and the two links at the bottom of your reply. I have changed my itinerary and now feel very happy with my plan. I used to drink ‘Kafi fertig ‘ often in the winter between ski runs (to improve my skiing) and definitely want a hotel with an authentic Swiss feel. This forum offers excellent advice and helped me work through what I was looking to accomplish on this trip.

Thanks again for your help.

Laurie

• The thread ‘Flims to Ascona by car – Thoughts on the drive’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.