Food sharing in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2017 at 19:15:26 #813231

Is it allowed to share food in Switzerland? i mean if we take just 1 Pizza which is actually more than sufficient for both of us then i would not prefer to order other main course dish for my wife, which is not acceptable in UK, at least where i have visited. What’s the practice in Switzerland?

What are the prices for a meal , i did not get a recent answer for this question anywhere hence asking here. Considering both of us are vegetarian.

I hope we do not need to pay for water in the restaurant? Do i need to mention it before asking for the water in a restaurant that i want a free/tap water?

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    9 September 2017 at 20:37:54 #869682

Hi pkhedkar1512,

From my experience, sharing a meal is not really appreciated in most places. Whether free tap water is offered depends on the restaurant and also the location. I think in French speaking Switzerland free tap water is more common than in the rest of the country. In any case, if you want tap water, then ask for it. Otherwise they’ll serve you mineral water (often sparkling) and charge for that.

Prices for a meal can be anything from CHF 10 (a snack like meal, e.g. in a supermarket restaurant) to CHF 200. I’d estimate a dish of vegetarian pasta to cost CHF 15 to 30, depending on how fancy the restaurant is. Vegetarian will be cheaper than other dishes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2017 at 21:01:04 #869683

Thanks for that.

Is it considered wierd if i drink the water from my own bottle… Incase i am in a restaurant where they charge for the tap water?

And what’s the average charge for the tap water?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2017 at 23:29:36 #869684

It would be unusual to drink from your own bottled water at a restaurant – I’ve never noticed that before when dining out. Have you tried this before and been told not to?

You may be able to get tap water at some restaurants at no charge. I think this is a tourist effect now. But if you don’t ask it will be bottled water at around 3-5 chf per small bottle.

In the end, if you are trying to save money I would avoid restaurants entirely and find take-away restaurants and/or buy food at grocery stores like Coop and Migros which have a good selection of hot and cold food.

As for meal sharing, my wife and I will sometimes just share 2 or 3 appetizers (vorspeise in German) instead of a main meal if we aren’t too hungry.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2017 at 1:54:25 #869685

We were in Switzerland for 3 weeks this summer and only once were we offered free tap water. Since that was the case, we usually had wine, beer, or sparkling water with our meal. If after I had finished the drink I ordered and I had my backpack with my water bottle handy, I would have a sip if I was thirsty. Since it was summer and we were mostly eating outside, it did not seem too odd.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2017 at 2:03:46 #869686

it would be unusual to drink from your own bottled water at a restaurant – I’ve never noticed that before when dining out. Have you tried this before and been told not to?“Ans- I have done that in india due to medical issues, but anyways no one bothers to ask you the reason for that , it is anyways fine.and i have been only to USA and UK(english and scottish ,both parts) but never faced such a situation since tap water is free.

Actually i have kept my budget like 50-60chf per day per meal for 2 people. I hope it is sufficient for a meal in an average restaurant by looking at Arno’s reply.since We are vegetarian and strictly non-alcoholic. It’s just that it’s very uncommon to pay for tap water to the places where i have been andtherefore i am reluctant.Anyways Thanks a lot for those replies..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2017 at 20:56:24 #869687

50-60 chf per meal (for 2 people) should be about right with no alcohol (maybe a little tight for dinners though).

I don’t believe anyone will charge you for tap water but they might not offer it as an option – so if you want water you have to pay for a bottle.

I wouldn’t worry about it in the end – if you want to bring a bottle of water yourself just do it. 🙂 haha.

pvonk
    Participant
    382 posts
    10 September 2017 at 22:27:31 #869688

Following up on the liquid refreshments, can you buy a glass of wine, instead of a bottle in most restaurants?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2017 at 3:16:57 #869689

Plonk – I only bought glasses of wine not bottles and found the price very reasonable compared to the US. It was also fun to try wines only availabie in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2017 at 12:36:24 #869690

I find this conversation to be bizarre. If a waiter argued with me about what I ordered in any country I would ask for the manager and, if the issue wasn’t immediately resolved to my liking, stop eating and walk out without paying. If the restaurant wants to discourage splitting meals they should put a split plate fee on the menu.

Arno
    15482 posts
    16 September 2017 at 14:24:34 #869691

Hi Taylor77,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! I don’t think there’s a need to argue with a waiter; just ask for what you want and they mostly will be able and willing to cater to your likings. I quite often found that restaurants even offered two sizes of dishes (small and large pizzas for example). And as Lucas said, there are appetizers and salads too, so a meal can be as small or big as you like.

Enjoy your meals!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2017 at 15:23:45 #869692

update: guys i am in Switzerland right now. Been to pontresina for 1st three nights and it was amazing. Tonigt is my third night in Zermatt. Had no problem in dinning. I have a kitchenette everywhere but also in resturant there was no problem we could share..and prices were very much ok. At Diavolezza we had lunch in 30 chf. Which was filling for us , may be because my wife’s Appetit is bit less. We had a nice rostie, red sauce pasta and a coffee.Which was good considering that we got it at the top of the mountain. Even today at Matterhorn glacier express we had red sauce pasta again ,good quantity and quality , french fries and a coffee. It was 40 chf which is very reasonable. Basically the self servw restaurants will not bother if you are sharing the plate or not. You may notice the drasic price difference if you catch BEX and have a lunch at Tirano.we were more than full there in 20 chf including awesome street icecream. If you are in switzerland right now my advice is please catch the BEX (960 or 961) which have the special open carriages attached which is one of the nicest memory for me, its really fun. I even met the 91 year old grandpa, and he was telling some really nices information facts,history about Switzerland which i would have never known otherwise. My stay tilltody was really nice and i am sure even next 9 nights will be memorable for me. All in al its a. Nice country with nice welcoming people who respect their tourits a lot. Guys you are lucky to be born here..Sorry for the long para. Cheers

Arno
    15482 posts
    16 September 2017 at 17:47:55 #869693

Hi pkhedkar1512,

Thanks for reporting back here. I’m glad to hear it’s all working out well for you! I wish I was born in the Alps, but I’m a tourist just like yourself. I keep coming back since 1997. The food is always something to look forward to 🙂

• The thread ‘Food sharing in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.