Footwear and clothes to Jungfrau region Mid july

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2016 at 2:43:39 #809602

I will be travelling to Jungfrau region, including the trip to Jungfraujoch in July. Will it be fine if I were to wear my normal running shoes and walk around the region? And also, I will just be likely wear a normal jacket when I travel up to Jungfraujoch. Will these be sufficient? I will be travelling to other parts of Europe as well, so I do not want to carry so much clothes and shoes around.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 July 2016 at 9:21:00 #853762

Hi FranFran-

<<“Will it be fine if I were to wear my normal running shoes and walk around the region?”>>

Yes and no. 😉

Depends on what you mean by “walk around the region.”

There are trails and walks of varying difficulty.

On this link, you will note that some trails show a red and white indicator, while others are yellow.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/som mer/tourism/destinatio ns/kleine-scheidegg/hiking-trails/

This link explains the types of trails:

http://www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-swiss-alps/

If the trail has a red/white marker, you need boots or heavy sturdy shoes with lugged soles and a hiking staff.

Yellow-marked trails are OK with running shoes, but even the “yellow” trails can be rocky and rough, so that thin soles may let your feet feel more of the surface texture than you like.

The link gives some good perspective and explanation, especially for the more difficult hikes:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

Here are some pictures (attached) of different portions of an easy hike. There are level and also somewhat downhill portions, even on an easy (yellow coded) hike. It is near the end of the Panoramic Trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. That is sometimes called “The Grannies’ Walk” because it is so easy. 😉

Notice the gravel underfoot. If you try to hurry on that kind of surface, it is easy to slip. If you take your time, no problem.

The last picture, showing the short climb to Männlichen Gipfel, is a “red/white” “mountain trail.”

Also, those easy trails can often be wet, where snow melt runs across them. Running shoes are not waterproof….

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2016 at 14:23:43 #853763

thank you so much for your valuable advice!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2016 at 7:36:23 #853764

Hi slowspoke

We are a middle aged couple from india. We will tour europe for 3- weeks in august.We wil stay for 3 days in wengen and 2 days in luzern in 2nd week and plan a easy hike mannilichen- to k.s and then train to jungfrauch top. Your views related to shoes is clear to me.But what about clothing we needed in Switzerland. Friends please come and share your valuable experience.

dipchat

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 July 2016 at 9:26:51 #853765

Hi Dipchat and FranFran –

Please look through this information and see if it answers your questions about clothing:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

us.worldweatheronline. com/wengen-weather-averages/ch.aspx

http://www.myweather2.com/Cit y-Town/Switzerland/Wenge n/climate-profile.aspx

The sun can add a lot of warmth at high altitudes.

Conversely, it can be cooler than expected if it is cloudy and rainy.

Männlichen can be a bit cooler than Wengen, because of the altitude 800-1000 meters higher and the exposed location.

When I walk up there I always have a warm sweter or fleece in my pack and a windbreaker on my back, unless it is very sunny.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 July 2016 at 10:30:10 #853766

Multiple thinner layers work best, as explained on myswissalps.com/ weather. That allows you to easily adapt to nearly all circumstances. Winter clothing is not necessary unless you travel in winter or plan to do snow activities like snow tubing.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    5 July 2016 at 21:15:45 #853767

hi,

As Slowpoke has already mentioned, boots are a safer option on a lot of trails. If you intend to go out on the snow field at the Jungfraujoch, then boots are definitely the way to go. Speaking personally, I don’t take Joggers into the mountains. If I don’t need boots, I wear sandals (Tevas, Keens, etc)

When you go up to the Jungfraujoch you’ll need some warm clothes. The temperature in the tunnel and Ice Grotto is below freezing, although the restaurant is very stuffy. If you go outside it can be quite warm in the sun, but really cold if it’s cloudy or there’s a breeze. I’d recommend a good jumper and a windproof shell as a minimum. And don’t forget to take sun screen and sun glasses.

Have a great trip!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 July 2016 at 22:01:39 #853768

<<“As Slowpoke has already mentioned, boots are a safer option on a lot of trails.”>>

Not to mention, a lot more comfortable. The ankle support is very helpful for me. Even the best trails are not paved streets (usually).

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 July 2016 at 23:23:46 #853769

And, they can be rented.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Footwear and clothes to Jungfrau region Mid july’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.