Footwear/clothing advice for hiking around Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 10:22:57 #816716

Hi

We have a weekend in Wengen in mid July. Our plan is to do the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike on one day and then get the train up to Jungfraujoch (weather permitting). Day 2 we will do the Lauterbrunnen-Stechelberg walk and maybe head on to Murren.

I assume July will be very warm, even at altitude? What would people recommend for adequate footwear? I have already own a 3 year old pair of approach/walking shoes but i wanted to buy my wife a pair as a gift. Any recommendations? I assume waterproof is a must; it’s whether we need ankle support or not?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 16:34:32 #888649

Hi Robby,

It really depends on the amount of walking and hiking you will be doing as well as the type of hikes. Are you looking at more difficult hikes or simpler hikes near mountain tops ? Most trails listed as “easy” here (https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking) can be done without special hiking shoes (especially the shorter trips). But you’ll be more comfortable and less liklely to slip wearing some type of hiking shoe or boot.

I always prefer to have some ankle support regardless of the trail.

As for weather, it typically drops 1 degree (C) per 100 meter gain in elevation. Lauterbrunnen is around 25 degrees C this week at 800m. Go up to 2000 meters (https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/maennlich en-kleinescheidegg) and it is probably 13-15 degrees. Jungfraujoch is another 1000 meters higher than that (currently 5 degrees).

• The thread ‘Footwear/clothing advice for hiking around Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.