Foreign currency exchange in Switzerland

Foreign currency exchange in Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
sirles
sirles
42 posts
Jan 17, 2017 - 4:28 PM

Hi

Can anyone please tell me which is the best place to get Swiss Francs without high commission rates and will accept both credit and debit cards in Switzerland?

Is credit and debits cards OK to use for shops and excursions or places of interest and anywhere else in Switzerland?

Thank You

Les

Lucas
Lucas
8881 posts
expert &
Jan 17, 2017 - 5:28 PM in reply to sirles

Hi Sirles,

I would look at the SBB office at a main train station or airport. See link here.
Also major banks have counters at Swiss airports as well. See our page on the Swiss Franc here.

Your best bet may be to just withdraw Swiss Francs from an ATM machine if and when you need it.

Most of the time I find I can use a debit or credit card in Zurich and other larger towns but I'd be wary in smaller communities and small shops. It still surprises me when they don't accept them! It isn't as common here as North America. It annoys me to no end!

Most of the time you will be ok though I would always keep some Swiss Francs on me when travelling and I usually ask stores/restaurants in smaller areas if they accept credit or debit cards before buying anything.

Hope that helps, another member might have another preferred shop for cash exchanging as well.

Lucas

Last modified on Jan 17, 2017 - 5:34 PM by Lucas
sirles
sirles
42 posts
Jan 17, 2017 - 6:16 PM

Thanks Lucas

I will try and use my card to buy things as often as I can cause they don't charge you commission. What about using my debit card for going up mountains ie cable cars or cogwheel trains where you only get part discounts?

Thanks again

Les

Lucas
Lucas
8881 posts
expert &
Jan 18, 2017 - 9:05 AM in reply to sirles

Hi Sirles,

Debit cards should be taken when buying tickets at SBB offices for these journeys. Sometimes, though North American debit cards won't work...they like Maestro here which we don't have usually in N.America. Sometimes though if you have the right symbol on the card it will work - just don't count on it again. :)

Lucas

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018