Foreign currency exchange in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2017 at 16:28:27 #810598

Hi

Can anyone please tell me which is the best place to get Swiss Francs without high commission rates and will accept both credit and debit cards in Switzerland?

Is credit and debits cards OK to use for shops and excursions or places of interest and anywhere else in Switzerland?

Thank You

Les

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2017 at 17:28:16 #858150

Hi Sirles,

I would look at the SBB office at a main train station or airport. See link here.
    Also major banks have counters at Swiss airports as well. See our page on the Swiss Franc here.

Your best bet may be to just withdraw Swiss Francs from an ATM machine if and when you need it.

Most of the time I find I can use a debit or credit card in Zurich and other larger towns but I’d be wary in smaller communities and small shops. It still surprises me when they don’t accept them! It isn’t as common here as North America. It annoys me to no end!

Most of the time you will be ok though I would always keep some Swiss Francs on me when travelling and I usually ask stores/restaurants in smaller areas if they accept credit or debit cards before buying anything.

Hope that helps, another member might have another preferred shop for cash exchanging as well.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2017 at 18:16:15 #858151

Thanks Lucas

I will try and use my card to buy things as often as I can cause they don’t charge you commission. What about using my debit card for going up mountains ie cable cars or cogwheel trains where you only get part discounts?

Thanks again

Les

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2017 at 9:05:25 #858152

Hi Sirles,

Debit cards should be taken when buying tickets at SBB offices for these journeys. Sometimes, though North American debit cards won’t work…they like Maestro here which we don’t have usually in N.America. Sometimes though if you have the right symbol on the card it will work – just don’t count on it again. 🙂

Lucas

• The thread ‘Foreign currency exchange in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.