Forex cards & cash in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2017 at 9:30:08 #813308

Hello all,

I have a couple of quick questions regarding Forex.My home country currency (INR) is much less CHF, thus I have to be very watchful of my spends in Europe. I am traveling to Swiss from 18th October to 22nd October and have already purchased Swiss travel pass. I have to pay for food and stay (have reserved an accommodation in Lucerene for these 4 days for CHF390. Here are my questions:

• Is Forex card accepted at all places?
    • Should I carry any cash at all? If yes, what should be the minimum I should carry?
    • I plan to rent shoes @ Mt. Titlis. Do those shops also accept forex cards or should I carry cash?

Thanks,

Sri Harsha

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2017 at 16:25:15 #869993

Hi Sri,

I haven’t actually heard of a Forex card before so I had to do some quick research!

It seems they are essentially a Visa or MasterCard and should then be accepted where ever Visa (or Mastercard) is accepted.

I would always keep about 100 Swiss Franc on you in Switzerland as some shops may not accept a credit card.
    If the Forex card does work as any other Visa or MasterCard then the hotel should accept it with no problem (best to check with them directly). I would also guess that a clothing/shoe rental shop will accept credit cards as well but I don’t know for sure.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Forex cards & cash in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.