Four Day Swiss Passes for Youth and Child

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2014 at 8:11:12 #806737

Hello all,

I am planning to travel in Switzerland for 4 days in January and plan on purchasing the 4 day Swiss pass as we will be using the trains quite a lot. However, I’ve come across an issue that I haven’t seen anyone post about. I would be considered a youth (24) and so would purchase the discounted youth Swiss pass. I am traveling with my brother who is 14 and so he would fall under the discounted child pass. However, I have noticed that anyone under 15 traveling with someone else with a Swiss pass rides free on all trains, boats, bus, etc. in Switzerland.

I am wondering however if the “family card” availability only applies to children under 15 who are traveling with someone holding the adult (full price) swiss pass and so over 25, not with someone who has the discounted youth Swiss pass. I have checked various websites and not seen a clear distinction between whether it can only be a full price Swiss pass or if it is ok for one person to have the youth pass instead…

When I go through this website to check for the best pass to use, I am given the youth swiss pass with free family card the RailEurope so I am assuming this means that I can have my brother travel for free with me. I just do not want to only buy a Swiss pass for myself ahead of the trip and have it turn out that he must have purchased thee child swiss pass to be able to come with me so I wanted to confirm here that if I buy the discounted youth Swiss pass for myself that he can in fact travel with me for free during those 4 days using the family card.

Thanks so much in advance for any help on this subject!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    30 November 2014 at 9:18:25 #841353

Hello teiteitei101,

Welcome to our website! The Swiss Family Card can only be used by children under 16 who travel along with one or both of their parents. You can’t take along your brother with a Swiss Family Card. See here for all information please.

Other discounts can be found here. The 1-day travelpass mentioned on that page could be worth it for the longer travel days, or your brother could simply get a 50% discounted Swiss Pass as mentioned here on the Swiss Pass page. It all depends on your exact plans. See here for how to select the cheapest pass option.

I hope this helps!

Arno
    15482 posts
    1 December 2014 at 9:26:58 #841354

Hello again,

Just wanted to notify you that you can get a $75 discount on your passes if you buy before December 5. Details can be found in this thread.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 December 2014 at 20:27:30 #841355

Thanks so much for all your help! I was able to get the Swiss Passes with $75 off discount!

• The thread ‘Four Day Swiss Passes for Youth and Child’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.