Free Eurail/Interrail upgrade to first class

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

PuneetAnand
    Participant
    3 posts
    2 February 2019 at 16:56:54 #903280

Hello,

Is this upgrade free for Eurail passes bought in person at any Paris station also?

We are landing in Paris on 9 Feb, so I dont think we have enough time to receive the eurail pass in mail in USA now.

We are looking to buy a 3 or 5 day eurail pass for France/Swiss/Germany for a 10 day trip.

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2019 at 7:47:48 #903281

Hi Puneet and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It looks to be only online at the moment, but you can check when you arrive to see if you can get the promotion in person.

There is also a premium shipping option to get it sent to the USA in 3 business days. The link above will give you all details.

PuneetAnand
    Participant
    3 posts
    3 February 2019 at 8:18:50 #903282

Thank you very much for your response. I already ordered mine online.

I have another question.

I intend to travel on the following 2 high speed trains during my journey :

a) Paris – Munich (ICE)

b) Lausanne/Basel – Paris (TGV Lyria)

As I understand, I can use my Eurail pass on these trains. However, I am required to get reservation on these. Can some one please clarify, if it would be easier to get a reservation on these 2 trains from the train stations in Paris when I land in Paris, or should I get these online before flying to Europe?

Also, I have heard that many times Eurail pass holders are refused reservation on ICE and TGV/Lyria because of limited number of seats allocated to Eurail pass holders. Is this a case during February also ? Should I plan for slower speed trains in that case and avoid these high speed trains at all.

Thank you very much for your responses and help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2019 at 8:31:34 #903283

Yes, reservations are limited for Eurail pass holders. I would reserve now, before arrival so you will know which train you will be on and can plan accordingly.

Mnm111
    Participant
    4 posts
    3 February 2019 at 18:34:28 #903284

This looks great! How do we use our 3 day eurail pass while traveling in Switzerland? I was just planning on purchasing point to point tickets between Zurich and Zermatt but this price looks good. Also, the Eurail pass web site indicates I need to purchase a pass for my 14 year old daughter for $199. Her child fares from SBB would only be $32 each way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2019 at 18:50:22 #903285

If a route is covered by the Eurail Pass 100% then you can just hop on the train (no extra ticket purchase required) See route coverage here: http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass/validit y

You must buy a Eurail pass for your child?

Mnm111
    Participant
    4 posts
    3 February 2019 at 21:03:22 #903286

Thank you for the reply but you did not answer my question. Must I purchase a 3 day Eurail pass for my 14 year old child traveling with us as indicated by the eurail site ($199) or can I purchase a ticket for her alone in Switzerland at the child rate of $32 each way?

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 February 2019 at 21:07:58 #903287

Hi Mnm111,

Strictly for Switzerland speaking, this card should work for your daughter: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju niortravelcard. I haven’t heard any issues yet combining that with Eurail for the adults. The price is for a whole year, not per trip.

Mnm111
    Participant
    4 posts
    3 February 2019 at 21:48:05 #903288

Thanks for your reply Arno. The junior travelcard looks perfect for my 14 year old and our Eurail passes. Can she join us in first class with her travelcard?

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 February 2019 at 15:57:36 #903289

Hi Mnm111,

No problem, the Junior travelcard is not class specific.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2019 at 19:16:24 #903290

Yes your question wasn’t completely clear to me – hence me trying to confirm with you that the Eurail site said that you must get your daughter a rail pass.

Looks sorted. Happy travels!

PuneetAnand
    Participant
    3 posts
    5 February 2019 at 6:21:25 #903291

Euro experts, a travel related question on Eurail Pass.

I am planning travelling from Paris to Munich on ICE train using my Eurail Pass.

The train goes from Paris to Stuttgart and then change over at Stuttgart to Munich.

I read online that reservation is mandatory on all high speed trains in France (so I have reserved the journey from Paris to Stuttgart).

However, I also read that reservation is not mandatory on German trains. So I have not bought any reservation on the leg from Stuttgart to Munich.

Could you please recommend if the train from Stuttgart to Munich is normally full or there are enough seats. I have first class Eurail Pass but can travel in 2nd also with it. also, we are family of 4 and travelling in mid feb.

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2019 at 12:57:22 #903292

Dear PuneetAnand

I am not entirely sure about reservations on trains in Germany, but overall it is definitely recommendable to make a reservation for larger journeys. Simply for your own comfort.

If you require further input please submit a new thread with an according topic.

Thanks and happy travelling.

• The thread ‘Free Eurail/Interrail upgrade to first class’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.