Free mountain excursions with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 14:45:51 #815504

Hi,

I would like to know which mountain excursions are free with Swiss Travel Pass. On your website, Schilthorn trip is mentioned as free, however on some sites it is written Murren-Schillthorn is 50% off with travel pass. Please help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 15:49:14 #883090

Hi Neja,

In 2018, Mürren to the Schilthorn is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. Until 2017 inclusive, the Swiss Travel Pass only provided a 50% discount for that trip, so that will explain the difference in information you have come across.

You can download a map from the link below, showing what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass in 2018.

As explained in the legend on the map:

• Red lines are trains, yellow lines are buses, black lines are cable cars, white lines are boats
    • Solid lines are free, dotted lines are discounted.
    • Discounts are mostly 50%, but only 25% for transport where you see the number “1” inside circle near the dotted line.
    • There are a few grey lines on the map as well, which indicate transport that is not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.
    • Dashed red lines on the map are railway tunnels, all of which are on routes that are free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2018 at 9:43:05 #883091

Thanks a lot Alpenrose..

one thing more, is there a luggage storage facility at Zurich railway station. I’ll be travelling to Rhine falls, around Zurich on 8th May and then going to Basel for my flight. I need a place to keep my luggage for the time I am in Zurich and around.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2018 at 16:33:58 #883092

Hi Neja,

Yes, there is a luggage storage facility. There is a link on this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage to the SBB rail station services where you can find prices for storage.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 8:54:23 #883093

Thanks a lot! The forum has helped me a lot in planning my trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 8:56:24 #883094

One question, I am searching on the Swiss transport website for trains to Montreux. How do differentiate regular trains from golden pass. I didn’t find a train named golden pass.

Also, does any kind of photo identity proof will work alongside STP or it has to be a passport. The thing is I wouldn’t prefer carrying the passport everywhere.

thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 9:09:29 #883095

Be sure to include via Zweisimmen and look for the trains denoted MOB Panoramic or Belle Epoque that ride between Zweisimmen and Montreux. Be aware of construction works that are going on: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass. During that period there are no panoramic trains scheduled in the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 4:25:57 #883096

Hi Neja,

>> Also, does any kind of photo identity proof will work alongside STP or it has to be a passport. The thing is I wouldn’t prefer carrying the passport everywhere.

On your Swiss Travel Pass it will state ONLY VALID WITH YOUR PASSPORT/ID

This will be the passport or official ID that you provide when buying the Swiss Travel Pass, the number of which will be printed on your pass.

Conductors will not ask to see your passport on every trip. In 7 weeks of daily travel in 2016, I had to produce my passport only 3 or 4 times. However, if they do ask to see it, and you don’t have it, you are regarded as travelling without a valid ticket.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Free mountain excursions with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.