Free scenic trains with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 13:46:17 #817299

Good morning

Thank you for your help in answering my previous questions.

Which scenic train ride is covered free of charge in STP?

Do we have to do advance seat reservation on scenic train rides?

Is there any extra charge for the reservation on scenic train?

Do we have to do any seat reservation on other trains also?(eg. Zurich airport to Lucern)

Thank you in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 16:13:20 #891582

I will try to answer this question with information that I currently have, as I’m also a first time traveler who is traveling there in a couple of days.

I believe by “scenic train” you mean the Glacier Express (Panoramic train).. If so, yes; you need to reserve a seat.

@Is there any extra charge for the reservation on scenic train? – I believe the reservation is free as well. But I don’t know for sure, as I’m not doing that ride on this trip.

@Do we have to do any seat reservation on other trains also?(eg. Zurich airport to Lucern): No. These trains do not need reservations to be made.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 16:17:10 #891583

Hi Tramlover,

Thanks for your help. Good luck for your trip as well.

I will wait for other confirmed answers as well.

Nisha

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 17:10:13 #891584

Hi mehtaradha,

All scenic trains (noted here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/activities/sceni ctrips/train) require reservations which are an extra cost. Except the Golden Pass (reservations just recommended between Montreux and Zweisimmen in the summer).

The tickets for the trains are free though if you have a Swiss Travel Pass (https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass), i.e. you do not need tickets with your pass.

Reservations are not needed on other trains around Switzerland as noted here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/reservatio ns

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    16 July 2018 at 19:10:27 #891585

I believe it should be pointed out that almost every railway line in Switzerland could be described as scenic.

Sure, there are some trains that are marketed as “scenic”. They are the ones described above. But there are regular trains travelling over the same lines too.

But there are countless regular trains covered by the Swiss Travel Pass that operate over scenic routes throughout the nation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2018 at 22:13:01 #891586

Well said, I’ve responded similarly to this on various posts in the past. Perhaps the moderators could stress this in the general site intro in some way

Arno
    15482 posts
    17 July 2018 at 5:45:07 #891587

We’ve planned to add more scenic routes that are not as well-known but nevertheless wonderful, like the Lötschberg line.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 6:07:27 #891588

Very true! You can’t go wrong with most train routes in this country! But typically, tourists are looking for one of the “big 4” lets call them. haha.

As Arno said, we’ve got more pages coming on other routes!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 17:21:45 #891589

Thank you guys for your very informative replies. I appreciate it.

• The thread ‘Free scenic trains with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.