Free transportation in cities in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 13:22:25 #816439

Hi,

i am planning to visit Switzerland in Oct for 3 days with one of my friend. We only can afford for a budget trip and we understand that the transportation in Switzerland actually quite expensive.

later I learn that city like Geneva and bern by staying in a hostel. Correct me if I am wrong on this. If this is true, does it means that for each day we stay, we earn one full day of free transportation in the city?any limitation?

beside these 2 cities, which city does offer free transportation? Does zurich, interlaken or Lucerne have similar advantages?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 June 2018 at 13:27:25 #887344

Hi Rachellim83 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Some cities do indeed offer free transportation and/or discounts on local attractions if you book a hotel/hostel/apartment. The offer is different for each city, and again, not available everywhere. Please see the travel section of our town pages for more information:

In many cases it involves transportation in town only, so you don’t reach the peaks and better scenery for free. The Montreux area offers free transport in a larger area though. You may want to consider staying there instead of Geneva. You’ll be closer to the Alps there too. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux/hotels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 1:13:27 #887345

Thanks Arno for the reply.

I am planning to stay in Switzerland for 3 days, as we are low in budget, what kind of transportation pass do you recommend? I noticed that there are few type of pass, like the 3 days pass, half price and so on. I am not sure which one is more worth for us in 3 days.

Thanks in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 6:16:24 #887346

Hi Rachellim83,

To know which pass (if any) is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

You can look through the various rail passes for Switzerland here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses once you are reading about a rail pass be sure to click the “where it’s valid” tab to see a PDF of the coverage area.

• The thread ‘Free transportation in cities in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.