From Bern to Brienzer Rothorn day trip

• Manfredi27
    Participant
    13 posts
    25 August 2020 at 19:52:46 #825666

My wife and I are planning a trip to Switzerland next summer and will be staying in Bern for a few days. Do any one can suggest a bern to brienz rothorn day trip? What is the best way top get the Brienz Rothorn and Get on board the Brienz Rothorn Bahn that will take you up to the top. is it worth the trip. and besides the Bahn to the top, what else is there to do?

thank you,

C

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2020 at 9:24:43 #934197

Hi Manfredi27 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You need to get to Brienz from Bern where you can board the Brienzer Rothorn. At http://www.myswissalps.com/brienzerrothorn you’ll find also a description of a round trip by bus, cable car, steam train, train and boat. On the top you’ll have a wonderful view to of Lake Brienz, you’ll also find a restaurant there.

You can also visit Brienz, a beautiful lakeside town: http://www.myswissalps.com/brienz. You can also enjoy a boat trip on Lake Brienz: http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakebrienz.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    31 August 2020 at 14:54:13 #934198

My wife and I took the Rothorn steam train from Brienz two years ago. While the steam power is indeed novel, the views of the beautiful color of Lake Brienz are impressive, when you can see it, and the knife edge ridges along the way are picturesque, once at the top there is not much to do. In fact, it is the only one of several mountaintop excursions we took in two trips to Switzerland for which I do not have a clear memory of the top. Unless you want to take the steam train itself, I would suggest an alternate mountaintop trip to Kleine Scheidegg. The first part of your route would be the same as if you were going from Bern to Brienz, but you can switch trains at Interlaken Ost and get to Kleine Scheidegg either via Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald to catch the cogwheel train to Kleine Scheidegg. The train station there has a very pleasant restaurant with outdoor seating and a spectacular view of the Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau peaks directly in front of you.

You’ll get plenty of scenic beauty no matter which way you go, and you can go up one side and down the other, i.e., go up via Lauterbrunnen and down via Grindelwald, or the reverse. Plus, if I read the SBB timetable correctly, the travel time would be slightly less and also less expensive than the Rothorn. Combined with the portion of the trip along Lake Thun, it would cover a wide variety of Swiss scenery in one day.

Manfredi27
    Participant
    13 posts
    31 August 2020 at 15:31:11 #934199

Thank you

• The thread ‘From Bern to Brienzer Rothorn day trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.