From Locarno to Zermatt via Centovalli train/bus

• SwissMiss72
    Participant
    22 posts
    2 June 2022 at 17:14:02 #827391

Hi all,

we were planning to take the train from Locarno to Zermatt in July, via the beautiful Centovalli. It seems doubtful that the railway will be reopened by then. I think I want to avoid taking the bus instead, it seems very confusing and not very well organized. What are my options?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

SwissMiss

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2022 at 17:37:50 #942790

Hi SwissMiss,

we have a discussion about the same issue here, please have a look: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/centovalli-railway-closed-due-to-subsidence.

Instead of the Centovalli Railway you can use the Gotthard Panorama Express and Glacier Express in one day. Both are panoramic trains. You can read about this more here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gotthardpanoramaexpress (Search for the title ‘Gotthard Panorama Express and Glacier Express in one day’). I recommend this one over the Gotthard Tunnel. In my opinion the tunnel is not scenic nor interesting (again it is my opinion) 🙂

I hope this answers your question,

Take care,

ildiko

SwissMiss72
    Participant
    22 posts
    2 June 2022 at 17:52:43 #942791

Ildiko,

thanks for your reply. (Edited to add: your reply is super helpful! And yes, that option sounds more scenic than the tunnel, which we will already cross on our way to Ticino from Lucerne:)

Do I have to book the ticket for the Glacier express on their website? What if I use the sbb/cff website? The difference in price is huge, would that mean I’m not in a “panoramic” car? But it’s the same train, right (leaving Andermatt at 14:08, arriving in Zermatt at 17:10)?

Thank you!!

SwissMiss72
    Participant
    22 posts
    2 June 2022 at 18:24:36 #942792

Hi all,

I am looking into the Glacier Express (Andermatt to Zermatt), and am confused: if I get a Saver Day Pass (on sbb website), it will cost us CHF 166, if I get tickets on the Glacier express website, it’s close to 500. There are no seats by the windows available anymore. Do I need to reserve a seat anyway?

Please help me out 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2022 at 18:56:28 #942793

Hi SwissMiss72,

Saver Day Pass is a type of pass – that you can use for the Glacier Express too. Above that you have to reserve your seats in advance, you cannot travel without that.

So you buy the Glacier Express ticket + seat reservation OR you buy the Saver Day Pass + seat reservation. Usually the Saver Day Pass option is cheaper. The price of the Saver Day pass varies by demand and purchase date. Note that they can also run out. You can buy it here: http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/price.

Where are you going after that? If you would like to travel while you’re in Zermatt, a longer pass might be better for you instead of the Saver Day Pass. What is your Swiss itinerary?

Ildiko

SwissMiss72
    Participant
    22 posts
    2 June 2022 at 23:17:57 #942794

Ildiko,

thanks for bearing with me on this. But I still don’t understand: if from Andermatt to Zermatt you are in the part of the train that is not the “panoramic” do you still need seat reservations? I didn’t get that impression from the sbb/cff tickets purchasing website.

We are going to get a half fare card for the whole trip, and the Saver Day Pass for that day, as it will be our biggest (most expensive) travel day.

Best, and thank you again for all your help planning.

Anna
    6355 posts
    3 June 2022 at 8:26:55 #942795

Hi SwissMiss72,

Seats on the Glacier Express is compulsory: https://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/tickets. You won’t be allowed onboard without a seat reservation. As an alternative, you can travel from Andermatt to Zermatt via the local train (Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn). Seats are not required on the local train. The Saver Day Pass is also valid on this train and you are free to take any connection depending on your schedule: https://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/validity.

Would this work for you ?

Regards.

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2022 at 9:14:13 #942796

Andermatt – Zermatt is an easy journey to make on the ordinary MGB railway trains. Just one change of trains is required .You don’t need to use the Glacier Express.

Note that some MGB local trains are formed of trains with a ‘panoramic’ windows anyway.

SwissMiss72
    Participant
    22 posts
    3 June 2022 at 15:09:18 #942797

Thank you for this information. Can I just buy my (Locarno-Zermatt) ticket on the sbb/cff website, or do I have to buy it on the MGB website (which I find a little confusing)?

Arno
    15481 posts
    3 June 2022 at 18:16:05 #942798

You mean the Saver Day Pass, right? I’m not sure if the MGB sells that, but you’ll find purchase options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/price. Where you buy it does not matter, as they’re all selling the same Saver Day Passes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2022 at 20:22:51 #942799

The SBB CFF FFS web site is the defacto national timetable and ticket purchase site. You can buy tickets for anywhere in Switzerland.

SwissMiss72
    Participant
    22 posts
    3 June 2022 at 20:23:50 #942800

Yes, that’s what I mean. I may actually get the Supersaver ticket, I know that restricts the use to a specific train/time, but our plans are pretty set for that day.

Thanks all for your help!

• The thread ‘From Locarno to Zermatt via Centovalli train/bus’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.