From Lugano to Zermatt ? Or Bernese Oberland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 7:12:57 #815190

Dear forum readers,

I am planning to go to Zermatt and the Bernese Oberland by train. Please advise me on what’s the best route to travel and if I should go to Zermatt or the Bernese Oberland after Lugano.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 April 2018 at 9:43:54 #881299

The short answer is go to Zermatt via Locarno on the Centovalli Express to Domodossola. Then on to the Bernese Oberland. Use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions at this page before delving into the timetable.

But could you give us a bit more to go on.

How long are you visiting Switzerland for?

When are you travelling?

Where did you come from to arrive at Lugano?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 6:20:15 #881300

Dear Rockoyster, thank you for your reply. We are driving to Lugano from Pontresina. Our driver will depart from here. My wife and I will then be on our own for the next 10 days on our 17 days trip in Switzerland. We are travelling in June.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 April 2018 at 6:33:09 #881301

OK. My original answer still stands.

Do you have a Swiss Travel Pass? If so the trip I mentioned is “free”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 7:48:57 #881302

Thank you very much for your timely reply. My wife and I are now planning the route and booking the hotels. Your timely reply is of much help to us. We really appreciate your kindness.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 April 2018 at 8:14:33 #881303

You are most welcome.

For some recent info on the Centovalli see this report from moderator Lucas – http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/ticino-region-trip-march-31-april-2.

• The thread ‘From Lugano to Zermatt ? Or Bernese Oberland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.