From Lugano to Zermatt ? Or Bernese Oberland?

From Lugano to Zermatt ? Or Bernese Oberland?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
PaulSim
PaulSim
8 posts
Apr 7, 2018 - 7:12 AM

Dear forum readers,

I am planning to go to Zermatt and the Bernese Oberland by train. Please advise me on what's the best route to travel and if I should go to Zermatt or the Bernese Oberland after Lugano.

Thank you.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3917 posts
expert
Apr 7, 2018 - 9:43 AM in reply to PaulSim

The short answer is go to Zermatt via Locarno on the Centovalli Express to Domodossola. Then on to the Bernese Oberland. Use the Swiss Train Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions at this page before delving into the timetable.

But could you give us a bit more to go on.

How long are you visiting Switzerland for?

When are you travelling?

Where did you come from to arrive at Lugano?

PaulSim
PaulSim
8 posts
Apr 8, 2018 - 6:20 AM

Dear Rockoyster, thank you for your reply. We are driving to Lugano from Pontresina. Our driver will depart from here. My wife and I will then be on our own for the next 10 days on our 17 days trip in Switzerland. We are travelling in June.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3917 posts
expert
Apr 8, 2018 - 6:33 AM in reply to PaulSim

OK. My original answer still stands.

Do you have a Swiss Travel Pass? If so the trip I mentioned is "free".

PaulSim
PaulSim
8 posts
Apr 8, 2018 - 7:48 AM

Thank you very much for your timely reply. My wife and I are now planning the route and booking the hotels. Your timely reply is of much help to us. We really appreciate your kindness.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3917 posts
expert
Apr 8, 2018 - 8:14 AM in reply to PaulSim

You are most welcome.

For some recent info on the Centovalli see this report from moderator Lucas - www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/ticino-region-trip-march-31-april-2.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018