From Meggenhorn Castle (Lucerne) to Weggis?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 2:05:20 #814760

We will be visiting Meggenhorn Castle after a day in Lucerne in June. What is the best way to get back to our base in Weggis from the castle? I know we can take a boat back to Lucerne and then another boat to Weggis, but that is backtracking and the boat has a very limited time schedule. Can we take a bus or train from the castle to Weggis via Kussnacht and would it be faster than the boat? Thanks again to the wonderful people here who take the time to answer so many questions from travelers!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 2:39:54 #878757

According to the Schloss Meggenhorn website, the nearest bus stop is called Meggen, Lerchenbühl, a 15-minute walk from the castle.

http://www.meggen.ch/de/schlo ssmeggenhorn/meggenhor nstandort/

You can do a search in the Swiss Timetable using Meggen, Lerchenbühl as your starting point to find out what the options are for getting back to Weggis starting with a bus.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

I assume you have checked the opening hours for the castle?

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 March 2018 at 2:50:14 #878758

You can walk from Meggenhorn Castle to Meggen Zentrum and catch train to Küssnacht am Rigi and bus to Weggis.

A shorter walk is to Meggen, Lerchenbühl and bus to Meggen, Schlössli then walk to Meggen Zentrum.

Have a look at Google Maps before checking the SBB TImetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 5:37:42 #878759

Thanks for the reply. The castle is only open on Sundays for tours and we won’t be there on a Sunday. But the grounds and views are supposed to be magnificent with very few tourists and they’re open every day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 6:37:31 #878760

Thanks, Rockoyster!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 19:35:05 #878761

I have another question I hope you can help me with. We are planning to go from Grindelwald to the Schilthorn (June) and I’d like your suggestions for getting there. We’ll have both a SwissTravel Pass and an Oberland Regional pass. Originially, this was the plan:

1…Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen by train

2. cable car to Grutschalp

3 Train to Murren

4.cable car to Birg to Schilthorn

However, I see there is a gondola from Grindelwald to Mannlichen. Is this an alternative way to get to Grutschalp and then to Murren to Schilthorn instead of going to Lauterbrunnen? Which would you recommend?

Thanks again for your advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2018 at 2:27:17 #878762

>> We are planning to go from Grindelwald to the Schilthorn (June) We’ll have both a SwissTravel Pass and an Oberland Regional pass. Originially, this was the plan: 1…Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen by train 2. cable car to Grutschalp 3 Train to Murren 4.cable car to Birg to Schilthorn However, I see there is a gondola from Grindelwald to Mannlichen. Is this an alternative way to get to Grutschalp and then to Murren to Schilthorn instead of going to Lauterbrunnen?

No matter which route you choose, you will have to get to Lauterbrunnen before proceeding further.

Options for getting to Lauterbrunnen are:

• Train Grindelwald > Zweilütschinen > Lauterbrunnen
    • Train Grindelwald > Kleine Scheidegg > Lauterbrunnen

Then the route you asked about above, which is more complicated:

• Train Grindelwald > Grindelwald Grund station
    • Walk Grindelwald Grund Station > Männlichen gondola valley station
    • Gondola Grindelwald Grund > Männlichen
    • Short walk on Männlichen from gondola station to cable car station
    • Cable car Männlichen > Wengen
    • Short walk in Wengen from cable car valley station to railway station
    • Train Wengen > Lauterbrunnen

You will need to study the validity maps for the Swiss Travel Pass and Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland, as a variety of free travel, 50% discount or 25% discount applies, depending on sector and pass used. Please note that if you have a Swiss Travel Pass Flex, and got a discount on the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland because of this, you will have to use a travel day on your Swiss Travel Pass Flex in order to use the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland.

Once you have reached Lauterbrunnen, you can go up via Grütschalp as you have already described, or else get a bus from Lauterbrunnen to the cable car valley station at Stechelberg and go up from there by cable car. You could also walk from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg, but that would of course take longer.

I have attached a diagram of the transport routes in the Jungfrau Region to help you visualise it.

>> Which would you recommend?

I would recommend the fastest route, which will take almost 1.75 hours, i.e. train Grindelwald > Zweilütschinen > Lauterbrunnen > bus to Stechelberg > cable car Mürren > Birg > Schilthorn. If you take longer to get there, you run the risk of clouds closing in and obscuring the views before you arrive. The fastest route is usually the cable car from Stechelberg to Mürren, which connects directly with the cable car to the Schilthorn. If you go up to Mürren via Grütschalp, you will need to walk to the other end of the village to get the cable car to the Schilthorn. That takes 15-20 minutes.

You can take a more circuitous route on the way back, but make sure you know what time the last cable cars and gondolas run, and what time the last train goes down from Kleine Scheidegg. Mountain transport tends to stop running much earlier than transport between towns and villages.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2018 at 5:53:49 #878763

Thanks, Alpenrose. We are staying in Grindelwald and plan on going up as early as we can in order to have the best chance of clear weather. Yes, taking the bus from Stechelberg is a bit faster, but we wanted to take one way up and then down the other way via Gimmelwald and Stechelberg so we can take the bus and stop at Trummelbach Falls. We will take the Grindelwald-Mannlichen gondola at another time. Thanks for your advice; it’s all a bit clearer now. I just hope we have decent weather. When we were in France and Germany in June 2016, we had 3 solid weeks of rain! Not fun!

• The thread ‘From Meggenhorn Castle (Lucerne) to Weggis?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.