From Milan to Lucerne in October with child

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Chamma
Chamma
4 posts
Aug 26, 2019 - 5:54 AM

I'm planning a train trip from Milan to Luzerne this October with my family, please guide me with the best route which have super views with timings. This is great help guys, I have a kid who is 2 and a half years old too. Please provide me with available options

Steph
Steph
1833 posts
top member &
Aug 26, 2019 - 11:49 AM in reply to Chamma

Hello Chamma and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Nice to hear you're coming to Switzerland.

I assume you're coming by train? If so, please find the best connections from Milan to Lucerne by using the timetable below:
- www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

For ticket from Italy to Switzerland use the following link:
- www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy

As you don't say if you'll be staying and exploring the area of Lucerne or even more of Switzerland I don't know if you'll need a rail pass, too. If so, make sure to read below link to figure out what suits you best.
- www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

In Switzerland, you child travels for free on any public transportation:
- www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/discounts

Feel free to share some more of your plans during your stay and we'll happily provide more input.

Best,
Steph

Also see:
- www.myswissalps.com/ge ttingstarted

Last modified on Aug 26, 2019 - 11:50 AM by Steph
rockoyster
rockoyster
7303 posts
expert
Aug 26, 2019 - 11:53 AM in reply to Chamma

You might want to look at the Gotthard Panorama Express (www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress) or the same route on regular trains if the timing of the actual GPEX doesn’t suit.

Chamma
Chamma
4 posts
Aug 27, 2019 - 9:57 AM

Thanks Steph & Rockoyster for the valuable input.

I'm interested in travelling in Bernina Express where I heard the best possible views available. In that case what would be my best option

I wouldn't mind stopping over in one place for a night so I can divide the train ride in to 2 days

rockoyster
rockoyster
7303 posts
expert
Aug 27, 2019 - 11:10 AM in reply to Chamma

You should be able to get from Milan to Tirano in time to catch the Bernina Express to Chur. You can overnight there and continue to Luzern the next day.

See www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress. You will need reservations.

Chamma
Chamma
4 posts
Aug 29, 2019 - 12:30 PM

Thank you Rockoyster

How do you rate Bernina Express vs Gotthard Panorama Express

I see that for me Gotthard Panorama Express would be more feasible and comfortable with my son, saying that I do not want to compromise on the views and experience too

Please advise

rockoyster
rockoyster
7303 posts
expert
Aug 29, 2019 - 8:55 PM in reply to Chamma

Tough choice.

I enjoyed the Bernina Express train ride far more than the GPEX train but the boat leg of the GPEX from Flüelen to Luzern was great.

Chamma
Chamma
4 posts
Sep 2, 2019 - 6:21 AM

Thank you Rockoyster

Need your expertise on Railway tickets too, My plan is like below

Please advise me whether to take individual ticktes or rail pass? which would be cheaper for me

19th October - Rome to Milan then from Milan to Tirano

20th October - Tirano to Chur

21st October - Chur to Luzern

24th October - Luzern to Grindewald

25th October - Grindewald to Geneva

rockoyster
rockoyster
7303 posts
expert
Sep 2, 2019 - 6:32 AM in reply to Chamma

I would say get separate tickets Rome to Tirano. From there the Swiss Travel Pass should work for you.

Steph posted links earlier on travelling from Italy and how to Choose the best rail pass.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass you will still need seat reservations for the Bernina Express, including for your child if they need a separate seat.

You could pick up some of the Glacier Express and Gotthard Panorama Express routes by going Chur to Luzern via Andermatt.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019