From Murren to Venice best route via train?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 October 2017 at 20:29:29 #813461

Trying to get input on traveling from Murren to Venice. Checked a lot of routes but I am looking for suggestions in the most scenic that will not add too much additional time to the ride. Any suggestions are appreciated! We have a swiss travel pass and look to leave Murren before sunrise. We would love to see as much beauty as possible!

I found a few routes that go north through Luzern,Bern, Zurich and then south through Chiasso and others that go through Spiez, Brig, Domodossola, etc.

As far as the international travel I have a question! Do we pick out a route that we will travel and buy a ticket from the bordering city to Venice?

Thanks!

-Adam

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 October 2017 at 2:03:55 #870721

Hi Adam,

Do you want to go from Mürren to Venice in one day? If so then the possibilities are probably limited to the ones you’ve already researched.

Yes you just need to buy a ticket for the Italian train from the Swiss border to Venice. Reservations are required on the Italian trains as I understand it.

Spiez to Brig via Kandersteg is a nice scenic trip. So is Domodossola to Locarno via the Centovalli Express (covered by Swiss Travel Pass) even though it transits Italy. Locarno to Chiasso requires a few changes of train.

If you had more than one day then you could go Brig to Chur on the Glacier Express route and Chur to Tirano on the Bernina Express route. I’d say they would qualify as the most scenic.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2017 at 8:13:21 #870722

Hi Adam,

As far as buying tickets for the international route – you are best off buying a ticket online so you don’t need to get off the train at the border town. Use the link above from Rockoyster.

If you do the direct route it would probably be via Domodossola so you need a ticket from then onwards. Simply show train workers that ticket once the train has passed that town.

• The thread ‘From Murren to Venice best route via train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.